DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost signal; drone went 120 metres high

milonga

Reactions
Hi all. I had the following problem:

I was using my drone and I ran out of signal. I don't know why that happened, because the drone was just 50 metres distant and there was nothing between the drone and myself that could interfere with the signal.

Anyway, I could not control the drone and suddenly it started going up by itself until it reached 120 meters. I was scared as ****, because I was afraid that it could run out of battery and fall on somebody's head.

Fortunately nothing happened and I could recover the control over it and make it land, but now I am scared that this could happen again.
  • The RTH was set in 30 metres
  • The altitude limit was set in 120 metres
  • I was using my Moto Z play with the remote.
  • I have the lastest GO app version and firmware,
  • I didn't make any modification or anything. The only thing is that happened to me once is that I crashed the unit but nothing severe happened, just some damage to the propellers.
I would appreciate if anyone knows anything about this problem and what would you recommend me.
Regards

Last edited:
Reactions: Irish-apple
Hi all. I had the following problem:

I was using my drone and I ran out of signal. I don't know why that happened, because the drone was just 50 metres distant and there was nothing between the drone and myself that could interfere with the signal.

Anyway, I could not control the drone and suddenly it started going up by itself until it reached 120 meters. I was scared as ****, because I was afraid that it could run out of battery and fall on somebody's head.

Fortunately nothing happened and I could recover the control over it and make it land, but now I am scared that this could happen again.
  • The RTH was set in 30 metres
  • The altitude limit was set in 120 metres
  • I was using my Moto Z play with the remote.
  • I have the lastest GO app version and firmware,
  • I didn't make any modification or anything. The only thing is that happened to me once is that I crashed the unit but nothing severe happened, just some damage to the propellers.
I would appreciate if anyone knows anything about this problem and what would you recommend me.
Regards

I crashed the unit but nothing severe happened, just some damage to the propellers.

YOU mean nothing severe as in the things that keep the bird flying ?

did you change them / did you recalibrate the drone / imu test // calibrate compass etc at the start of the flight ?

Any crash should be taken seriously.
Maybe the flight logs give a clue to what happened.

Scary experience I can imagine. Losing all control is the one thing that scares me. Only happened to me once with a Phantom1 5 years ago. Turned out that it restarted the IMU initialisation mid flight because of a battery connector that lost contact a fraction of a second every few minutes.

Reactions: Irish-apple
I crashed the unit but nothing severe happened, just some damage to the propellers.

YOU mean nothing severe as in the things that keep the bird flying ?

did you change them / did you recalibrate the drone / imu test // calibrate compass etc at the start of the flight ?

Thanks for replying.

I didn't change the propellers and didn't re-calibrate or re-tested anything, but the drone still flies ok. In fact, I had been flying 4 or 5 times after the crash and everything was ok. But I'm gonna take your advice though. However, I don't understand what is the relation between this you are mentioning and the problem I had.

seriously you crashed and damaged the propellers and didnt change them or recalibrate the drone or check the compass etc ???

I will just leave this here I think you should be careful pal as drones are dangerous in the wrong hands

Well, coming here and asking advice is a great start to become right from wrong.
Load up those flight logs and surely an explanation will surface. Search the forum for how to download them and upload them for our expert heros to examine. Lots of threads about how to.

Reactions: jimmyboards

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom