DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LoL. Finally flew the zoom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trollistika

Reactions
I nearly shat. My knees were trembling when it reached 200ft. The wind up there was drifting it and almost blew it to a National Forest. My heart jumped out. Then, my phones funny usb connection decides to act up and did the "beep beep" When you plug or unplug sound. Lost the connection. :\ Shat again. Furiously hit the RTH button. Didn't know if to press one time or press and hold. But I must have pressed it 1 million times. It flew up higher so I waved at it "good bye buddy" Lost hope and convinced my self my 1 grand will fly off to the sunset. But it slowly drifted over me, to my relief... It hovered down. I tried to reach for incase it decided to do the compass error and do a flipping flop and gone, but decides to stop hover and fly higher from my hand. Sensor I guess. So I paused and jumped to grab it. Holy moly.... I shat. :\

I nearly shat. My knees were trembling when it reached 200ft. The wind up there was drifting it and almost blew it to a National Forest. My heart jumped out. Then, my phones funny usb connection decides to act up and did the "beep beep" When you plug or unplug sound. Lost the connection. :\ Shat again. Furiously hit the RTH button. Didn't know if to press one time or press and hold. But I must have pressed it 1 million times. It flew up higher so I waved at it "good bye buddy" Lost hope and convinced my self my 1 grand will fly off to the sunset. But it slowly drifted over me, to my relief... It hovered down. I tried to reach for incase it decided to do the compass error and do a flipping flop and gone, but decides to stop hover and fly higher from my hand. Sensor I guess. So I paused and jumped to grab it. Holy moly.... I shat. :\

Change your underwear....

Hitting RTH can cancel it. There's also a PAUSE button. But RTH has a Height Parameter. It will rise to that height as it begins it journey home. That is intended to get it above obstacles, like taller trees, between where it is and HOME.

It would have been fun watching you!

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
Change your underwear....

Hitting RTH can cancel it. There's also a PAUSE button. But RTH has a Height Parameter. It will rise to that height as it begins it journey home. That is intended to get it above obstacles, like taller trees, between where it is and HOME.

It would have been fun watching you!
No joke! It was frightening! Hehe.. Then I lost the footage due to power the drone down out of fear it would take off. Wow.... Not a good day for a noob! Luckily I flew it over a 100% clean rolling hills. Not 1 angry soul in sight,

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
I will fly tomorrow again. And will calibrate the compass. People who don't calibrate before flying are a special breed.

I will fly tomorrow again. And will calibrate the compass. People who don't calibrate before flying are a special breed.

I just returned from a brief flying trip. The unexpected rain was most unwelcome. Not heavy just irritating. But I've only calibrated the compass when asked to do so. When I drove 50 miles to the Cascades to fly over snow, it asked. Then when I flew after returning, it again asked. So, that's a total of three times - when new out of box and then these other two times.

Take a tip from someone who knows.
Do your early flying in a large open area where there's nothing to hit.
Don't get too adventurous, too early.
There are many things that could go wrong (and I wouldn't include your strange compass fear) and you need to understand them and strategies to ensure they don't happen to you.
Practising RTH in an open area is one of the important early lessons.
You need to understand what it does, how it works, how to initiate RTH and how to cancel it and resume control.

ps .. if your drone is flying properly, recalibrating the compass isn't going to improve anything or make anything better or safer.
Understanding what compass calibration actually does is a much better strategy than recalibrating as a superstitious ritual.

I just returned from a brief flying trip. The unexpected rain was most unwelcome. Not heavy just irritating. But I've only calibrated the compass when asked to do so. When I drove 50 miles to the Cascades to fly over snow, it asked. Then when I flew after returning, it again asked. So, that's a total of three times - when new out of box and then these other two times.

Yep.... turning it on near a car seems to always ask for calibration. Better safe than sorry.

Take a tip from someone who knows.
Do your early flying in a large open area where there's nothing to hit.
Don't get too adventurous, too early.
There are many things that could go wrong (and I wouldn't include your strange compass fear) and you need to understand them and strategies to ensure they don't happen to you.
Practising RTH in an open area is one of the important early lessons.
You need to understand what it does, how it works, how to initiate RTH and how to cancel it and resume control.

ps .. if your drone is flying properly, recalibrating the compass isn't going to improve anything or make anything better or safer.
Understanding what compass calibration actually does is a much better strategy than recalibrating as a superstitious ritual.

