DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi & Google Earth Elevations

ahendrick

Reactions
I am attempting to create a waypoint flight path using Google Earth Pro on my computer desktop, save the .kml file and import it into Litchi Mission Hub. I like to use Google Earth to set up my "RTG" (relative to ground) path as GE seems to be more accurate in elevation. I set up a flight path behind my work to test the RTG feature on a hillside. Google Earth is showing about 27ft difference between point 1 at the top of the hill, and point 5 at the bottom of the hill, visually very accurate. When I import the .xml file into Litchi it changes all of the height settings and only shows about 5 ft difference in elevation.

Is the Litchi app overriding my elevation data in the .kml file? I tried changing the settings in Mission Hub and unchecked "Use Online Elevation" and then imported the .kml file without luck.

What am I doing wrong?

Reactions: brett8883
I am attempting to create a waypoint flight path using Google Earth Pro on my computer desktop, save the .kml file and import it into Litchi Mission Hub. I like to use Google Earth to set up my "RTG" (relative to ground) path as GE seems to be more accurate in elevation. I set up a flight path behind my work to test the RTG feature on a hillside. Google Earth is showing about 27ft difference between point 1 at the top of the hill, and point 5 at the bottom of the hill, visually very accurate. When I import the .xml file into Litchi it changes all of the height settings and only shows about 5 ft difference in elevation.

Is the Litchi app overriding my elevation data in the .kml file? I tried changing the settings in Mission Hub and unchecked "Use Online Elevation" and then imported the .kml file without luck.

What am I doing wrong?
It's hard to help without seeing the actual raw files. If you upload them somewhere maybe you can post a link here. As far as I know Litchi uses Google Earth elevation data as well as aerials, so there should be no difference.

Thank you both for the reply. I will check out the post in the VLM and double check all my settings between Google Earth and Litchi. I can confirm I was using the same measuring units on both programs.

Here is a link to the file I am testing.
Uploadfiles.io - RTG Test Work2 - Downhill.kml

Note, this is only for testing purposes only and I would never actually fly only 5M above ground. I wanted to see that Litchi was holding the same values as my Google Earth path and has lead me to this question. I was also under the impression that Litchi used Google Earth for elevation data but when I create the same path in Litchi alone, the elevation difference is still only 5ft.

I have even exported my .kml file out of Litchi, back in to GE and sure enough the flight patch changed from the original import. Scary!

Appreciate the feedback.

I started to experiment with waypoints when DJI introduced WP 2.0 about two weeks ago. I quickly noted that it DJI's implementation was very primitive and started to learn Litchi waypoints. Because of the weather (almost continuous blizzard), I've only flown three different missions around our house. In these tests, the port from Google Earth -> Litchi Mission Hub -> Litchi real-time control worked flawlessly. This is a wild guess, but some posters have noted problems when flying below the starting point. Have you tried what happens when you start at the lowest point or increase your altitude so that you never fly below the starting point?

I started to experiment with waypoints when DJI introduced WP 2.0 about two weeks ago. I quickly noted that it DJI's implementation was very primitive and started to learn Litchi waypoints. Because of the weather (almost continuous blizzard), I've only flown three different missions around our house. In these tests, the port from Google Earth -> Litchi Mission Hub -> Litchi real-time control worked flawlessly. This is a wild guess, but some posters have noted problems when flying below the starting point. Have you tried what happens when you start at the lowest point or increase your altitude so that you never fly below the starting point?

Yes I did try an up hill path at a park near by my house.

Uploadfiles.io - Cunningham Hill Test.kml

This hill has about a 20m increase in elevation from the bottom of the hill to the top. I have a 50m above ground distance set and when I import into the Litchi Mission Hub, the elevation shows only 2.2m increase in elevation.

I did notice in my Litchi settings, if have the "Use Online Elevation" unmarked and try and upload my .kml, I get a warning message saying I am missing a Digital Elevation Model. When I check the box and re-import, then I see the heights show up but they are off from GE.

litchi hub elevation warning.jpg

Conclusion, the Litchi hub Online Elevation services are not accurate and I need to create my own DEM out of Google Earth and supply that to the the Litchi hub.

litchi hub help dem.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman