DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low voltage warning... Twice with separate batteries..??

GoggleBot2008

Reactions
Fairly new MP owner. Purchased just over a month ago

First few missions went smoothly. No issues. I bought a second battery independently to extend overall mission time.

Last couple I've been experiencing low voltage issues (I can't remember if the word "critical" was used, but it was a red warning) and I immediately RTH

It happened the first time on one battery (the one that came with the MP). I returned home and later that day when I went to recharge, I got LED #4 flashing three times a second ("too hot to charge" I think that is?). Essentially refusing to charge.

Contacted DJI and obviously suspecting it may be a bad battery.

After a few days, it eventually decides to start charging again. Fine.

After a couple weeks of no flying, I decide to take it out. I get the low voltage issue with the same battery. Well, I kind of expected that.

However, I get more or less EXACTLY the same issues now with the second battery. Again, at pretty much 30% I get a red low voltage warning. Immediate RTH and glad I could make it home.

What's even stranger is that when I get home not only do I feel like I'm missing an entire video of my first mission (there's a chance I didn't pretty the record button properly .. I use the DJI Goggles and it's a bit faffy), there's only one flight log. Where did the second one go? Anyway, I checked the log using online analysis and there's no record there of the low voltage warning (although I've yet to check the individual cell variance)

Now both batteries are flashing LED #4 three times a second and I'm grounded.

The weather here in the UK is pretty warm. Sensor reading states 72 Fahrenheit. So it's not super sweltering. Are the batteries just cooking? Or should I expect them to tolerate higher temps than this? Am I simply flying too hard in the 30-40% bracket?

Curious thing is.. How the eff does this happen to TWO batteries? Two batteries with identical issues? Chances of that must be pretty unlikely?

My battery regime so far has always been fully charge battery, fly to about 30-20% then fully charge, rinse repeat. I would generally let the batteries cool before recharging. From what I've read it kinda feels like there are probably too many ways you can damage these batteries for comfort, although for just over a month's ownership and not that many missions (maybe around 8 total) it seems the degradation of these batteries is way too quick?

Anyone experienced similar?

Last couple I've been experiencing low voltage issues (I can't remember if the word "critical" was used, but it was a red warning) and I immediately RTH
Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

I would generally let the batteries cool before recharging.
Why don't you let them fully cool down before attempting to charge them? It seems that might be why they are refusing to charge.

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Why don't you let them fully cool down before attempting to charge them? It seems that might be why they are refusing to charge.

Thanks for reply. I had let the first bad battery cool down (and it eventually started to charge again).. And then the issue reappears with both of my batteries

I've recently discovered that one battery is over a year old (I thought the unit I bought from Amazon Warehouse was only a returned damaged box type affair) and the other battery was a refurbished unit.

It would appear both have bad cells. And perhaps the way I fly just exposes them both in a similar way. Its a weird situation. However, Amazon has allowed me to return the whole MP package.

In short, I'm only buying new units from now on.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54