DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Love your drone? Get a tracking device!

Former Member

Reactions
If you love your drone, the agony and trauma of never seeing it again could be devastating. These are not toys, they are a big investment, and if you go down somewhere, a tracking device is a small price to pay to be able to find your baby again.

I like Trackimos because everywhere I fly, there is cell phone coverage. Marco Polo also makes a nice package. There are pros and cons for each camp, but you cant go wrong with either one. They are both time tested and they work. Plus they are fun to see where youve flown over time. The Trackimo that I have updates its location every minute. If I crash, and the Trackimo stayed with the drone, I will be able to find it. Most of the time, tracking devices stay where you mount them even after a crash, or within 5-10 feet of the drone. Batteries last for days, but it's still better to try and find it the same day.

Short version, get a tracking device, make it an integral part of your preflight checklist, and dont take off without it.

I initially went with a TRACKIMO to use with my MP -fortunately never had occasion to utilize it for its intended purpose. However, most of the places that I fly I found the signal coverage to be totally inadequate for locating the MP. I suppose this is primarily a function of the cell signal provider the TRACKIMO SIM card was shipped with which I believe was T-mobile; I had considered getting a Verizon network SIM card but where I tend to fly even Verizon coverage is spotty. On one occasion, I was relatively near my home and set the TRACKIMO to report its location -it apparently had intermittent cell reception and indicated it had to use cell tower triangulation to give an estimated position - good thing I didn’t need to actually find my MP - TRACKIMO reported its location as more than a mile from where the MP was being flown! I therefore recently purchased a Marco Polo to use instead of the TRACKIMO...and bought a water proof tracking tag for my wandering dog - which I have already had to put to use - Still no need for locating my M2Z - thankfully!

I initially went with a TRACKIMO to use with my MP -fortunately never had occasion to utilize it for its intended purpose. However, most of the places that I fly I found the signal coverage to be totally inadequate for locating the MP. I suppose this is primarily a function of the cell signal provider the TRACKIMO SIM card was shipped with which I believe was T-mobile; I had considered getting a Verizon network SIM card but where I tend to fly even Verizon coverage is spotty. On one occasion, I was relatively near my home and set the TRACKIMO to report its location -it apparently had intermittent cell reception and indicated it had to use cell tower triangulation to give an estimated position - good thing I didn’t need to actually find my MP - TRACKIMO reported its location as more than a mile from where the MP was being flown! I therefore recently purchased a Marco Polo to use instead of the TRACKIMO...and bought a water proof tracking tag for my wandering dog - which I have already had to put to use - Still no need for locating my M2Z - thankfully!

Yes, if an owner has good cell reception, the Trackimo is very accurate. What might have happened to you is that you were flying, and cell phone signal dropped. The Trackimo reported its last known location to you. Where the drone landed was the difference in time between where Trackimo knew it was, and where it actually was. In sport mode this is even worse. The drone could be a mile away in any direction if signal is lost.

In places with spotty cell phone networks, Marco Polo might also be a good choice. It doesnt need cell service, but its range is limited compared to the Trackimo.

Reactions: Buddhasdrone
From paying attention to people way more informed than me I decided that if my bird goes down . I will use the find my drone feature to get a ball park where the drone is and Marco Polo takes over . As long as your within a mile the Marco should get a signal . The factory system should get me close enough to go to step two .

Good idea.
I don't have a GPS tracker, but use the Drone Keeper Mini buzzer.
It is (somewhat) of a double edged sword, as it will attract peoples attention, and that is not always a good thing. However, most people seem to be honest.
I have spent hours upon hours looking for various drones, including the MP, in bushes, tall grass, etc, where a sound signal would make you find it in a lickety split, while the general location provided by GPS could still mean a long and not always fruitful search.
Ultimate combo is GPS + audible (ideally in a world w/o crooks).
Fun fact: I have ordered hundreds of packages from AliExpress, but pretty much the only two that have gotten lost were GPS trackers (that I planned to use on the MP) :)

After looking at all the options and some of the places that I fly that have limited coverage I purchased a Marco Polo. I was still a little reluctant that it would work so I would have someone fly my drone out and set it down in a place that he knew where it was and then would go find it. I was impressed and after a couple tries I think if you know the general direction it was flying when it went down you will find it.

Yes, if an owner has good cell reception, the Trackimo is very accurate. What might have happened to you is that you were flying, and cell phone signal dropped. The Trackimo reported its last known location to you. Where the drone landed was the difference in time between where Trackimo knew it was, and where it actually was. In sport mode this is even worse. The drone could be a mile away in any direction if signal is lost.

In places with spotty cell phone networks, Marco Polo might also be a good choice. It doesnt need cell service, but its range is limited compared to the Trackimo.
I have used my MARCO POLO from two miles away in rolling countryside. How far away does the Trackimo work?

I have used my MARCO POLO from two miles away in rolling countryside. How far away does the Trackimo work?

The Trackimo doesnt use the same location principals as the Marco Polo.

"Marco Polo is a self-contained 2-way radio system, like a walkie-talkie. When in Track mode, the handheld Marco Polo locator sends a signal to the “tag” you place on the item to be tracked, once every 5 seconds. "

Trackimo uses cell towers and GPS to triangulate the drones location. Marco Polo is instantaneous, but has a smaller range. Trackimo has a greater range, but might not be as exact as the Marco Polo. I have had fantastic success with the Trackimo.

What happens if im in a area where no Cellphone reception??
If you know you'll be flying in locations like that, you should use a tracker that does not rely on cellular service (like the Marco Polo).

I want a Marco Polo, but after spending $3k on an M2ED the wife will not be happy on me spending another couple of hundred. Drones are a financial Black Hole. ;) Marco is gonna have to wait ...

RCdancer - I'm right there with you... trying to figure out when I can slip it in unnoticed ;)

I think I've also decided to go the Marco Polo route due to concerns of cell coverage in some places.... and then add to it a DroneKeeper audible beeper that goes off after a certain amount of time of no movement). I'd rather not rely on cell coverage and additional monthly cost - and I'd hope that the "Find My Drone" feature would get me a close enough starting point to begin tracking it with the Marco Polo.

One thing I have wondered - has any one encountered a fly-away or other where you had to use a tracking device, and found that the drone was somewhere on private property? Any issues in gaining access to said property to try and recover it?

Are you sure you dont have something to sell so you can buy a tracking device??? lol

:) I've found that having a little side gig that gets paid into PayPal works well for funding the toys..... as long as you can pay for the purchases via PayPal as well...... :D

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent