DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Control - unable to stop.

LarryR

Reactions
I was flying today over a Christmas tree farm. Everything draped in heavy snow, it was beautiful..

Then when I flew the drone close to me and wanted to land I was heading down and wanted to stop..I continued downward. I was able to force it upward but then it when I let go of the controls it continues upward. This also happened when moving forward. I had to force it by changing direction but could not stop it. I forced it to land. It was calm, no wind. It was about -6 C.

Has anyone experienced this before. Was it the cold air possibly the controller?

Any ideas I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Larry

sounds like a low battery forced landing and yes the cold would have been a large contributing factor lipos dont like cold in fact nor does any type of battery cold is a killer

Sounds more like it was ATTI mode. Post your logs & someone will confirm for you

I don't think so. From what I understand in his description, only issue was height.
Sounds like it was in RTH, wanting to ascend to reach RTH height.

Forced landing would have it want to descend, not ascend.

The cold should not affect the battery as long as you keep the battery warm prior to flight. I just got back from flying my Spark and it was -8ºC with a wind chill of -15ºC and I had no problems. My flight was just as long as it usually is when it's not cold out.

I don't have a Mavic but it sounds like the downward sensors were confused but I am only speculating.

Chris

if it was close to him as he said then it would not have gone up in RTH but tried to land, even if it was in atti mode it should have just hovered not gone up after he released the sticks

Thank you all. I did not post the log but I did visit DJI today. He reviewed the flight log and tells me it was RTH from low battery. I started with the battery too cold. When I forced it to abort it's attempt to land by flying upward it began another RTH and was attempting to reach altitude. I had stored the drone in the trunk of the car before flying it. Never again...

He did explain short, safe flights are fine during the winter provided the battery is warm. Set the low battery warning to about 50%.

I have learned a lot. Thank you all for your input.

Larry

Thank you all. I did not post the log but I did visit DJI today. He reviewed the flight log and tells me it was RTH from low battery. I started with the battery too cold. When I forced it to abort it's attempt to land by flying upward it began another RTH and was attempting to reach altitude. I had stored the drone in the trunk of the car before flying it. Never again...

He did explain short, safe flights are fine during the winter provided the battery is warm. Set the low battery warning to about 50%.

I have learned a lot. hank you all for your input.

Larry

I'm afraid that explanation doesn't really make sense, because if it had begun to autoland due to low battery then it would not subsequently have climbed for RTH.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121