DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic in Central Park, now what?

AdrienLF

Reactions
Hello everyone,

So this is my first day in New York, and very early this morning I was flying in Central Park and I crashed it in a tree near the pond... It's really high and I can't really see it although I know in which tree it is.

Did it happen to anyone? I'm not from the US so I'm not even sure who to call... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I think that park was a No Fly Zone, so if you call anyone, your going to get bit.
Really? I thought Central Park was the place in NYC where you could fly? It's really hard to find consistent information on this kind of thing...

You can try calling an arborist, hope they will be allowed by the park to climb and retrieve it.

Here's one I picked out of a hat:

Bob Redman - Home

Thanks, I'll contact him.

Really? I thought Central Park was the place in NYC where you could fly? It's really hard to find consistent information on this kind of thing...

It is pretty easy to get proper info.

Let's start with... why did you think you could fly in Central Park?

I'm just curious, I'm truly not trying to give you hard time about it.
I am wondering if it a commonly held misconception.

With all the grey areas, its helpful to know the black and white, such as no flying in Central Park.

Thanks, I'll contact him.

You can't claim you didn't know when you get fined over a $1000 if they catch you flying a drone.

If you go to google and type in two words, "NYC drone" the page below pops up. It's offices from NYC government website. It's simple to find.

Drones

I mean it's really not that hard to find lol. Drones are illegal to fly anywhere in Manhattan. Good luck getting your bird back. Be more cognizant next time and at least go to google and do some research.

Reactions: olicoz
Are you the same person who was asking where to fly in N Y C couple of days ago?

Reactions: Kman21
You can't claim you didn't know when you get fined over a $1000 if they catch you flying a drone.

If you go to google and type in two words, "NYC drone" the page below pops up. It's offices from NYC government website. It's simple to find.

Drones

I mean it's really not that hard to find lol. Drones are illegal to fly anywhere in Manhattan. Good luck getting your bird back. Be more cognizant next time and at least go to google and do some research.

Is there a law they are basing that on? I have never seen this anywhere else.

I was referring to the nyc.gov page saying if you see a drone, call 911.

It's NYC's rule and it is most certainly enforced by the police and authorities. Specific law? I'll have to check my records when I get in the office tomorrow morning. The official website states "drones are illegal to fly in NYC". I do believe they cannot just make up a statement such as that and post it on an official website.

Hello everyone,

So this is my first day in New York, and very early this morning I was flying in Central Park and I crashed it in a tree near the pond... It's really high and I can't really see it although I know in which tree it is.

Did it happen to anyone? I'm not from the US so I'm not even sure who to call... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Depending on how high it is, maybe u can pay some kid(s) to climb the tree and retrieve it. Much better then getting someone in authority who is MAYBE gonna help you but most likely gonna fine you.

Depending on how high it is, maybe u can pay some kid(s) to climb the tree and retrieve it. Much better then getting someone in authority who is MAYBE gonna help you but most likely gonna fine you.
And worst, he/she might confiscate you MP for evidence besides the fines that you needed to pay and possible jail time (well that might be pushing it a bit, but could happen).

And worst, he/she might confiscate you MP for evidence besides the fines that you needed to pay and possible jail time (well that might be pushing it a bit, but could happen).

I think kids (not teenagers) would be more interested in the cash. Besides, I'm not saying just tell them to get it at their leisure. I'm saying "let's go do this now! I will be watching from down below"

If they shake the branch and it starts to fall, maybe u can catch it.

I for one wouldn't just want to leave my $1000 investment in the tree. Who knows, if it gets really windy, it may come down and then whoever finds it will have themselves a nice little piece of technology.

Reactions: liquidxtc13
I've recovered several relatively inexpensive (relative to my Mavic!) drones from tree branches approximately 50 to 60 feet above ground by using a bow and arrow (borrowed from my neighbors kids) with fishing line tied to the arrow- shot the arrow over the branch with the drone and was, on both occasions, able to jiggle the fishing line such that it shook the branch enough to dislodge the drone. The drone, worth noting, was very light compared to the Mavic which may have made it possible.

I've recovered several relatively inexpensive (relative to my Mavic!) drones from tree branches approximately 50 to 60 feet above ground by using a bow and arrow (borrowed from my neighbors kids) with fishing line tied to the arrow- shot the arrow over the branch with the drone and was, on both occasions, able to jiggle the fishing line such that it shook the branch enough to dislodge the drone. The drone, worth noting, was very light compared to the Mavic which may have made it possible.

I thought about it and my father, who's here with me, wanted to buy a slingshot. Turns out, both these things are illegal to sell in New York... But I had the same idea, with the fishing line and everything.

I thought about it and my father, who's here with me, wanted to buy a slingshot. Turns out, both these things are illegal to sell in New York... But I had the same idea, with the fishing line and everything.

So did you get it?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54