DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Zoom. Need advice.

ajbeebster

Reactions
I lost my Mavic 2 Zoom about a month after purchase. I flew along the shore in Florida but about 100 yds out over the water, parallel to the shore, roughly. I had the drone in sight, but lost all contact instantly. The controller immediately began searching to reconnect. The aircraft also failed to RTH as it was set to do and had done in the past. I could see the aircraft over the water hovering with 28 minutes of battery remaining. All attempts to reconnect failed. I couldn't stand there and watch my drone go in the drink, so I left.

I filed a claim with DJI and after uploading my flight data and explaining what happened, they've offered me a 30% discount on a new aircraft (only). I realize that without the old lost aircraft, they are in a tough spot. I suppose I could have dropped the drone into a waiting boat and then falsely claim I lost it. Anyway....

I responded and asked for a discount on a new controller as well, being that I can no longer trust the controller to not have been the problem that caused my original loss. They replied that I am free to send the controller in for warranty repair, but no discount on a new one. What happens if they find a faulty controller?

Not looking for something for nothing, but at these price points, I would hope DJI would work to keep the customers they have than to overly protect themselves from fraud. I lost a $1300 drone by obvious failure of the product. Should I pursue a controller repair or call it and buy a new drone with controller?

drone should have come home without rc,don't think that was the problem

I lost my Mavic 2 Zoom about a month after purchase. I flew along the shore in Florida but about 100 yds out over the water, parallel to the shore, roughly. I had the drone in sight, but lost all contact instantly. The controller immediately began searching to reconnect. The aircraft also failed to RTH as it was set to do and had done in the past. I could see the aircraft over the water hovering with 28 minutes of battery remaining. All attempts to reconnect failed. I couldn't stand there and watch my drone go in the drink, so I left.

I filed a claim with DJI and after uploading my flight data and explaining what happened, they've offered me a 30% discount on a new aircraft (only). I realize that without the old lost aircraft, they are in a tough spot. I suppose I could have dropped the drone into a waiting boat and then falsely claim I lost it. Anyway....

I responded and asked for a discount on a new controller as well, being that I can no longer trust the controller to not have been the problem that caused my original loss. They replied that I am free to send the controller in for warranty repair, but no discount on a new one. What happens if they find a faulty controller?

Not looking for something for nothing, but at these price points, I would hope DJI would work to keep the customers they have than to overly protect themselves from fraud. I lost a $1300 drone by obvious failure of the product. Should I pursue a controller repair or call it and buy a new drone with controller?

I suggest that you post the txt and DAT logs from your mobile device, so we can take a look to see if there is any good evidence of equipment failure that you can take back to DJI.

TXT log: DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help

Mobile device DAT file: How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

Or winds.
To little to late, but when I run into the sun "spotting" issue, I just rotate the drone maybe 15/30 degrees and carry on/home.
But yes, I am curious to see the data....

Reactions: charliesRig
Sounds like a classic case of the collision sensors detecting the sun and refusing to move.
Thanks. This is the kind of feedback I'm hoping for vs the "your a disrace to drone pilots and why we're never going to get to fly again."

I cant speak for everyone, but it was hovering with 28minutes of power above water I'd have been going for a swim
You are not lying... I'd be sitting there waiting for it to auto-land.

I suggest that you post the txt and DAT logs from your mobile device, so we can take a look to see if there is any good evidence of equipment failure that you can take back to DJI.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-07-11_[19-33-06].txt
    880.8 KB · Views: 32
I think that may be the wrong one, seems to show Malta as the location. Unless I picked the wrong one in my downloads.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM