DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Live streaming... terrible? Useless?

f00f

Reactions
Forgive the noob queries here as I've only been flying for a couple of weeks, and indeed the general consensus on the interwebs at large is that live streaming with DJI GO 4 on a MP or otherwise is simply atrocious.

But I didn't think it would be THIS bad. Good lord. I was just outside my residence intentionally to stay on Wifi signals and I didn't fly very far -- maybe 100 feet away from me and a few feet off the ground. The FB stream as observed by my few viewers, as well as what I saw of the saved video afterwards, was beyond terrible. Entire chunks of the timeline were simply gone.

Apparently it's just as bad if not worse with YouTube streams.

So is this indeed the general consensus, that live streaming is utterly terribad and ultimately pointless?

Thanks!
Keith
"Lawngguylind, New Yawk"

Pointless for sure because who wants to see a whole boring drone flight live beyond maybe once out of curiosity anyway :p

But if you want to use it anyway you'd probably want to be on 4G with good coverage rather than WiFi, as the latter will clash with the Mavic's transmission.

Reactions: JHSlayer
Pointless for sure because who wants to see a whole boring drone flight live beyond maybe once out of curiosity anyway :p

But if you want to use it anyway you'd probably want to be on 4G with good coverage rather than WiFi, as the latter will clash with the Mavic's transmission.

Yes it was for curiosity. I'd never done it before in any fashion, and it was quite impressive how poor the experience was. I had to stick to wifi because for all intents and purposes my location is a cellular blackhole regardless of carrier. I know the MP RC is in the 2.4 GHz band and this, being an apartment complex, is likely saturated with such frequencies (my own wifi net is 5GHz however).

I've found it useless, I've tried it a few times on a high speed 4G connection but you get brief animated moments then massive drops and skips. I'm assuming the problem is that the phone is trying to encode the stream in real time to avoid a delay but failing to mostly do that hence the numerous drops, given the video to the cache is smooth I'd rather they streamed from there with a delay instead. That is guesswork though and for now and for whatever reason, the live streaming isn't much good.

I haven't tried it, but it seems to me that dropping the video resolution should improve streaming.

Iv tried it in utube and has worked well for me so far

My one time experience on FB went pretty well. I had cellular connect. I'd rather not have an audience with which to share my incompetence.

I tested it, just to see if it worked. Did this in my backyard, 10 feet from my modem with a 5G connection, full strength. Still sucked and froze constantly.b

Not only the connection speed is important. Also your mobile device has to handle the data. Which device were you using?
and maybe using WiFi to your modem interferes with the Mavics WiFi fighting for data rate? Try cell data.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada