DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Local Laws and Regulations in Bergen County Parks

DroneArchitect

Reactions
This is my first time on this forum and a quick google search brought me here.

I was practicing flying techniques today at Riverside County Park in Lyndhurst/North Arlington, New Jersey, and was stopped by a park ranger. He informed me that drones are prohibited in Bergen County Parks. Does anyone know this to be true? If so, where can I locate this information? It's frustrating because there was literally no one on the field I was utilizing. A town police officer witnessed the encounter from afar and asked me about it afterward - "what's that *sshole bothering you about?" The police officer had no issue with me flying there and stated he didn't know anything about a drone ban in Bergen County Parks. Would anyone be able to provide some insight regarding this matter? Thank you!

Welcome the the forum, not a good first post to have to make, but all the same . . .

Yes, it's extremely frustrating when local govco has bylaws and rules that can conflict with state / federal legislation.
While the FAA there has full jurisdiction over the airspace, these local govco / state govco CAN make rules banning flight to or from land under their authority.
That basically eliminates take off and landing, or moving onto their* land while flying.

* Their land is REALLY your land and every other constituent of the region.

So, yes they can ban you from operating in most cases, else you have to fly from nearby outside the park etc.
This could lead to FAA rule breaking like VLSO, so effectively in many cases flying an area in such a park is virtually ruled out, if following all the drone rules etc. Same applies to National Parks where flights are also banned.

That said, there have been successful challenges, such as posted on here by @Lapeer20m

Part 1 - Drone court battle, I fought the law...

Part 2 - Drone ordinance lawsuit (part 2) updated with video

Most will give up as it appears too hard to fight such things, others will hang on like a pitbull to the end.

This is my first time on this forum and a quick google search brought me here.

I was practicing flying techniques today at Riverside County Park in Lyndhurst/North Arlington, New Jersey, and was stopped by a park ranger. He informed me that drones are prohibited in Bergen County Parks. Does anyone know this to be true? If so, where can I locate this information? It's frustrating because there was literally no one on the field I was utilizing. A town police officer witnessed the encounter from afar and asked me about it afterward - "what's that *sshole bothering you about?" The police officer had no issue with me flying there and stated he didn't know anything about a drone ban in Bergen County Parks. Would anyone be able to provide some insight regarding this matter? Thank you!
This might help . I am new to this. but from I was reading you cannot fly a drone on any state park without permission.

This might help . I am new to this. but from I was reading you cannot fly a drone on any state park without permission.

Good find, but I can see a variety of current drone rules there, such as some are stating drones prohibited on or above school grounds, another reiterating FAA regulations, one area where drones are prohibited in public airspace under 400 feet (against FAA federal rules), and another where drones prohibited in or over any park or recreation facility (in, as in take off, landing, or operating is something they can control, OVER is not !).

What's really draconian there is the 2nd tab pending laws, the seem to be VERY anti drone and looking to make life hard there for the hobby.
The other notes tab shows some interesting info too, like May 2017 town officials repealed previous drone ban following pushback from residents . . . or it may have been they realised they don't / can't control airspace.

Reactions: alopeznj
Thanks, everyone! I reached out to the Bergen County Parks authorities, and I am awaiting a response from them. I can't seem to locate any rules, laws, or regulations regarding drone laws and Bergen County Parks. alopeznj, while you can't fly in state parks, this is a COUNTY park, and should fall under separate regulations.

NJ has since revised the law allowing drones in state parks. NJ also stated that local municipalities can not pass more restrictive rules than the state.

Reactions: bmagrogan
Thanks, everyone! I reached out to the Bergen County Parks authorities, and I am awaiting a response from them. I can't seem to locate any rules, laws, or regulations regarding drone laws and Bergen County Parks. alopeznj, while you can't fly in state parks, this is a COUNTY park, and should fall under separate regulations.
The answer they should give you is: as long as you fly in accordance with FAA rules you are good to go.

Can you please direct me to these newly revised laws? Thank you!
What I found in NJ state 2C:40-27 1. b. …"a person who is authorized by federal law to operate an unmanned aircraft system may operate an unmanned aircraft system in this State for any purpose, provided that the person operates the unmanned aircraft system in a manner consistent with applicable federal law and regulations."

Also, 2C:40-29 5. "The provisions of P.L.2017, c.315 (C.2C: 40-27 et al.) shall preempt any law, ordinance, resolution, or regulation adopted by the governing body of a county or municipality concerning the private use of an unmanned aircraft system that is inconsistent with the provisions of this act."

Hope this helps.

Hey! Any word from a Bergen County representative?

I dont think the counties themselves know the law. I would fly (low key) and strictly follow FAA laws. I have been flying over the Secaucus Swamps and lakes with no problem. I gave up. But I did join a bunch of Drone groups as suggested on this blog that has really helped. I surely doubt a Police Office knows these laws.

I dont think the counties themselves know the law. I would fly (low key) and strictly follow FAA laws. I have been flying over the Secaucus Swamps and lakes with no problem. I gave up. But I did join a bunch of Drone groups as suggested on this blog that has really helped. I surely doubt a Police Office knows these laws.
hey where do you fly your drone? i live in the North Bergen area and just got a drone and i am looking to find a place i can fly my drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada