DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LOST MAVIC PRO NO GPS

NO GPS WRKING
Sorry to tell you but there's not much anyone can do to help you find that drone.
You lost GPS within 5 seconds of launching.
At 4 seconds the Mavic was warning you that there was a problem and GPS was not working.
But you kept flying up to 400 ft and all over the sky.
Flying in atti mode is find (in a playing field where there is nothing to hit and you keep the drone in sight).
But zooming off into the distance and out of sight is always going to be a problem since the drone has no position holding ability (brakes) and no way to RTH and will be blown wherever the wind carries it.
As if that's not enough, it doesn't leave a trail of GPS breadcrumbs to follow.

After 10 mins of flying around 400 ft up, the battery was getting low so the drone commenced autolanding but where that was is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
There is not much to go on here since there are no actual GPS location data during the flight. The best that one can do in this situation is to look at the inertial data from the IMU - that provides velocity data based on initial heading, rate gyro and accelerometer data. Integrating the velocity data with respect to time yields calculate position:

Graph1.png

Overlaying that on a GE image of the flight location shows the following:

1548045705780.jpeg

That suggests that the aircraft was auto landing at the location shown above. Caveats: this is based on an initial location before the GPS lock was lost - if the homepoint is wrong then the subsequent flight path will be meaningless, and this is an inertial calculation over several hundred seconds, and without GPS data to provide an absolute position measurement the sensor drift may be significant.

Oh I wish that was true but unfortunately its was kms away as the video images showed clearly it was nearly in the next Surburb :(
It did say it was was landing at 92ft before complete disconnection of the reomote

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Oh I wish that was true but unfortunately its was kms away as the video images showed clearly it was nearly in the next Surburb :(
It did say it was was landing at 92ft before complete disconnection of the reomote

Can you provide location details for the takeoff point? The inertial data can be applied to any initial point.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
The picture above shows take off position. The top hello pin . I don't understand why the mavic gps failed already and didn't work I did nothing wrong
While we don't know why there was a problem with the GPS, your Mavic warned you that it's GPS was not working at 4 seconds.
The display told you the whole length of the flight that there was no GPS (which meant there was no ability to RTH) and it gave you details of the battery running down to 22% .
But somehow the pilot saw no problem in flying way out of sight across to the next suburb until it ran out of battery.
How do I speak to at mavic to ask for replacement ?
Just a hunch but I think that DJI might consider those factors mentioned above may have contributed to the loss of the Mavic.
But if you want to have a chat to them about it, go to this page: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
Down at the bottom, click on Online Support and have a chat with one of their people to get things started.

Let me explain : the mavic stopped listening to me after take off. No gps no control no return home and decided to do what it wanted . I was trying very hard to fly back only relyin on the camera view as it was night and could not see or hear it once it took off . Signals stopped working . And the battery was pretty much full it was 10 mins into flight when we gave up completely that it dropped below 22 percent it said it was landing ebven tho I hit rth many times . That was recorded st the start how does the mavic simply loose that data after flying that's not a fault from me it was the drone

Let me explain : the mavic stopped listening to me after take off. No gps no control no return home and decided to do what it wanted . I was trying very hard to fly back only relyin on the camera view as it was night and could not see or hear it once it took off . Signals stopped working . And the battery was pretty much full it was 10 mins into flight when we gave up completely that it dropped below 22 percent it said it was landing ebven tho I hit rth many times . That was recorded st the start how does the mavic simply loose that data after flying that's not a fault from me it was the drone
Let me explain.
The data tells a slightly different story.
Here's what it looks like: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
You used auto-takeoff to launch with the battery at 66%.
At 0:02.9, with the Mavic 0.5 metres up, you gave it full left stick and climbed to 20 metres.
When you went hands off with the left stick, the drone stopped climbing.
While climbing, at 0:04 the satellite reception dropped out and at 0:04.1 the app gave a message that said: Satellite Positioning Off. Fly with caution
etc, etc as described in post #2 above.
All the climbing and turning corresponds to joystick inputs that were recorded.

Yes, there was a fault that the app warned you of at 4 secs and recovery from then should have been quite simple, even for an inexperienced flyer.
If the drone hadn't been flown out of sight, it would have been a simple matter for a reasonably experienced pilot to bring it back even when it was some distance away.
But it looks a lot like the Mavic was responding to your joystick commands the whole time.
It was in atti mode so it would have been like driving on ice without brakes and RTH could not work without GPS.
That's what happens when you don't have the benefit of GPS position holding.
The correct action would have been to bring it back asap and not fly all over the suburb until the battery ran low.

Last edited:
Let me explain.
The data tells a slightly different story.
Here's what it looks like: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
You used auto-takeoff to launch with the battery at 66%.
At 0:02.9, with the Mavic 0.5 metres up, you gave it full left stick and climbed to 20 metres.
When you went hands off with the left stick, the drone stopped climbing.
While climbing, at 0:04 the satellite reception dropped out and at 0:04.1 the app gave a message that said: Satellite Positioning Off. Fly with caution
etc, etc as described in post #2 above.
All the climbing and turning corresponds to joystick inputs that were recorded.

Yes, there was a fault that the app warned you of at 4 secs and recovery from then should have been quite simple, even for an inexperienced flyer.
If the drone hadn't been flown out of sight, it would have been a simple matter for a reasonably experienced pilot to bring it back even when it was some distance away.
But it looks a lot like the Mavic was responding to your joystick commands the whole time.
It was in atti mode so it would have been like driving on ice without brakes and RTH could not work without GPS.
That's what happens when you don't have the benefit of GPS position holding.
The correct action would have been to bring it back asap and not fly all over the suburb until the battery ran low.
This is the typical ( Drone pilot not knowing what to do when GPS isn't available another words Mavic gone into atti mode and him not knowing what to do to fly it.)

Um thanks for your ( Mod Removed ). The wind took it . It was night and wasn't responding against the currents . Thanks for your words . AGAIN THERE IS NO EXPLANATION FROM ANY of u so called experts as to why gps failed for no reason. Gps should not of failed ! Simple !

Last edited by a moderator:
While we don't know why there was a problem with the GPS, your Mavic warned you that it's GPS was not working at 4 seconds.
The display told you the whole length of the flight that there was no GPS (which meant there was no ability to RTH) and it gave you details of the battery running down to 22% .
But somehow the pilot saw no problem in flying way out of sight across to the next suburb until it ran out of battery.

Just a hunch but I think that DJI might consider those factors mentioned above may have contributed to the loss of the Mavic.
But if you want to have a chat to them about it, go to this page: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
Down at the bottom, click on Online Support and have a chat with one of their people to get things started.
It was not 22 percent when drifting away. That's when it disconnected from the co trolled altogether it was flying around it self

At least part of the GPS module was working since the xSpeed, ySpeed and zSpeed values continued to be updated. These actually come from the GPS receiver itself as my colleague @sar104 explained to me. There is a good chance that the GPS module continued to receive valid lat/long values even though the FC stopped computing lat/long values. @Simone / kk if you could retrieve the .DAT from the tablet it will have the GPS info - possibly including the lat/long data. Look here to see how to do that. The .DAT will have a name ending with "FLY189.DAT"

At least part of the GPS module was working since the xSpeed, ySpeed and zSpeed values continued to be updated. These actually come from the GPS receiver itself as my colleague @sar104 explained to me. There is a good chance that the GPS module continued to receive valid lat/long values even though the FC stopped computing lat/long values. @Simone / kk if you could retrieve the .DAT from the tablet it will have the GPS info - possibly including the lat/long data. Look here to see how to do that. The .DAT will have a name ending with "FLY189.DAT"

I was probably mistaken if I said that. I'm pretty sure that the OSD.xSpeed, OSD.ySpeed and OSD.zSpeed data are the sensor fusion velocities, which should be the same as the GPS velocities but are not the actual recorded GPS velocities. If you look at a DAT file then the former are the IMU_ATTI(0):velN, IMU_ATTI(0):velE, IMU_ATTI(0):velD values while the latter are the GPS(0):velN, GPS(0):velE, GPS(0):velD values. On a normal flight those are very similar, but not identical.

The DAT file will confirm one way or the other.

Um thanks for your( Mod Removed ). The wind took it . It was night and wasn't responding against the currents . Thanks for your words . AGAIN THERE IS NO EXPLANATION FROM ANY of u so called experts as to why gps failed for no reason. Gps should not of failed ! Simple !

Knowing you had no GPS, why did you continue climbing? If you wouldn't have continued to climb maybe you could have seen it to guide it home, and the wind definitely wouldn't have been as much of a factor.

Is it possible for the flight data to be incorrect ? This flyer does seem pretty adamant it was not their fault ?

Is it possible for the flight data to be incorrect ? This flyer does seem pretty adamant it was not their fault ?

My initial thought is no, it's a computer with gauges and they just measure what they see. That being said, lets say it WERE possible for it to be incorrect. These logs are what DJI goes on when looking at cases for Warranty or Refresh, so how would you actually prove they are wrong anyway?

Reactions: Goldenmember1000

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78