DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost signal, lost drone

Anyone use straps for every flight?

I am worried, too, and secure the batterie with a cheap 3D printed part. See pics in post 11:

The more I read these stories the more I want to use the velcro straps I bought when I first read about these things happening.

Anyone use straps for every flight?

Anyone get saved by them?

I’m kinda worried about blocking sensors, added weight, drag coefficient increasing(lol yeah I know).
Some gaffers tape securing the battery in place on top, over the seams, is another possible solution. Just make sure to secure the tape edges underneath the aircraft to prevent loose gaffers tape from getting in the props, if it comes loose in the heat!

Reactions: Paul2660
Also, this is either; 1) pilot error not getting battery connected properly, 2) physical problem with battery, or 3) ???

This is not a DJI Care Refresh problem?

I did not find the drone.

Did you search for it? The crash location is pretty clear.
SAR104, what is the DAT file event stream?

It's a set of timestamped data in the DAT file.
Also, this is either; 1) pilot error not getting battery connected properly, 2) physical problem with battery, or 3) ???

This is not a DJI Care Refresh problem?

It could be (1) or (2), but most likely (1).

Refresh only applies if you return the aircraft to DJI - that's why it's important to recover it if possible.

Reactions: Shon and ff22
My wife and I looked for it, but very near the last known location were many tall trees.

The "weak signal" message is a euphemism for "no signal at all" and is just the app telling you that the RC lost the downlink. The loss of downlink was due to sudden power loss when the battery dislodged.

Sar, can you elaborate on this? I will see the "weak signal" message at times during flight, M2 Pro SC. However the signal strength bars never drop from 5. The message goes away usually in a few seconds. I worry when I see this, and of course check the actual SC display for signal strength. Worst I have seen is 5 drop to 4 bars and that only lasts again for a few seconds. When this message occurs, I never have any video downlink issues, like jumping screen, or B&W view, and control of drone seems normal, no lags. I have not considered it a total signal disconnection.

I also will see this at times with the drone directly overhead, usually with 2.4Ghz, and manually switching to custom and 5.8 tends to make that message stop showing up.

The message is printed in yellow text with a black box back ground. When I have seen the actual disconnection occur, that shows in red as I recall in the upper area of the screen where you current flight status is shown. The signal strength warning box also has a x to allow you to close it, I never do, but do wait or move my position to see if it will go away.

Thanks
Paul C

Weak signal is just that, weak signal. Not a problem in your cases.

But the point is that if you have a total signal loss like in the case of OP it will also start by saying "weak signal" for a while even if there is none at all in hope for a quick recovery before switching to saying "disconnected".

Last edited:
Reactions: sar104
The last recorded point was directly over a road, but given its velocity and the wind field (~ 3 m/s out of the north) it should have come down in front of the house shown below:

View attachment 78261

View attachment 78262
sar104, I was just working in my yard and thought about what you just said: last known connection, elevation, speed, etc. Thanks for your help. I actually went looking for the drone on the street where the neighborhood swimming pool is located. On my flight map and your suggested landing/crash site is maybe 200 feet away. My thought is to take my new drone and fly above the trees and look down on/into the top of the trees. Just one minor obstacle, the location is in Gatlinburg TN, 3 hours away. I guess my wife and I will make a weekend of it.

Any other suggestions?

sar104, I was just working in my yard and thought about what you just said: last known connection, elevation, speed, etc. Thanks for your help. I actually went looking for the drone on the street where the neighborhood swimming pool is located. On my flight map and your suggested landing/crash site is maybe 200 feet away. My thought is to take my new drone and fly above the trees and look down on/into the top of the trees. Just one minor obstacle, the location is in Gatlinburg TN, 3 hours away. I guess my wife and I will make a weekend of it.

Any other suggestions?

I'd talk to the owners of that house - it probably crashed in their front yard.

Sar, can you elaborate on this? I will see the "weak signal" message at times during flight, M2 Pro SC. However the signal strength bars never drop from 5. The message goes away usually in a few seconds. I worry when I see this, and of course check the actual SC display for signal strength. Worst I have seen is 5 drop to 4 bars and that only lasts again for a few seconds. When this message occurs, I never have any video downlink issues, like jumping screen, or B&W view, and control of drone seems normal, no lags. I have not considered it a total signal disconnection.

I also will see this at times with the drone directly overhead, usually with 2.4Ghz, and manually switching to custom and 5.8 tends to make that message stop showing up.

The message is printed in yellow text with a black box back ground. When I have seen the actual disconnection occur, that shows in red as I recall in the upper area of the screen where you current flight status is shown. The signal strength warning box also has a x to allow you to close it, I never do, but do wait or move my position to see if it will go away.

Thanks
Paul C

As @Kilrah says - it can indicate a signal issue, but it is also the message that pops up when the signal just disappears.

I have a new Mavic Pro 2 with fly more kit and noticed the batteries dont seem as snug when locked into place as the first gen Mavic batteries did. Wonder if battery disconnect errors are an issue with only the Pro 2? Could be the reason you lost your drone.

I have a new Mavic Pro 2 with fly more kit and noticed the batteries dont seem as snug when locked into place as the first gen Mavic batteries did. Wonder if battery disconnect errors are an issue with only the Pro 2? Could be the reason you lost your drone.
it was discussed in several threads so far. take a practice to strap batteries in.

Reactions: Paul2660
Did you sign up online for this?
Having had to use DJI Refresh, and going through their lousy support, I think I'd like to insure back up options.

sar104, my flight app shows the last know position on the street by the swimming pool. Your flight projection shows it north of the pool: What am I missing on this? I am currently in Gatlinburg looking for the drone in your described location. Getting ready to send up. Phantom clone (UpAir One) to look down on the trees.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev