DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Signal-RTH-Close Call

What a great example of both not what to do when flying but just how well the forward obstacle detection worked to save your Mavic.
Everyone should watch this as a training lesson

Reactions: dvarapala
Wonderful to see the Mavic RTH due to lost signal and the obstacle avoidance working as they're supposed to. Usually we only hear when they fail, generally due to something the pilot did or didn't do. But I'm sure you remained cool and calm through the whole experience. ;)
The end of your flight certainly turned out much more satisfactorily than having to climb that imposing mountain to retrieve your Mavic!!
Congratulations to you and the Mavic.

Wow ! Now that is what i call a lucky son of a b.... Sensors saved your *** big time.

Reactions: VegasDisplays
Yes, this was my first time RTH was initiated and first time my obstacle avoidance was used. What I did wrong was I was flying too low around a mountain and lost signal without even a warning. My screen went black and my controller went quiet. I just ran to an open area and kept trying to go up. Finally my screen and signal came back once it got around the mountain all on its own. Thanks Mavic for taking the controls on this one! Lesson learned.

Reactions: bonaerial
Wonderful to see the Mavic RTH due to lost signal and the obstacle avoidance working as they're supposed to. Usually we only hear when they fail, generally due to something the pilot did or didn't do. But I'm sure you remained cool and calm through the whole experience. ;)
The end of your flight certainly turned out much more satisfactorily than having to climb that imposing mountain to retrieve your Mavic!!
Congratulations to you and the Mavic.
Sure if you considered running with my controller over my head yelling oh crap, oh crap, cool and calm. [emoji1]

Yes, this was my first time RTH was initiated and first time my obstacle avoidance was used. What I did wrong was I was flying too low around a mountain and lost signal without even a warning. My screen went black and my controller went quiet. I just ran to an open area and kept trying to go up. Finally my screen and signal came back once it got around the mountain all on its own. Thanks Mavic for taking the controls on this one! Lesson learned.

And what was the lesson ? :) Believe me you are not going to fly closer to yourself trust me on that one.

More or less the same thing happened to me last week flying my favorite volcano. I wanted to fly up the northeast ridge but in the process, dropped it behind the ridge extension - lost signal. As advertised, it went into auto RTH, flew over the ridge and came back. Cool.

Reactions: VegasDisplays
Great video. I'm surprised it cut it so close to the mountain but I suppose it could be the uphill part that we are all looking at might be out of the sensors FOV.

And what was the lesson ? :) Believe me you are not going to fly closer to yourself trust me on that one.
I guess my lesson was to not fly low around large objects or structures. You're right, I'll always be pushing the limits on distance. Too much fun.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya