DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost signal and lost M2P

Thanks again! From what do you deduce that it was a loss of power and not a simple loss of signal? I went to the top when I saw the video stop, maybe a few moments passed before I lost the link!

Thanks again! From what do you deduce that it was a loss of power and not a simple loss of signal? I went to the top when I saw the video stop, maybe a few moments passed before I lost the link!

Loss of connection can take a couple of forms:
  1. The RC loses radio contact with the aircraft due to range/signal barriers/interference, in which case both the mobile device and the RC will report connection lost and the aircraft will switch to the failsafe protocol;
  2. The RC loses contact with the aircraft because the aircraft shuts down due to power failure or FC failure, in which case the mobile device and the RC will report connection lost and the aircraft will plummet to the ground;
  3. The mobile app loses connection with the RC, either due to the app crashing or the USB connection failing, but the aircraft is still connected to the RC, will respond to RC commands, and will keep flying.
(1) is almost always preceded by signal issues and telemetry data loss, none of which occurred in this case.

(3) didn't happen because you stated that the RC reported that the connection was lost, not just the app.

That leaves (2) as the most likely explanation - sudden and unexpected loss of radio contact with the aircraft due to power failure or shutdown.

Did you check around the location I indicated in post #18?

hello you were very clear and very kind. tomorrow morning if the weather permits I go to look for it at the point you have indicated to me and I will let you know immediately! Thanks again

I went today all day to look for the point indicated in post 18. I did not find anything, unfortunately the vegetation is too thick I am attaching some photos! I don't know where to look anymore! I was thinking, can it be useful to download the logs from the RC instead of from dji go? thanks again to everyone

Attachments

• 76EFFC41-F131-4BE2-BE93-126088181759.jpeg
    76EFFC41-F131-4BE2-BE93-126088181759.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 137
  • 2E5B8AA3-E42F-42EB-8DFC-49B14300A8B2.jpeg
    2E5B8AA3-E42F-42EB-8DFC-49B14300A8B2.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 131
  • A8E8F636-14FD-4149-A389-C536FA2AE2C6.jpeg
    A8E8F636-14FD-4149-A389-C536FA2AE2C6.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 120
  • FE21D318-4751-4E3F-87B5-A32962F6F1E6.jpeg
    FE21D318-4751-4E3F-87B5-A32962F6F1E6.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 117
Very tough position to search !
Those blackberry thorns look nasty.

It is probably a lost cause now, especially after storm / rainy weather (unless you have DJI Care Refresh).
If it is lost, then perhaps you can ask DJI for a reasoning for loss, they might offer a small discount on a new aircraft, so you only need to replace that and a battery to be back to flying status.

The logs you have are the only ones you have, I think.

If continuing to search, maybe buy a good long machette type bush knife, wear some heavy cotton trousers and shirt (or overalls etc), then start a radius outwards from to point SAR104 gave you.

Good luck either searching, or with DJI offering a bit of discount on a new M2P body.

I connected the RC to the PC and found a DAT file. I believe they are flight logs but I can't read them. I downloaded them in the hope that there is some more information than the txt file. I can't open them with airdata they won't be supported could someone help me? I attach the file here and thanks again

Attachments

• EXPORT_FILE_2019-12-27_10-50-02.DAT
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
I connected the RC to the PC and found a DAT file. I believe they are flight logs but I can't read them. I downloaded them in the hope that there is some more information than the txt file. I can't open them with airdata they won't be supported could someone help me? I attach the file here and thanks again

That's not going to provide any additional data, even if it were readable, after the aircraft disconnected from the RC.

Did you have an ID no. / Telephone number / Address written on the drone? In a situation like this it could prove fruitful later if someone finds it whilst out walking!

p.s. sar104 - another impeccable crash report as ever!

Very sorry to hear about your loss and all the effort you put into trying to locate it.
A couple of items that may have helped in your search:

Bright skins ($49)
20190826_174430.jpg

Marco Polo Drone Location and Recovery System ($219)
81kDjueD4SL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I highly recommend the Marco Polo as it does not need the internet or cellular service. I have successfully used it to recover one of my drones years ago! I won't fly a drone without it!!!
I have one too... just remember it is LOS drone can hide in a depression until you reach a high point providing same.

Thanks again. so the RC .dat files cannot be read? I just wanted to try if there was something more than dji go! I don't know where to look for hope anymore. anyway thanks to everyone for the advice my next drone will have reflective stickers and a gps tracker. but unfortunately for this time I think there is no more hope, there was no label above with name or phone number. that you know the mavic 2 suffer from power failure problems? as far as I understand they are not the first. How can I make DJI understand the reality of the facts and that I have no fault for having him replaced under warranty?

Only DJI can read the DAT files from the RC or Aircraft as they are encrypted. Only the DAT files from the mobile device can be read by us.

I believe that the drone autolanded on loss of signal as was suggested. I am confused that at about 1 mile you would lose signal as there does not appear to be any obstacles. Range should be better than that.
It is a sickening feeling when you do lose contact with your drone and I am sure most of us have experienced this. We wonder what will happen next. We feel sorry for your loss and we all want to know what happened so we can avoid losing our drones.

Thanks again. so the RC .dat files cannot be read? I just wanted to try if there was something more than dji go!
After signal is lost, the controller won't have any more location data than we have already seen from the app.
I believe that the drone autolanded on loss of signal as was suggested. I am confused that at about 1 mile you would lose signal as there does not appear to be any obstacles. Range should be better than that.
See post #11 and post #20

I am confused that at about 1 mile you would lose signal as there does not appear to be any obstacles. Range should be better than that.
Personally, I won’t put buildings between myself and my drone. Most houses these days have WiFi at home, and since the OP flew his drone around the town, I think he put a lot of interference between his RC and drone. In the suburbs, I already get signal interference warnings flying less than 1 mile away, especially close to buildings. But I’ve also flown 8.6km away in open space for from buildings and still had strong signals.

Thanks again. so the RC .dat files cannot be read? I just wanted to try if there was something more than dji go! I don't know where to look for hope anymore. anyway thanks to everyone for the advice my next drone will have reflective stickers and a gps tracker. but unfortunately for this time I think there is no more hope, there was no label above with name or phone number. that you know the mavic 2 suffer from power failure problems? as far as I understand they are not the first. How can I make DJI understand the reality of the facts and that I have no fault for having him replaced under warranty?
I don’t think DJI would replace it. Not sure what the regulations are in Italy, but you were flying higher than 400ft and over built up area. You had no visual of your drone. I don’t think you can claim you did nothing wrong. For all we know it could’ve been taken down by a low sight-seeing plane. Probably not, otherwise it’d be in the local news.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky