DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LIPO bags

Though slightly off topic, there was a very good example shown on news channels here and across Australia over the weekend, where a portable battery charging unit caught fire (cause not reported) on the front seat of an SUV. The woman driving the vehicle barely had the time to get her two children out and away from the SUV before it erupted into a fireball. The vehicle was gutted. Thankfully no one was injured.

Just for interest and clarification . . .

I just found a further news report on this, more light shed on the cause and battery concerned . . .
PICTURED: Mum who pulled her kids from car seconds before it exploded

"Ms Hayes was having problems with her car battery so she decided to buy a back-up battery pack to keep in her car and jump start the engine when need be."

. . . and it was a Boxo brand high power mini jump pack.
Seems this has been withdrawn form supply here as links I found were no longer valid.

However looking around most of these battery mini jump packs are Lithium-ion based, not sure how that is compared to Lipo.

A Lithium polymer battery is a type of Lithium ion battery.

Ok, probably similar characteristics.
A lot of people use those small jump packs, keeping them in their vehicle glovebox.
The warning in the story on the charger say not to leave in sun too long, so there could be more of these fires in cars down the road (pun intended).

I wonder about the auto discharge too ?
The batteries get warm at least when doing this at whatever period it's set for.
That's a non-issue. The self discharge process doesn't generate enough heat to damage anything.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Discharge . . . no they don't ask for it, but with drone batteries being a lot higher power than the average phone battery, it's just common sense really.
Drone batteries are not as numerous as phone batteries by a long shot, but news articles about phone batteries spontaneously combusting are fairly common.
The Mavic series do fall under the maximum allowable watt level battery on board by a fair bit.

Even so, I'll just err on the side of caution flying with well discharged batteries, I myself don't want to be sitting under my cabin bag in the locker above if something happened with one or more, it'd be at least embarrassing.
Common sense. Those are 2 very important words to use whether things are required or not. Yes it is best to travel or store lipos at a partial charge even though airlines don't require it. The US postal service requires batteries to be discharged. And DJI discharges and sometimes hibernates the batteries before shipping. There is a reason.

Last edited:
Common sense. Those are 2 very important words to use whether things are required or not. Yes it is best to travel or store lipos at a partial charge even though airlines don't require it. The US postal service requires batteries to be discharged. And DJI discharges and sometimes hibernates the batteries before shipping. There is a reason.
But not a good enough reason for air safety authorities and airlines to request discharging everyone's laptop battery, and those in iPads and mobile phones, which would account for a lot more Lipo batteries on each flight that the small number of drone batteries?
It's wonderful that you think you are being so safe, but no-one else on the flight is.

USPS and DJI are doing it because they have to comply with the IATA regulations for shipping lithium batteries as freight.

But the regulations for carry-on on passenger flights are quite different:

Reactions: msinger
not a good enough reason for air safety authorities and airlines to request discharging everyone's laptop battery, and those in iPads and mobile phones, which would account for a lot more Lipo batteries on each flight that the small number of drone batteries?

Absolutely, and despite the very much higher capacity of most drone batteries, probably the only reason we are getting away with it for now.
There may well be a limit in mAhs brought in one day, or maybe the general watt limits are adequate, I guess with all lithium battery those specs are linked closely anyway.

Reactions: Former Member
Except itself.
The self discharge process is not known to damage batteries. So, you can rest easy tonight if you're allowing your batteries to self discharge.

Reactions: dirkclod
Is there any consensus on the safest storage bag for 2-3 M2P LIPO batteries?

Amazon has a bunch listed for only around $10, but I'm more interested in safety than saving a few dollars.
My concern is about charged batteries in the house, not necessarily for airplane travel.

A link to a proven high quality bag would be appreciated .
Never charge batteries unattended, you can put them in a pan to contain fire, though rare with undamaged batteries. I would think having them in LiPo bags would generate too much heat.

The self discharge process is not known to damage batteries. So, you can rest easy tonight if you're allowing your batteries to self discharge.

The self discharge process will not recharge your battery if it drops below critical level, so its a one way street. Yes, the self discharge function is a last resort if a person is too lazy or forgets to discharge the battery to storage level, but I would never trust that feature to maintain my battery. I wouldnt sleep well if I let my $160 M2 lipo discharge itself over a 10 day period of time.

An owner must monitor batteries as they charge and discharge. If a battery is left to discharge itself, and youre not watching it, that not being safe.

Once again, I recommend all pilots discharge their batteries if they are not going to be used for a few hours. That is good battery maintenance.

Never charge batteries unattended, you can put them in a pan to contain fire, though rare with undamaged batteries. I would think having them in LiPo bags would generate too much heat.

I agree 100% that batteries should never be left to charge or discharge unattended. Even after discharge, check them often.

But not a good enough reason for air safety authorities and airlines to request discharging everyone's laptop battery, and those in iPads and mobile phones, which would account for a lot more Lipo batteries on each flight that the small number of drone batteries?
It's wonderful that you think you are being so safe, but no-one else on the flight is.

USPS and DJI are doing it because they have to comply with the IATA regulations for shipping lithium batteries as freight.

I can only do my part to insure safety. An exploding 4s fireball on an airline flight would be catastrophic.

Meta: As usual, you are correct but I would add that those regs apply to shipments by AIR. FedEx, UPS, etc., all have to deal with Dangerous Goods and have a special container accessible by the crew and plumbed with two full-size Halon bottles.

I've become quite the skeptic in my old age and IMHO, the regs for passenger flights do not contain such stringent safety procedures because, it would cost the airlines dearly and, PO darn near every passenger trying to get through security. The FAA, unless backed up against a wall, will almost always side with the carriers. Sad but ever so true...money talks and well, you all know the rest. But the absence of such stringent regulations most certainly doesn't imply that all those LiPo's on the flight are any less dangerous because obviously, they are not.

Well, reading this and watching the videos, I've just bought another 2 LiPo bags so my batteries will shortly be in separate storage.

Oh, and found this interesting video re bags versus ammo boxes (apols if somebody has already linked it):

Pro-tip - they pour water on a LiPo fire in test #3. Don't do this with Li batteries (LiPo is different - drowning them is the best way out). The chemicals are not nice. Use a properly rated (Class D) fire extinguisher.

I agree with your statement. However I wouldnt let them sit around for a couple of months before checking them. I consider it a responsibility to own Lipo batteries, and they take a bit of maintenance to keep them lively and safe.

It is usually not a good idea for a drone owner to have more batteries than he needs, for this exact reason. If you are a casual pilot, and never use your extra batteries, you are doing harm to them by just letting them sit around. If something goes wrong, and the battery level drops below storage, you might be looking at a dangerous situation, or at the very least, stressed out batteries.

Sometimes less is better.

Who lets their drone sit around for "a couple of months" when it is so much fun to fly? My area of AZ has had some high winds for the last week or so & I am going 'stir crazy!' LOL! :D? (couldn't find a drone emoji...)

Yes, so the poisonous vapors can get out after it catches fire. :rolleyes:

Guys, just use a Lipo bag. No drama, and no alteration of an otherwise safe device. Plus, noone will think youre a psycho for carrying around an ammo can at the park. Such a simple solution.

LiPo Charge Protection Bag, Small | HorizonHobby

Lol, just saw this link in recent other reply . . .
Not sure this is the best design for the fastest security inspection at airports !!!

DYN1400_a0

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf