DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

London - Mavic Pro

thirdcolt

Reactions
Based in east London, the former docklands area, now regenerated. Just bought a second hand (pre loved?) from a friend. Already have a Yuneec Typhoon H but wanted something more portable (and with a more reasonable approach to NFZ. Love both of them but for different reasons....

In spite of being a 2 Drone-r, I'm just a beginner, still worry sick that i'll never see whichever bird I am flying again. Will that feeling ever goa away?

Based in east London, the former docklands area, now regenerated. Just bought a second hand (pre loved?) from a friend. Already have a Yuneec Typhoon H but wanted something more portable (and with a more reasonable approach to NFZ. Love both of them but for different reasons....

In spite of being a 2 Drone-r, I'm just a beginner, still worry sick that i'll never see whichever bird I am flying again. Will that feeling ever goa away?
Nope! Been flying my Mavic Pro Platinum for a year now and it’s getting less stressful each time but I always have that worry that £1000-worth of kit might not make it back again! Especially when I went to Whitby last month and filmed the trawlers fairly low over water. My cheeks were firmly clenched until I set down again every time!

Welcome to the forum. You will find all sorts of support and helpful advice. We look forward to seeing your part of the world.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

I have been flying R/C hardcore for 36 years, dabbled in and around them for about 3 years before that. My first investments were R/C heli before any electronics age. Back in 1984 while in the Marines in Japan. That will make one say words that I don't think are even said to this day. :oops:

If I had to take a ruff guess on investment and loss to this date in this hobby.. I would say north of $20,000. But I was taught early on that this isn't a Budget hobby. I was given a bit of incite with a short lecture after my first complete loss. My "instructor" told me (I think, he spoke Japanese:rolleyes:) something to effect of. "If you can only afford one, then you should buy none."

You should always be willing to know that if it flies it's going to crash, it's not if, it's when. Luckily since I have latched on to DJI I have never had any issues with their products. I have a P3P that has hundreds of trouble free hours. I have had a P4, and a MP1 and now a M2Z. And all to this point...Zero issues. So yeah I trust DJI, I am never worried that I will have a failure (That I didn't cause).

If you get to that point of trusting your aircraft then much of the stress is over (or should be). From there you yourself must learn in flight in steps and master those steps, before moving on. Much to frequently on forums such as this Mavic Pilots I see someone ask a newbie question here and there. And their next post is a "Fly Away" where they were totally BLOS..doing something they had no business doing crying about DJI Junk or "where does it say that"?..finding out they never bothered to RTFM.

In some secret part of my soul I actually think good, hope you never fly again..but in reality I know not to judge and try to help beyond. So now that I have driveled on...remember if you lose that edge, your on your way to lose your aircraft. But if after a couple of months of flying you find the fear and anxiousness out weighing the pleasure and hobby, you might want to get out while the getting is good and move on to ...ohh I don't know..oil paintings??:cool:

Last edited:
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

@thirdcolt welcome to the forum, in many ways that feeling of impending doom ,can actually work in your favour,because the moment you think it will never happen to me ,is the moment when it will,
no matter how good you become at controlling your drone
being aware of your surroundings ,the drones position ,the weather conditions and where you are flying are , once you have mastered the control aspect of flying ,really the most important areas to concentrate on

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine’
Repaid1- I love that Japanese saying, it’s so true!
Ii is in the back of my mind but it’s hidden by the thrill that I get flying and trying to get that perfect picture!

“Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.” - Otto von Bismarck
Lots of us with a fast learning curve assisted by the experiences of the wise and the foolish on this site(and appreciated)
Safe flying, quick learning, be wise mate and hang in there...from Down Under

Like old man Mavic comments about safety. I have strobes on my MP, use a check list, never fly beyond Line of sight. Always, have a spotter, also have the low battery warning set twice, once at 30% and then critical;y low battery warning at 10%. I never use the Low Battery RTH, always home before the critical 10% warning goes off.
My personal option is that its the worst, type of RTH, and is one best avoided. I read about how pilots lose or crash drones by not really understanding that feature. I look at it the same way pilots of single engine planes, never want to be in a situation where the fuel light starts blinking, and have to look for a place to land with only a minute of fuel in the tank. I also take a temp check of all four motors, before take off, spin all of them by hand to check for any issues before take off. In my check list, check if 100% charged iPad, !00% battery charged, RC 100% charged. If I fly over water have poontoons, never land on water on purpose. But have been reading about drones making a landing on water, which I am prepared for. And, to answer your question, I do not get sick to my stomach each time I fly, because I don't push the envelope like some of the younger pilots do. Even though I am taking precautions, things do happen.
Like today, a copter was flying lower then 400feet, I was cleared to fly, but heard him and came down very quick. Anyway fly safe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas