DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Love the Mavic Pro 2!

Sorry if you internally disappointed with the soft line-skipped pixel binned non 1” video sensor. Video is about on par with the Mavic Air.

Sorry but that is not true at all...there is a huge difference between them...

Sorry but that is not true at all...there is a huge difference between them...
Nope. Also the M2Zoom daytime footage is better than the MP2 daytime footage. DJI went with some crap SOC made by “Allwinner” instead of Ambarella. It can’t handle using the full sensor or barrel distortion correction in DLOG. No firmware can solve this. It’s a processor limitation.

Nope. Also the M2Zoom daytime footage is better than the MP2 daytime footage. DJI went with some crap SOC made by “Allwinner” instead of Ambarella. It can’t handle using the full sensor or barrel distortion correction in DLOG. No firmware can solve this. It’s a processor limitation.

I had both so i know what im talking about....please stop with that nonsense....

Reactions: jodi2
Back on topic I bloody love my MP2 also.

Have only had one test flight on it so far so decided that I’d have to get some night flights in (I’m in the UK so entirely legal).

Took her up for two batteries tonight and it’s just a joy to fly - totally predictable, rock steady and so easy use.

I don’t give a toss about paper specs etc - it’s how you use what you’ve got and I can see me putting many hours on this bird. Merged AEB sequence from tonight.

Attachments

• B5FB6A61-6E84-42DF-954E-8107FBC515C4.jpeg
    B5FB6A61-6E84-42DF-954E-8107FBC515C4.jpeg
    704.9 KB · Views: 43
OP - back on point. I’d like to know what challenges you have flying from a ship?

Back on topic I bloody love my MP2 also.

Have only had one test flight on it so far so decided that I’d have to get some night flights in (I’m in the UK so entirely legal).

Took her up for two batteries tonight and it’s just a joy to fly - totally predictable, rock steady and so easy use.

I don’t give a toss about paper specs etc - it’s how you use what you’ve got and I can see me putting many hours on this bird. Merged AEB sequence from tonight.
Again- photos it uses the whole sensor. Videos- it does not. That’s why videos are so soft.

Good morning, I'm happy for you but personally I think the video quality of the M2P is poor at least for the sensor supplied and compared to the PH4PRO. Not to mention the obvious moiré effect present in 4K HQ DLOG M which makes the images unusable.
And still the quality in 4KFOV identical to 2.7, in short, at the moment I'm not satisfied.
I hope for an update by DJi that solves the problem

Sell me some of what you are smoking!

Reactions: kilomikebravo
It's always nice to hear positive remarks from people who use these drones for more 'demanding' work than most hobbyists - gives some extra comfort surrounding the capabilities.

Sell me some of what you are smoking!
No - he's correct. Start at 11:20 here -
Obviously with the weaker SOC and pixel binning / line skipping / subsampling - the video will be worse than the P4Pro. Indisputable. DJI even made a public statement on the "subsampling" because so many people complained that the P4Pro was so much better in video. This is why the M2P is primarily marketed as a photography drone, not for video.

OP - back on point. I’d like to know what challenges you have flying from a ship?

Most common is compass error because of all the metals around. With the MP2 I'd just ignore it and hand launch. Once the drone was away from the ship the error went away. Another issue is not having ATTI mode. Launching and landing from a moving ship is much easier in ATTI mode since the drone isn't trying to hold position like in GPS mode, so you can just 'glide' it to or from your hand. With no ATTI mode I'd launch from the stern of the ship and give it full forward the direction the ship came from and likewise for landing I'd just come in and match the speed of the ship. Sea state was another issue. The ship is an ex coast guard cutter and it bobs like a cork, so any wind and the deck is pitching and rolling. I'd often have to brace myself with a wide stance, back against the superstructure. These conditions also warranted hand launch and catch by a helper. While the Phantom series is easier to handle because of the legs, the new MP2 has a pretty robust body and other crew learned to catch and launch so I could focus on control. Other issues included curious seabirds that would chase the drone and there were too many close calls. Also, a captain that decides to change speed or direction of the ship when I was launching or landing without telling me. Good times. There were also many easy flights when the ship was drifting or at anchor.

Despite the comparison to the P4P on this thread, I'll still choose the MP2 first. Everything is a trade off and 95% of the viewing audience won't see a difference. Happy flying!

No - he's correct. Start at 11:20 here -
Obviously with the weaker SOC and pixel binning / line skipping / subsampling - the video will be worse than the P4Pro. Indisputable. DJI even made a public statement on the "subsampling" because so many people complained that the P4Pro was so much better in video. This is why the M2P is primarily marketed as a photography drone, not for video.

Trouble is Tom’s test is not like for like. By his own admission the P4P does some in-drone processing regardless of settings whereas the MP2 does not.

He does no post on either when he should have at least carried out some on the MP2 footage to make it comparable.

Anyway - regardless the MP2 is a brilliant drone and has certain indisputable advantages of the P4x and is still capable, in the right hands, of delivering images and footage that 99% of people on here would struggle to make.

A drone is a tool and it’s up to the craftsman to get the best out of it. Hell I’ve seen images from the MA that blow my socks off and do a quick search for the pro photographer who did a fashion shoot on an iPhone!

Reactions: fozzzy and jodi2
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito