DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking Up Registration Numbers

the.ronin

Reactions
Can you look up section 336 registration numbers? I tried looking mine up under "N Number" on the FAA website and nothing came up. Tried by name and nothing. My 336 dashboard has 12/12/2020 as my expiration date (issues 11/17/2016).

Reason I want to be able to look up my registration number is that I live in the L.A. area and you get the cream of the crop when it comes to drone paranoid idiots around here and I'm sure it will come a time when one of them demands to look up my FAA number on the spot.

You don't have an N# so no you can't look up a hobby registration here. You should carry your FAA Registration card with you and have it available if needed. You only have to show proof of registration to Law Enforcement and not to just anyone asking.

Your Registration # is located on your DroneZone 336 dashboard at the same place where you saw your expiration date.

If needed, you can print out your registration information after logging in at the top, right here. And you could of course access this information from a mobile device if you don't have a hard copy on your person.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yup got the card printed out and even laminated it lol. And yes I knew that was my reg number.

Would be nice if you can look up 336 reg numbers too. Yes, people out here can get that bad even if you are not violating any rules, much less common sense and decency. Like they just want to pick a fight.

Yup got the card printed out and even laminated it lol. And yes I knew that was my reg number.

Would be nice if you can look up 336 reg numbers too. Yes, people out here can get that bad even if you are not violating any rules, much less common sense and decency. Like they just want to pick a fight.

You can't look up Part 107 Reg #'s either. The database isn't public accessible for privacy reasons. Law Enforcement can contact the FAA and get that information quickly if needed but only Law Enforcement.

Can you look up section 336 registration numbers? I tried looking mine up under "N Number" on the FAA website and nothing came up. Tried by name and nothing. My 336 dashboard has 12/12/2020 as my expiration date (issues 11/17/2016).

Reason I want to be able to look up my registration number is that I live in the L.A. area and you get the cream of the crop when it comes to drone paranoid idiots around here and I'm sure it will come a time when one of them demands to look up my FAA number on the spot.
Just show them the email FHA sent you, even laminate it. I keep an image of my email from FAA open on my phone all the time.
You could also register with one of the companies selling same and get a card.

Just because some stranger demands something of you doesn't mean you have to comply, or even should comply. Tell them they're free to call the police if they have a concern and you'll be happy to talk to the police should they deem it worth their time to come out. But random members of the public can pound sand. You don't owe them your registration number any more than you owe them your cellphone number, address or credit card information.

Just because some stranger demands something of you doesn't mean you have to comply, or even should comply.

110% agreed. In theory. In practice, sometimes it's best (in my opinion) to let the foolish be foolish so you can be on your way to enjoying your day rather than fighting a fight that shouldn't even be one.

You can't look up Part 107 Reg #'s either. The database isn't public accessible for privacy reasons. Law Enforcement can contact the FAA and get that information quickly if needed but only Law Enforcement.
Got it. That's actually reassuring in some sense.

Reactions: BigAl07
As a Police Officer I contacted FAA about looking up numbers and they advised they are a long way from being able to look up people using their number. I was going to ask them to help set up some training for Officers. They said it is all still a work in progress on their end. They gave no date for possibly going on line. I had hoped it might be added to NCIC inquiries. This would be a great aid for getting lost quads home after being lost.

As a Police Officer I contacted FAA about looking up numbers and they advised they are a long way from being able to look up people using their number. I was going to ask them to help set up some training for Officers. They said it is all still a work in progress on their end. They gave no date for possibly going on line. I had hoped it might be added to NCIC inquiries. This would be a great aid for getting lost quads home after being lost.
I’m curious, what were the circumstances that prompted you to seek the contact information connected to a registration number?

In answer to your question. I was inquiring with FAA so I could get information for the procedure for a Police Officer who did get a call on a downed or found drone. I wanted to help any fellow pilot who may have lost his drone. Also I was going to inquire with them about setting up a class or a PowerPoint presentation for all Police Officers on our department so we will know hoe to get it back to it's rightful owner. There may be reasons to not like the new FAA rules but the one big benefit to the new rule of having to have your numbers on the outside of the drone is that it will make it easy for Police Officer's to read the numbers on the drone, without touching, call the FAA, get owner's information and then call the owner to come pick up there drone. I was hoping the system might work like running the tag of a vehicle on OLETS or NCIC, you know type the numbers into the computer and up comes the information. Call the owner, He or she comes and picks it up and I am off to my next call.

I’m curious, what were the circumstances that prompted you to seek the contact information connected to a registration number?

Reactions: the.ronin
Why are those number private? Real N numbers are easy to look up as are amateur radio licenses, down to the registrar’s name and their address.

Just a FYI, It is already required that the registration number be displayed OUTSIDE of the battery compartment. Not a bad idea to have REWARD and your phone number on the outside so that if it gets lost if someone finds it they might call to return it.

Here is the link to the article. I haven't heard of it being enforced yet but it sucks to be you if you are the first.

Right now you simply contact the FAA, give them the #, and in a matter of minutes you have the information. I didn't even know they were considering making it LEA searchable and until they release it I would not count on it.

What type of training are you looking for? Feel free to contact me directly as I may have some information to help you and your department going forward.

Allen

Why are those number private? Real N numbers are easy to look up as are amateur radio licenses, down to the registrar’s name and their address.

This was all done because a large number of sUAS operators are under the age of 18.

Reactions: sar104 and AMann
I understood that the reason for numbers on the outside was to make the numbers accessible to Law enforcement officials or anyone else such as fire departments who might get a call on a found drone. The fear was that a drone might be booby trapped and explode when the battery was removed. As a Police Officer and a drone flyer I contacted the FAA local office where I serve and just asked what the procedure was identifying an owner by number in case I got such a call on a downed of found drone. I was informed there was none yet. The FAA official I spoke with said he did not know any way of looking up ownership by number. As a Police Officer I can run a vehicle tag on OLETS or NCIC and identify the registered owner of a vehicle, even tell if he has insurance and what the number is on the decal on his yearly sticker. I only assumed FAA was going to do the same after making the change to put numbers on the outside.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78