DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for a super cheap GPS FPV drone for practice

Gobuchul

Reactions
As the title, looking for something super cheap to practice my manual flying, without risking my MPP.

There are loads on Ebay, some super cheap but probably happy to spend about £100.

Any recommendations?

If it is simply for practice, is GPS really needed?
Eliminating that would bring the cost down considerably.

I would think anything by Hubsan would be good to practice on. The Hubsan X4 H502E costs $45.00 on Amazon. There's also the Hubsan H107+ for $30.00 on Amazon. Lots of people practice on these. If you want to jump up in size and price, there is the Hubsan H501A for $119, that has GPS.

Reactions: Gindra
I started with something like this back in 2014;

It’s better than a gps drone if you want to learn how to fly properly as you really have to get good at control to keep it in the air at the direction and height you want.

Tricky to fly, but it’s a brilliant way to learn in case your Mavic loses GPS. And, it’s small so you can mess around in the house when the weathers rubbish.

Look for a 3DR Solo without gimbal.

Refurbished DJI Tello - 65 GBP

This increases the range to about 300m

Last edited:
If you are attempting to learn how to fly FPV racing style quads you might want to look at the racing drone forum and seek out their views. That said, cheap quads are ok to have fun with, and a lot of those more toy type quads might do a reasonable job. Still one need to learn how to pitch and punch higher speed type quads provided you want to go that route. It's a different level of flying. Another aspect is if you can actually handle FPV. It turns one of my buddies guts inside out using goggles and even though not all goggles are the same, he can't handle any of them. Best to research it/test it.

Buy a tiny whoop for learning how to fly. These are available both with and without fpv support, with either brushed or brushless motors. E.g. BetaFpv.com has some nice whoops and even a starter kit including whoop, radio and fpv goggles.
These whoops can be flown even within your room without any risk of damage to your interior.
Usually most of their products are available on Amazon, too.

I guess I am not looking for a "GPS" drone, or a racer.

I would just like something to fly manually but it has stabilisation. Just want to be able to make sure I can manually fly my MPP back home or correct it if it has some issues. The Tello would appear to fit the bill.

I don't think it is necessary to get another drone for practicing based on my experience on my Mavic 2 Zoom, which might not be same as MPP. But I would think very similar. You only need to find a big space without trees, power lines, light posts and buildings around. A soccer field is the best. I don’t think it is possible to crash your MPP in that open space. Also turn the beginner mode on. And flying figure 8 is a good practice.

I don't think it is necessary to get another drone for practicing based on my experience on my Mavic 2 Zoom, which might not be same as MPP. But I would think very similar. You only need to find a big space without trees, power lines, light posts and buildings around. A soccer field is the best. I don’t think it is possible to crash your MPP in that open space. Also turn the beginner mode on. And flying figure 8 is a good practice.
Yeah, but we all like new toys! :)

• Haha
Reactions: bumper and Gindra
I would think anything by Hubsan would be good to practice on. The Hubsan X4 H502E costs $45.00 on Amazon. There's also the Hubsan H107+ for $30.00 on Amazon. Lots of people practice on these. If you want to jump up in size and price, there is the Hubsan H501A for $119, that has GPS.
I have a Hubsan 501s Pro that has GPS and, with a flip of a toggle switch, enters ATTI mode. Excellent way for me to practice ATTI. If I feel that I'm getting into trouble, I just flip the switch back to GPS and I'm safe again. $180 US. Here's a link:

Reactions: scott rand
If your computer will hack it..The free portion of the DJI simulator is not bad. It has several different views.

I find FPV flying easier than VLOS due to left being left, right being right etc etc no getting confused when the Multirotor is hard to see against a bright sky, And you are going where you are looking

I use my DJI RE goggles with my mavic to fly low and slow up river beds under trees sort of thing
I use the same goggles with my FPV race quad on 5.8GHZ I don;t race only try stupid stunts rolls flips etc with the race quad and my QAV400 and original TBS discovery

But then again I learnt to fly FPV first on quads with and without stabilization first before getting a GPS quad

Still plenty for me to learn and perfect I still crash the race quad regularly but it rarely breaks much and bits are cheap as chips

I guess I am not looking for a "GPS" drone, or a racer.

I would just like something to fly manually but it has stabilisation. Just want to be able to make sure I can manually fly my MPP back home or correct it if it has some issues. The Tello would appear to fit the bill.
It does sound like the Tello would fit the bill for you.

I've had one for over a year and it has really sharpened my skills. I have a much better perception of moving a drone through 3D space, if that makes any sense. It's very easy to make tight figure eights and other maneuvers inside the house no matter what the weather.

I liked the first first one so much I bought another one off the classifieds at TelloPilots.com

I have a Hubsan 501s Pro that has GPS and, with a flip of a toggle switch, enters ATTI mode. Excellent way for me to practice ATTI. If I feel that I'm getting into trouble, I just flip the switch back to GPS and I'm safe again. $180 US. Here's a link:

That's a great deal. I was obsessed with that drone for a couple months when it was priced $250 or more (back in 2016 & 2017). Saw SO many videos on that drone 3 years ago. I had the Parrot Bebop 2 at the time, and the Hubsan H501S had such a better camera, always wished the Bebp 2 had as good a camera.
Never pulled the trigger once the folding drones came out (MP & MA).

There are a lot of cheap drones in the market that you can use for practice but I would personally recommend getting a Holy Stone HS160 Shadow Drone. Its cheap, easy to control, and it has gps fpv.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan