DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LiPo batteries storage

Oman

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Another ɓattery question, I would like to hear some responses on how and where to store LiPo batteries when not used for a while. I have been flying for a while, so far so good. Just wondering if there is any updates on Safe storage. I have seen some reports on battery 🔥. Right now I store in the house , because its either too cold or too hot in the garage. I welcome any new suggestions.
Thanks oman

I store my dji batteries in a metal cabinet in the house (cool and dry) When not in use I keep them at 60% Even though the chance of fire is pretty slim with the intelligent batteries I still like the metal idea. I store my RC LIPOs OUTSIDE in my workshop they are in concrete blocks I place them in the little space. The R. C. Batteries are much more Risky than the DJIs so they stay outside. Many I know use ammo cans from the surplus store.

Reactions: bcfd29
Another ɓattery question, I would like to hear some responses on how and where to store LiPo batteries when not used for a while. I have been flying for a while, so far so good. Just wondering if there is any updates on Safe storage. I have seen some reports on battery 🔥. Right now I store in the house , because its either too cold or too hot in the garage. I welcome any new suggestions.
Thanks oman
Do you mean you put your RC in garage, I have a RC pro controller I keep it next to my bed lol
Thanks for your suggestions
Oman

Reactions: To Be Mavic
@Oman when he says RC batteries ,i believe the RC he is referring to stands for( Radio control) as in model flying ,or other forms of radio controlled models ,not the actual drone controller
most of them use standard Lipos that dont have the smart tech for discharging and cell protection built in to them ,although in recent times ,they are becoming more and more like DJI batteries, that can communicate battery charge, and cell voltages remaining info back to the controller

@Oman when he says RC batteries ,i believe the RC he is referring to stands for( Radio control) as in model flying ,or other forms of radio controlled models ,not the actual drone controller
most of them use standard Lipos that dont have the smart tech for discharging and cell protection built in to them ,although in recent times ,they are becoming more and more like DJI batteries, that can communicate battery charge, and cell voltages remaining info back to the controller
Thanks I was a little confused about!
Oman

Reactions: old man mavic
The batterys in the controller don't get banged around like the ones on the model planes or FPV drones so they get to stay inside the house, but I still charge them in the workshop as opposed to the house. just for safety sake.

The batterys in the controller don't get banged around like the ones on the model planes or FPV drones so they get to stay inside the house, but I still charge them in the workshop as opposed to the house. just for safety sake.
Yeah I understand now , I didn't know how he was taking the batteries from his RC (radio control) out and putting them in the shed. I thought he meant RC ( remote control) for a drone.
Thanks Oman

Mine are in their own little compartments in the LowePro Droneguard backpack, 6 for the M1P.
This sits on my office shelf.

Ditto the Spark, 3 are in the drone and DJI charging station, that and 2 more batteries in HD ziplock bags are stored on their own backpack, in the same office shelving.

If not flying for a couple of months, I make sure to check them from time to time, and if I find them getting a little low (eg 1-1/2 leds) I'll make a plan to charge all up and go fly all out to 2 solid / 1 flashing leds (storage level).

Every flight, I check swelling before / after flight, check temp by touching to ensure not too hot, and also check cell balances.
Every charge up, I check the batteries periodically for temps a few times, and just after fully charged check for swelling.

They all still fly as good as they did when new, the 2017 / 2018 era, so very happy with how good they are performing and the endurance of the builds.

Mine are in their own little compartments in the LowePro Droneguard backpack, 6 for the M1P.
This sits on my office shelf.

Ditto the Spark, 3 are in the drone and DJI charging station, that and 2 more batteries in HD ziplock bags are stored on their own backpack, in the same office shelving.

If not flying for a couple of months, I make sure to check them from time to time, and if I find them getting a little low (eg 1-1/2 leds) I'll make a plan to charge all up and go fly all out to 2 solid / 1 flashing leds (storage level).

Every flight, I check swelling before / after flight, check temp by touching to ensure not too hot, and also check cell balances.
Every charge up, I check the batteries periodically for temps a few times, and just after fully charged check for swelling.

They all still fly as good as they did when new, the 2017 / 2018 era, so very happy with how good they are performing and the endurance of the builds.
Thanks oman

One thing to consider is getting a Lipo Bag. I store my extra batteries in these and they don't cost that much. The remainder of my batteries I keep in my cases.

Over the past three years I have acquired 10 batteries for my two drones and always store them and charge them in fireproof "pockets" and charge them 3 at time in a sequential charger. This charges them one at a time and switches that outlet off as soon as that battery is charged. All the batteries are numbered and the charging history is kept up to date and kept in the pocket with the individual battery .
May be a bit **** but it suits how I manage not having to rely on my old memory.

Over the past three years I have acquired 10 batteries for my two drones and always store them and charge them in fireproof "pockets" and charge them 3 at time in a sequential charger. This charges them one at a time and switches that outlet off as soon as that battery is charged. All the batteries are numbered and the charging history is kept up to date and kept in the pocket with the individual battery .
May be a bit **** but it suits how I manage not having to rely on my old memory.
Thanks oman

I store my dji batteries in a metal cabinet in the house (cool and dry) When not in use I keep them at 60% Even though the chance of fire is pretty slim with the intelligent batteries I still like the metal idea. I store my RC LIPOs OUTSIDE in my workshop they are in concrete blocks I place them in the little space. The R. C. Batteries are much more Risky than the DJIs so they stay outside. Many I know use ammo cans from the surplus store.
the cinder block is a nice idea especially for the prismatic (pouch type) batteries that will not contain any failures. just remember that IF they fail that the emitted gasses vent with sufficient force to propel them around whatever room they are in if not fully contained. I investigated a fire at a residence with an attached garage, where the owner built quad copters and had a number of the pouch type batteries charging, they failed, and propelled themselves across the garage spreading fire as they went. in this event the fire went undetected for some time and neatly spread to the rest of the home.

Reactions: Rchawks and SWTSU
the cinder block is a nice idea especially for the prismatic (pouch type) batteries that will not contain any failures. just remember that IF they fail that the emitted gasses vent with sufficient force to propel them around whatever room they are in if not fully contained. I investigated a fire at a residence with an attached garage, where the owner built quad copters and had a number of the pouch type batteries charging, they failed, and propelled themselves across the garage spreading fire as they went. in this event the fire went undetected for some time and neatly spread to the rest of the home.
Thanks for the good info
Oman

I keep my 4 batteries separately in LI-PO safe bags. And, then put them all in a steel box with a lid on it.
None of them are fully charged, only 20% charge in each battery until ready to use.
Been doing that for going on six years now..
So, far no problems. And, when charging, I put the battery and the charger in the steel box, and close the lid.

Reactions: Rchawks
I keep my 4 batteries separately in LI-PO safe bags. And, then put them all in a steel box with a lid on it.
None of them are fully charged, only 20% charge in each battery until ready to use.
Been doing that for going on six years now..
So, far no problems. And, when charging, I put the battery and the charger in the steel box, and close the lid.
Thanks for your suggestions
Oman

Reactions: SpitFire
Thanks oman
I store them in my climate-controlled home (not a storage locker or shed). I keep them all charged to storage capacity, which is roughly 60%. Batteries I haven't touched for a while are audited regularly. When storage charge drops below 50% (and it will), I give them a little "boost" back up to 60-ish percent. This has worked extremely well. Some of my batteries have over 90 charges on them and still work. One can definitely tell that these older batteries don't source current as well as their newer counterparts, but they DO still work.

D

I store them in my climate-controlled home (not a storage locker or shed). I keep them all charged to storage capacity, which is roughly 60%. Batteries I haven't touched for a while are audited regularly. When storage charge drops below 50% (and it will), I give them a little "boost" back up to 60-ish percent. This has worked extremely well. Some of my batteries have over 90 charges on them and still work. One can definitely tell that these older batteries don't source current as well as their newer counterparts, but they DO still work.

D
Thanks oman

I think just the battery sitting at "storage level" is fine right on your desktop. They are not susceptible to spontaneous combustion sitting at 60% in a controlled environment. lol

I mean, what about my cell phone and tablet? How about my electric bike and OneWheel? A couple cinder blocks can't protect me from all that. Maybe build a shed in the backyard and keep all these volatile items right next to each other like some kind of ammo stash pepper box? That doesn't sound right either.

I think its kind of overkill thinking with legit high quality items. Its like saying to totally cut the power from your house while you sleep, too, right? I mean, where's the line that you can feel comfortable and safe? If you're not charging your DJI drone batteries inside, then I guess you're doing the same with your phone? lol.

And GOD FORBID you drink the Kool-Aid and get a Tesla. lol. I guess you'll be taking a bus to the storage locker where you charge up and then get your car and drive to work, right? ugh.

These are safe enough. A lot more so than just driving thru crack town on your way across the city, imo.

Reactions: waynorth

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13