DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Loss Of Signal

Lets Fly

Reactions
Does loss of signal only occur at max distance, or can you lose it going around a structure or behind a tree line? I leave my house go to 200' and want to fly to my sisters house 2500' away. The mavic Air is to small to see with my eyes but line of site to the remote should be fine correct?

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
... can you lose it going around a structure or behind a tree line?...
Yes. Trees are not only good at capturing your Mavic, but they also excel in absorbing/scattering your signal. As for the Air, a lot depends on where you are flying. Some spots have more interference than others and can cut into your range. Line of sight is always best not only for your signal but for airspace safety.

Yes. Trees are not only good at capturing your Mavic, but they also excel in absorbing/scattering your signal. As for the Air, a lot depends on where you are flying. Some spots have more interference than others and can cut into your range. Line of sight is always best not only for your signal but for airspace safety.
Thanks Mossiback, I'm in Florida so its very flat. Once over the tree line there's nothing. Talked to my local airport and they have me at 200' over my house and just outside my house I can go to 400'. So line of site should go quite a way. Thanks again.

Anything at all between you and your drone will reduce the signal strength. Anything. Tees, terrain, houses, buildings, all of it. Obviously the higher you fly, the less these things will impact signal strength. There is no way to predict when the signal will drop out or at what distance. Just make sure your RTH parameters are set correctly with a good home point set. I almost always set my RTH altitude to the legal 400 ft so as to get signal re-aquisition as soon as possible on any disconnect.

The RTH settings that Marko mentioned are very important. A common problem with flying in your scenario is that you will get above your sister's house, drop down for a closer view, and lose connection due to the trees. If your RTH is set properly it should rise up enough to reestablish a connection.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
The RTH settings that Marko mentioned are very important. A common problem with flying in your scenario is that you will get above your sister's house, drop down for a closer view, and lose connection due to the trees. If your RTH is set properly it should rise up enough to reestablish a connection.
Yes, RTH set at 100'. I think I will take Marko's suggestion and raise that a little.

I live in a densely populated area and if I fly at home, (I am in the middle of a triangle of 2 cell towers and a 911 dispatch radio tower) I get severe interference and signal diminishes very rapidly after take off. After 3000 feet distance and height of 400 feet, video gets really choppy. Some days are better than others. The farthest i have flown from home is around 5000 feet when signal was lost and RTH kicked in.

All that said, I go 1 mile away and take off, I still have full strength at 6000 feet distance and 400 foot height.

My suggestion since you have the 200 foot restriction above your house would be to set RTH altitude to 400 feet, then take manual control and cancel RTH asap.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan