DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking Up Registration Numbers

I understood that the reason for numbers on the outside was to make the numbers accessible to Law enforcement officials or anyone else such as fire departments who might get a call on a found drone. The fear was that a drone might be booby trapped and explode when the battery was removed. As a Police Officer and a drone flyer I contacted the FAA local office where I serve and just asked what the procedure was identifying an owner by number in case I got such a call on a downed of found drone. I was informed there was none yet. The FAA official I spoke with said he did not know any way of looking up ownership by number. As a Police Officer I can run a vehicle tag on OLETS or NCIC and identify the registered owner of a vehicle, even tell if he has insurance and what the number is on the decal on his yearly sticker. I only assumed FAA was going to do the same after making the change to put numbers on the outside.

It seems unlikely that there is no one at the FAA who can search their own database. I'd first suspect that you simply asked someone who did not have an answer. Did he try calling HQ to find out?

It seems unlikely that there is no one at the FAA who can search their own database. I'd first suspect that you simply asked someone who did not have an answer. Did he try calling HQ to find out?

Very true @sar104 . Whoever he spoke with didn't have a clue about sUAS operations in the least.

They CAN and more importantly DO look them up. I'm not speaking hypothetically as I've personally been involved in 2 instances.

The FAA gives LEA a set of "DIRECT" phone # and depts to get this kind of help and MORE relating to sUAS and registration & regulations.

If @Lawman wants more info he can contact me directly and I can get him going in the right direction.

Everybody should read this article from DroneDJ.com. It may help relieve some of the stress some are suffering from.

FAA enacts new enforcment actions against drone pilots

That's a new article about previously released info from a couple of weeks ago. Check out:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S