DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost... and Found

CrashPKBK

Reactions
Flying Sparrow (Mavic 2 Pro) up by Lake George in Colorado with no cell service. Spotter lost sight as she blended into the trees and then was flying around a rocky outcrop and backed into a tree. She went down and since we had no service looking at the flight log on DJI GO 4 didn't help as we just had a the flight plot on a blank screen with no reference point. We waded through a creek to where we thought she was, and spent three hours climbing up and down the rocks hoping to identify the last image we had of her impact. Every now and then, before the battery died, we'd see movement on the screen and assume it was one of us disturbing the area. Climbed up on the big rocks and saw something reflecting and through it was the camera, but no.

We finally called it as it after the third of the frustrating hours and drove home. BIG MISTAKE. Upon arriving at home I relooked at the flight log with satellite imagery and realized the problem was WE WERE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE CREEK. We went back the next day, and even though it had snowed that night, found her exactly where the imagery showed her within 2 minutes of getting out of the car.

Total damage, one slightly cracked rotor blade. NOTHING else!

Lessons learned:
- Spotter needs to call out when he looses sight even if you're in the middle of a great shot
- Bring binoculars
- If you're in sports mode (we were) do a 360 before going in for the shot, or stay in positioning mode
- Immediately look at the flight log (we waited till about an hour in)
- Screen snap what the drone is showing before the battery gives up the ghost
- If you don't have cell service, do an immediate search then DRIVE TO WHERE YOU HAVE SERVICE and relook at the flight data. That would have saved us 6 hours (2 hours of fruitless searching and then 4 hours of driving up and back for no reason; although the shots after the snowfall were SUPERB! Yes, we flew her for another hour (only two batteries left) before leaving. Did a structure, functions and rotor check first).

Hope this helps others to avoid my stupid mistake.

Flying Sparrow (Mavic 2 Pro) up by Lake George in Colorado with no cell service. Spotter lost sight as she blended into the trees and then was flying around a rocky outcrop and backed into a tree. She went down and since we had no service looking at the flight log on DJI GO 4 didn't help as we just had a the flight plot on a blank screen with no reference point. We waded through a creek to where we thought she was, and spent three hours climbing up and down the rocks hoping to identify the last image we had of her impact. Every now and then, before the battery died, we'd see movement on the screen and assume it was one of us disturbing the area. Climbed up on the big rocks and saw something reflecting and through it was the camera, but no.

We finally called it as it after the third of the frustrating hours and drove home. BIG MISTAKE. Upon arriving at home I relooked at the flight log with satellite imagery and realized the problem was WE WERE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE CREEK. We went back the next day, and even though it had snowed that night, found her exactly where the imagery showed her within 2 minutes of getting out of the car.

Total damage, one slightly cracked rotor blade. NOTHING else!

Lessons learned:
- Spotter needs to call out when he looses sight even if you're in the middle of a great shot
- Bring binoculars
- If you're in sports mode (we were) do a 360 before going in for the shot, or stay in positioning mode
- Immediately look at the flight log (we waited till about an hour in)
- Screen snap what the drone is showing before the battery gives up the ghost
- If you don't have cell service, do an immediate search then DRIVE TO WHERE YOU HAVE SERVICE and relook at the flight data. That would have saved us 6 hours (2 hours of fruitless searching and then 4 hours of driving up and back for no reason; although the shots after the snowfall were SUPERB! Yes, we flew her for another hour (only two batteries left) before leaving. Did a structure, functions and rotor check first).

Hope this helps others to avoid my stupid mistake.
So a follow up tip. ALWAYS download the google maps to your phone or tablet before heading out. While I needed the satellite view to pinpoint where the drone went down (there was a pull off on the trail right next to the crash that I could see in the imagery but not on the street map) it will at least give you a closer feel for where to search.

I always fly with my iphone 6S (oldie!) with "Personal Hotspot" turned ON. The iPAD I use does not have Data. That way I can view satellite imagery while flying.
Concur with the hotspot. My problem was there was NO CELL COVERAGE at all. I couldn't even bring up google maps on my phone. So my lesson learned is to ensure wherever I'm planning to fly I'm going to download the offline maps on my device first.

Won't help for those unplanned, but beautiful, shots; but my planned outings will have some hope.

I have considered getting a sat phone, but I've already been put on notice by my significant other with everything I've spent on Sparrow lately.

with no cell service
Glad it all worrked out in the end. Not everyone is as fortunate.
Where I fly in Arizona A high majority of my flying probably 85% or better is without cellular service. I use The Marco Polo locator as it is the only one that will work without cellular service. It isn’t the cheapest locator but it’s the only one that works without cellular cheap investment would you look at it .

Reactions: Thomas B
Glad you go it back. Since it was still alive, you also could have used Find my Drone to make it beep and flash it's lights.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki