DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lithium Polymer (LI-PO) Batteries

jwwphoto

Reactions
These things scare the heck out of me. I know there is a concern with charging while unattended. But what about plain storage. I have all my gear in a backpack in an air conditioned or heated room. When not charging, should I keep them on a non flammable surface or are they safe just sitting there?

I have never owned a LIPO battery before, Please educate me....

Jeff

If you are concerned get some LiPo safe bags on the cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/Teenitor-Fir...69&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=lipo+safe+bags&psc=1
$7.80 will bring you piece of mind.

I have not seen many spontaneous combustion postings on this forum or Phantom Pilots so for the most part they are few and far between.

LiPo batteries are susceptible to overcharging and that can allow then to explode or ignite. The charging circuitry in these batteries keeps that from happening.

Reactions: jwwphoto
They're pretty stable, if you don't **** around with them. I just leave them in the charger, unattended. The LiPos will stop charging on their own, and even discharge automatically after a while.

Jeff, it is my understanding that a lipo, which is neither being discharged or charged, or is not undergoing some kind of physical disturbance, shock puncture or extreme temperature, is extremely unlikely to ever malfunction or become unstable. The liability would simply be too great for them to even be sold to the general public.

Even during charge and discharge, the risk of malfunction is incredibly low, although somewhat higher than being inactive.

I've owned dozens of packs, of much lesser quality and built in safety features, than the Mavic's, and subjected them to all manners of stresses and abuse, and aside from cutting them open, shorting them or deliberately driving a spike through them, I've never seen anything worrisome.

These things scare the heck out of me. I know there is a concern with charging while unattended. But what about plain storage. I have all my gear in a backpack in an air conditioned or heated room. When not charging, should I keep them on a non flammable surface or are they safe just sitting there?

I have never owned a LIPO battery before, Please educate me....

Jeff
I have many and none of them have ever been an issue just sitting. Charging is when they can be explosive in a home as long as you aren't hitting them with a hammer.

If you are concerned get some LiPo safe bags on the cheap.

Good advice. If you decide to take an airline with your drone, you can use the bags to bring the batteries as carry on. (They won't let them in checked in baggage.)

Good advice. If you decide to take an airline with your drone, you can use the bags to bring the batteries as carry on. (They won't let them in checked in baggage.)

But they WILL allow them in carry on without LiPo bags. I am assuming the idea is that if there is a fire within the cabin as a result of a LiPo it can be handled using the proper method to extinguish. In checked baggage in the cargo hold of a plane such a fire could go un-noticed and become catastrophic.

Just did some reserch, if you always use LiPo battery properly, then they'll be fine. LiPo fires are rare, and it seems tend to happen more often when batteries are fully charged or being overcharged.
Me personally storage mine LiPo batteries without a safety bag... now I'm considering one, but just want to put my batteries in it when I go out to fly haha.

But they WILL allow them in carry on without LiPo bags. I am assuming the idea is that if there is a fire within the cabin as a result of a LiPo it can be handled using the proper method to extinguish. In checked baggage in the cargo hold of a plane such a fire could go un-noticed and become catastrophic.
That's what I said. [emoji15]

:) Thanks, I feel better now, I’ve calmed down.

Jeff

Awesome! Now apply that same calmness to your flights. Schedule time to work on skills that you need to better develop during each flight.
For instance, schedule to fly in order to work on learning how to fly using Course Lock in an open area and get a "feel" for how you can position the Mavic in a straight line away from you and yet rotate it to the left or right and capture video while flying parallel to a point of interest.

Then do the same with Home Lock for another session.
Explore the Intelligent Modes one by one to get a better understanding of them. Tripod Mode is a good one to start with as it allows very controlled flight and is especially useful in tight surroundings.

Make it training exercises that you structure. Kind of a Mavic Boot Camp.

Remember that in a stressful situation one can take thier fingers off the sticks and the Mavic will hover. This gives time to mentally regroup and decide the best course of action.

Reactions: BWphoto
This scared me too.

I normally charge my batteries and leave them thinking that I'll have a flight within 10 days.

Now because of winter weather im exceeding the 10 days. I haven't notice the batteries discharge yet?

Do they start to slowly discharge from the 10th day (if that os what it's set to)? When should I expect the first LED to drop?

Thanks, BDoG

Jeff

Awesome! Now apply that same calmness to your flights. Schedule time to work on skills that you need to better develop during each flight.
For instance, schedule to fly in order to work on learning how to fly using Course Lock in an open area and get a "feel" for how you can position the Mavic in a straight line away from you and yet rotate it to the left or right and capture video while flying parallel to a point of interest.

Then do the same with Home Lock for another session.
Explore the Intelligent Modes one by one to get a better understanding of them. Tripod Mode is a good one to start with as it allows very controlled flight and is especially useful in tight surroundings.

Make it training exercises that you structure. Kind of a Mavic Boot Camp.

Remember that in a stressful situation one can take thier fingers off the sticks and the Mavic will hover. This gives time to mentally regroup and decide the best course of action.

Heck, I dont even have a lipo bag for charging. I have been known to charge a battery inside a sauce pan with vented lid though :D.

This scared me too.

I normally charge my batteries and leave them thinking that I'll have a flight within 10 days.

Now because of winter weather im exceeding the 10 days. I haven't notice the batteries discharge yet?

Do they start to slowly discharge from the 10th day (if that os what it's set to)? When should I expect the first LED to drop?
If you check the battery status, it will reset the countdown.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cambam34