DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost connection and crashed

Yes ... but I've never seen GPS drop out because of weather.
GPS frequencies are well away from TV frequencies and much less subject to attenuation because of rain.

So you didn't see the link I included above?
It shows that Copenhagen doesn't lose navigation sats after dark.

GPS & Fox Sports freqs are fairly close to Ku band. It is not a terrestrial interference issue, but signal loss, due to atmospheric conditions, and the general properties of RF signals.

I never said there is no GPS at night in Copenhagen. Signal quality changes, as your link showed. OP posted he was flying low, clear conditions, after sunset. In a northern region, many GPS satellites are seen over the horizon (not all). Passing by a tall building, or even a church steeple could have contributed to the Mav’s inability to RTH. My Spark flew away, and then decided to RTH, for a similar thing. But an M2P shouldn’t behave like that.

I’m happy to hear OP found his M2P, and no one was injured

I think most UAV pilots should know a little bit about why GPS can be inaccurate during certain times of the day, or month.

Safe flying!

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I think most UAV pilots should know a little bit about why GPS can be inaccurate during certain times of the day, or month.
I doubt that most flyers will ever encounter any detectable inaccuracy in their GPS at any time of day .. or time of month ??

As long as you only fly on days that end in a Y, your GPS will be just fine all day and at any time of the month, even when it's overcast.

But none of this has anything at all to do with what the OP reported.
His drone had a sudden complete power loss and fell from the sky.
Having a hundred more GPS satellites would have made no difference at all.

I don't fly mine if I don't have a "safe to fly" from the app. If it loses GPS and disconnects I have had mine to wonder off. I had to bring it back after trying to find out what and where it was heading. Very nerve racking moment.

I am really getting tired of seeing these type of posts with lost connection on a Mavic 2 pro. I’ve had mine two weeks when the controller quit working. Would not allow the aircraft to go up. ended up having to send the controller back to DJI. Their shipping label that I used took five days to get the drone to them, another week for them to acknowledge they received it, three more days to check it out and repair it, and it’s going to take another five days to get it back. So I will have owned it for five weeks when I get it back and I’ve only been able to use it for the first two. Now I’m worried that even using it after the repair that I’m going to lose control and crash/lose it because of a disconnection/lost signal like everyone else. I may have to look into returning this and buying a different product. NOT HAPPY!
I am really getting tired of seeing these type of posts with lost connection on a Mavic 2 pro. I’ve had mine two weeks when the controller quit working. Would not allow the aircraft to go up. ended up having to send the controller back to DJI. Their shipping label that I used took five days to get the drone to them, another week for them to acknowledge they received it, three more days to check it out and repair it, and it’s going to take another five days to get it back. So I will have owned it for five weeks when I get it back and I’ve only been able to use it for the first two. Now I’m worried that even using it after the repair that I’m going to lose control and crash/lose it because of a disconnection/lost signal like everyone else. I may have to look into returning this and buying a different product. NOT HAPPY!
There is no better drone for the money .

Hi all

I was flying in a all city in Denmark, the connection was perfect, distance was in cos and I was not flying very high. At certain moment I got the error connection lost, and I saw then the M2P just going down it was crazy, the aircraft crashed 60 meters from me, lucky there was no one on street. The front sensors are damaged, I cannot fly.

I have fresh care but the aircraft is also not very old. What should I do?

I had a similar thing happen with a Spark in San Marino, drone took off, but then completely wigged out, flew away and crashed into the side of the cliff. I had DJI care but now way to retrieve the drone :( I did have a compass calibration issue at the time of the flight, so there is a possibility that the same issue might have been present for you.

I got a Mavic zoom now, but haven't yet used it as the RC is making a very very loud noise. Still waiting to receive my shipping label....

Hi all

I was flying in a all city in Denmark, the connection was perfect, distance was in cos and I was not flying very high. At certain moment I got the error connection lost, and I saw then the M2P just going down it was crazy, the aircraft crashed 60 meters from me, lucky there was no one on street. The front sensors are damaged, I cannot fly.

I have fresh care but the aircraft is also not very old. What should I do?
Had almost the same problem but was able to bring it back??? ??‍♂️ But let me just say this I had an accident with my Mavic to zoom I crashed it inside into some powerlines I sent it back and had a brand new one within seven days I read and I hear all these problems I just have not experienced them good luck with yours!

Had almost the same problem but was able to bring it back??? ??‍♂️ But let me just say this I had an accident with my Mavic to zoom I crashed it inside into some powerlines I sent it back and had a brand new one within seven days I read and I hear all these problems I just have not experienced them good luck with yours!
I’ve had good service with them except their website communication is horrible it doesn’t offer of the right prompts when needed

Losing connection DOES NOT cause the drone to crash.
Page 17 of your manual explains what does happen if the connection is lost:
Failsafe RTH automatically activates after the remote control signal is lost for more than two seconds.

