DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lithium Polymer (LI-PO) Batteries

But they WILL allow them in carry on without LiPo bags. I am assuming the idea is that if there is a fire within the cabin as a result of a LiPo it can be handled using the proper method to extinguish. In checked baggage in the cargo hold of a plane such a fire could go un-noticed and become catastrophic.

I just got back from a RT from DAL to SFO. On the westbound flight, I had discharged them, had them in bags with terminal covers, and laid them in their own tray when I went thru TSA. Nobody paid them any mind. If your LiPo batts are in your carryon, the airline won't even know you have them. On the return trip, I just left them in my carryon (though discharged, bagged, with terminals covered). TSA only asked me about electronics. Guess TSA doesn't worry about LiPos anymore either.

Reactions: jwwphoto
Really? No wonder they haven't been going down.

How long can I keep them fully charged without damaging the battery?

10 days must be ok as DJI default, but 5 days is probably going to be more efficient, as may simply use their drones a couple of days a week anyway.

At least at 5 days you won’t be as likely to go tests by them and resetting :D

Reactions: jwwphoto
I charge all my lithium batteries in my garage in a 16" round heavy ceramic flower pot.
I place the battery on my concrete floor with the pot upside down over the battery.
I feel totally at ease doing this even if I were to leave it unattended.
I ground a small notch in the lip of the pot for the cord to sneak through.
I have been using this technique ever since lithium batteries became popular.

Here's a link to a very comprehensive LiPo battery primer: Understanding RC LiPo Batteries Look towards the bottom for storage recommendations.

I've been storing LiPos for as long as 2 years with the recommended storage charge (about 40%, or 3.8v per cell) with no adverse effects.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redrover61