DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking For Video's on How To Use the Controller & RTH?

Ray&Paula

Reactions
Hi, I'm a newbie looking into the Mavic Air. I have searched Youtube intensively for video's on how to use the controller itself such as the joy sticks, etc.. In addition, I couldn't find any on the RTH feature. Certainly there must be some tutorials on both of these but, I'm having trouble finding them. I'd like to add, I have found many video's on all the other features such as all the other modes and settings. If you know of any good video's on the controller and the RTH mode, please let me know. Thanks, Ray

Check on the DJI site as well. You dont actually use RTH per se, you set it in the DJI Go Phone or Tablet App. So you set the height it must come home and the battery level that should trigger it. (there is a dedicated button on the DJI Go App as well) all you do is make sure you have good GPS signal and compass BEFORE you take off. Then set the home point in the software (1 click) then go fly and if the battery reaches a certain point it comes home. Almost exactly to the inch from where you took off. Thats it. You have the option to cancel the RTH function and fly it back yourself.

Reactions: ksmusa
RTH is a tricky (safety)feature. many people don't fully understand it or just misunderstand it, including some people doing reviews on Youtube.

there are several types of RTH
there are several ways RTH can be initiated
there are several ways RTH can be configured,
there are several ways it will respond based on how far away it is.

I suggest you read the official DJI manual first.

Always make sure your home has been recorded. And that you set your rth altitude. And make sure to set ypur disconnection to return to home and not land or hover.

how to use the controller itself such as the joy sticks,

You can get some stick time in the simulator which comes with the GO app. No risk that way and you can try out several things including RTH, without actually flying the thing. It will actually use its on board electronics during the simulation, just like in a real flight, so you can also check most of your settings before taking it to the skies.

Check on the DJI site as well. You dont actually use RTH per se, you set it in the DJI Go Phone or Tablet App. So you set the height it must come home and the battery level that should trigger it. (there is a dedicated button on the DJI Go App as well) all you do is make sure you have good GPS signal and compass BEFORE you take off. Then set the home point in the software (1 click) then go fly and if the battery reaches a certain point it comes home. Almost exactly to the inch from where you took off. Thats it. You have the option to cancel the RTH function and fly it back yourself.

Thanks for the great information. I plan on using an iPad Air 2 but, it only has WiFi. I am looking to upgrade to an iPad Pro with WiFi and Cellular in the future in order to receive GPS. In the meantime, I believe I could use my iPhone 6 as a hotspot. Thanks again....... Ray

RTH is a tricky (safety)feature. many people don't fully understand it or just misunderstand it, including some people doing reviews on Youtube.

there are several types of RTH
there are several ways RTH can be initiated
there are several ways RTH can be configured,
there are several ways it will respond based on how far away it is.

I suggest you read the official DJI manual first.

Thanks for the help...... This is exactly why I would like to see how this is done. It appears that it would be a great feature to use once learned properly. I will definitely take a look at the DJI manual. Thanks again, Ray

Reactions: laurens23
In the meantime, I believe I could use my iPhone 6 as a hotspot.
A hotspot will only allow you to share the Internet connection. You won't need that to use RTH though. RTH uses data from the Mavic's internal GPS receiver.

You can get some stick time in the simulator which comes with the GO app. No risk that way and you can try out several things including RTH, without actually flying the thing. It will actually use its on board electronics during the simulation, just like in a real flight, so you can also check most of your settings before taking it to the skies.

That's awesome! I didn't know that. As I stated in the O.P. I haven't seen any video's on the controller itself in regards how to use the joysticks, etc. on the Mavic Air. I have seen others for example of the Phantom. I'm assume they are all pretty much similar. Thanks for the great information. Ray

A hotspot will only allow you to share the Internet connection. You won't need that to use RTH though. RTH uses data from the Mavic's internal GPS receiver.

That's great! Nice to know I don't need to have GPS through my ios device. I believe the only other advantage of having an iPad with both cellular/WiFi would be for live maps. I have been looking into how to cache maps with my iPad Air 2. Thanks again, Ray

Reactions: cal0613
Just want to THANK all of you for your help. I don't have the Mavic Air yet but, plan on getting one very soon. This drone appears to be straight forward in it's use. I have read and viewed many, many video's on this drone. As a beginner, it appears to be a great drone due to all of it's features. I shoot 4K video with my Sony PXW-X70 and RX100V therefore, this drone would be the icing on the cake once learned.
This forum in a word, is Awesome! I have learned so much here already. As a newbie, I can't thank all of you enough for your advice and help. You're a great community in which I couldn't be happier to belong to. Ray Thumbswayup :)

That's awesome! I didn't know that. As I stated in the O.P. I haven't seen any video's on the controller itself in regards how to use the joysticks, etc. on the Mavic Air. I have seen others for example of the Phantom. I'm assume they are all pretty much similar. Thanks for the great information. Ray
There are a lot of videos on youtube about the Mavic Pro flight simulator in GO. Air and Pro simulator are practically the same. You can learn to use the GO App in the sim, and see what the various (flight control) settings will do in real life.

There are a lot of videos on youtube about the Mavic Pro flight simulator in GO. Air and Pro simulator are practically the same. You can learn to use the GO App in the sim, and see what the various (flight control) settings will do in real life.
I will check it out...... Thanks, Ray Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13