You are reading reports from confused people.
The loss of connection they report is what shows on their phone/tablet after the problem that's caused their drone to suffer a total loss of power.
That could be a loose battery or a serious hardware or programming issue, but it is nothing to do with losing connection.
What happened to me (not previously reported here) did not follow your scenario. I was flying in San Francisco, took off and hovered at about 30 feet. Started forward (filming in an alley) and the controls suddenly became unresponsive. Shortly after that, I got a lost connection error on the controller. The aircraft continued flying and ran into a building, beat it props to death and fell the 30 feet to the ground. (Thankfully, I had DJI Care!) Talking to other professional pilots, the drone can get confused when it gets conflicting GPS signals, which is a common condition in a highly built environment. (reflected signals from the surrounding buildings.) It was interesting in that the controller claimed a loss of signal, but the aircraft did not attempt a RTH.

I was traveling back home and was not able to post the Flight Dat. I am attaching now the fly date here. Hope someone can decode it :)

Attachments

• 19-06-09-10-17-45_FLY082.DAT
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 19-06-09-10-31-49_FLY096.DAT
    211.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 19-06-09-10-30-37_FLY095.DAT
    434.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 19-06-09-10-29-32_FLY094.DAT
    426.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 19-06-09-10-28-07_FLY093.DAT
    360.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 19-06-09-10-27-40_FLY092.DAT
    86.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 19-06-09-10-25-57_FLY091.DAT
    694.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 19-06-09-10-22-12_FLY090.DAT
    15.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 19-06-09-10-15-19_FLY089.DAT
    3.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 19-06-09-09-33-56_FLY087.DAT
    145.8 KB · Views: 2
What happened to me (not previously reported here) did not follow your scenario. I was flying in San Francisco, took off and hovered at about 30 feet. Started forward (filming in an alley) and the controls suddenly became unresponsive. Shortly after that, I got a lost connection error on the controller. The aircraft continued flying and ran into a building, beat it props to death and fell the 30 feet to the ground. (Thankfully, I had DJI Care!) Talking to other professional pilots, the drone can get confused when it gets conflicting GPS signals, which is a common condition in a highly built environment. (reflected signals from the surrounding buildings.)
What happened to you was completely different.
If you were filming in an alley, rather than confusing GPS signals, your drone probably had no GPS and just drifted in atti mode.
The recorded flight data should confirm that .. but start a neew thread of your own if you want that looked into.
It was interesting in that the controller claimed a loss of signal, but the aircraft did not attempt a RTH.
That's not unusual since the drone needs good GPS to be able to RTH.

I get tired of threads and posts from people blaming DJI or the equipment for their crashes but they refuse to post their logs. Let's see the logs! (Although, I can commiserate considering that 9 out of 10 end up looking like idiots! )

I do agree that the post must be fact-based and we should send the relevant data, however, I was traveling so was not able to do so. Now I have shared the flight Data, looking forward to the feedback of experts, before blaming DJI....

Attachments

• 19-06-09-09-35-27_FLY088.zip
    9.3 MB · Views: 3
This has gotten far afield. Bad GPS coverage is not going to cause an aircraft to disconnect. The op needs to post his flight logs so everyone can stop speculating

I was not able to upload the logs earlier, so now I have uploaded. hope someone can look at it and explain what went wrong.

Thank you, folks, for your help and support. I was traveling and was not able to post the log. I just uploaded the logs here. Hope someone can look at them and advice.
Now I am not sure if I should make use of the DJI care or should I first let DJI support look at it to see if this was a Hard or Software failure so that DJ will replace the drone based on warranty.

How is your experience with DJI Care how fast can they replace the AC?

Attachments

• 19-06-09-09-35-27_FLY088.zip
    9.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 19-06-09-10-31-49_FLY096.DAT
    211.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 19-06-09-10-30-37_FLY095.DAT
    434.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 19-06-09-10-29-32_FLY094.DAT
    426.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 19-06-09-10-28-07_FLY093.DAT
    360.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 19-06-09-10-27-40_FLY092.DAT
    86.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 19-06-09-10-25-57_FLY091.DAT
    694.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 19-06-09-10-22-12_FLY090.DAT
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 19-06-09-10-15-19_FLY089.DAT
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 19-06-09-09-33-56_FLY087.DAT
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
Send it back to DJI. If it was a fault with the drone, DJI would repair/replace it without charge. If it's pilot error, then use the Care Refresh to replace it.

I need the AC by end of July I am not sure how fast DJ is, so should I go direct for the DJI Care or not ? :/

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23