GungHo( Mod Removed )!lol You must enjoy the toy! And tell that to everyone that has had a drone fly off or randomly crash with no culprit! I will always calibrate before take off! But , I will agree on the field. I must have had 30 miles ll around free of soul sucking people. Now, thats one thing I have to do.... practice the RTH. If you are a total noob, the thing flying back is terrifying since you dont know if it will stop and hover down. And it seems like it took forever to come down. I thought for sure I lost it and thought of all the trolls in here celebrating, hehe :)

I think I aged 40 years after that party. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.... turning it on near a car seems to always ask for calibration.
It might seem that way but turning it on near the car, it's not asking for calibration.
DJI's warning message is badly worded and says something like Magnetic Field Interference - Move aircraft or calibrate compass.
The compass is working perfectly and warning you of magnetic effects close to the drone.
Recalibrating the compass will never correct that.
Moving the drone away from the problem the compass is warning you of, is almost always the correct action.
Better safe than sorry.
The best way to ensure safety is to understand what the compass does, what calibrating it does and when it might be necessary.

Reactions: Drgnfli
It might seem that way but turning it on near the car, it's not asking for calibration.
DJI's warning message is badly worded and says something like Magnetic Field Interference - Move aircraft or calibrate compass.
The compass is working perfectly and warning you of magnetic effects close to the drone.
Recalibrating the compass will never correct that.
Moving the drone away from the problem the compass is warning you of, is almost always the correct action.

The best way to ensure safety is to understand what the compass does, what calibrating it does and when it might be necessary.

lol! karma gonna get you and your drone will fly away. Calibrate it dudeee! if it says calibrate , then you must calibrate. even if walking away from the car fixes the warning (in which it did)... there will be left over magnetism on the compass... I rather recalibrate to make sure. It only takes like 10 seconds. by all means, you can ignore it. But i for sure wont. Look at all the poor saps uploading their logs to figure out what happened when their drone sky dives or takes a LEFT turn to a parked gigantic ship. I bet you the compass was funny.

lol! karma gonna get you and your drone will fly away. Calibrate it dudeee! if it says calibrate , then you must calibrate. even if walking away from the car fixes the warning (in which it did)... there will be left over magnetism on the compass... I rather recalibrate to make sure. It only takes like 10 seconds. by all means, you can ignore it. But i for sure wont. Look at all the poor saps uploading their logs to figure out what happened when their drone sky dives or takes a LEFT turn to a parked gigantic ship. I bet you the compass was funny.

Like I said ... you'll fly a lot safer if you learn what calibrating the compass actually does rather than imaging that it's fixing some problem (it isn't).
I've given you some clues but it sounds like you don't want the information and would prefer to go with your imagination.

FYI .. I do look at the logs they post and I figure out what happened and it's not what you imagine.

Reactions: Drgnfli and Tilsa
Like I said ... you'll fly a lot safer if you learn what calibrating the compass actually does rather than imaging that it's fixing some problem (it isn't).
I've given you some clues but it sounds like you don't want the information and would prefer to go with your imagination.

FYI .. I do look at the logs they post and I figure out what happened and it's not what you imagine.

almost all the people asking what happened are told that maybe its a compass issue. SO I think I will go on and calibrate the 1249.99 toy every time i fly. Thanks thou dude! And here's some info for you, magnetism has a tendency to leave residue behind. so I think it should be calibrated even if moving it away from the magnetism source and the message goes away. But yet again, stubbornness will convince you otherwise . Take my advice dude!

Yep.... turning it on near a car seems to always ask for calibration. Better safe than sorry.

It was not near the car. On the Cascade trip, I hiked about a mile and half from the car. It was the distance moved. On returning home, I was in the same back yard I have flown before. The only other time it asked to be calibrated was when I unpacked it and took it to the back yard. Again, it was the 50 or so miles that generated the compass recalc request. And being near or in a car had nothing to do with it. Since the drone was transported 600 miles in a car and back (I did not get a chance to fly in Sun Valley) and once home, it has flown and did not need recalibrating. Then it traveled 300 miles each way to Bend, again, no flight happened. Again, once home, no recalibration. It was the physical relocation that required the calibration.

But I'm not sure you do any harm but falsely suggesting it must be done each time you fly. The drone will tell you when it needs it. Or move it away from powerlines or large metal objects or rebar in concrete.

almost all the people asking what happened are told that maybe its a compass issue. SO I think I will go on and calibrate the 1249.99 toy every time i fly. Thanks thou dude! And here's some info for you, magnetism has a tendency to leave residue behind. so I think it should be calibrated even if moving it away from the magnetism source and the message goes away. But yet again, stubbornness will convince you otherwise . Take my advice dude!
Thanks for the advice.
I've only flown 5000 kilometres in four years and you've flown once, so what would I know.

ps .. I still haven't calibrated anything on my #1 drone since I bought it 2.5 years ago.
Learn what calibrating the compass actually does (it's nothing like you imagine) and you'd fly safer.

Guys you should have known by his name and researched
his posting what was going to transpire in this.
No need for it to continue on as he won’t listen to those
that know and this will continue till I stop it.
Just did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661