DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LTE dongle for SC

skunky1

Reactions
So DJI state that the SC can use a usb lte dongle for internet connectivity.

I want to avoid using my phone as a hotspot as it keeps disconnecting.

Which dongles are compatible ?

An LTE dongle would still require a cell data subscription. Have you considered a dedicated hot-spot device with subscription?

You don't need internet during flight though. You'd only use it to confirm there's no firmware updates and to update the map shown in the app. The app caches what it already gathered for the map so you don't have to continually have internet.
Even then these are optional.

An LTE dongle would still require a cell data subscription. Have you considered a dedicated hot-spot device with subscription?

You don't need internet during flight though. You'd only use it to confirm there's no firmware updates and to update the map shown in the app. The app caches what it already gathered for the map so you don't have to continually have internet.
Even then these are optional.

I have a pay as you use cell data plan.

Problem with a hotspot device is that it also needs to be charged separately.

The data service is to indeed update maps in new locations not cached before and for local user unlocking no fly zones

You'll need a separate plan for the dongle.

Hot-spot devices will indeed need charging from time to time but probably not as often as charging the SC. The dongle has to get power from somewhere and in this case it would be from the SC.

I guess I am not understanding your need. Any device such as your normal daily device/phone would be good enough for the 2-3 minutes of hotspot to accomplish what you said your use is for, then power down hot spot and no more battery consumption. A use such as that would be a weeks worth of HotSpotting on a battery :p...but perhaps this thread from DJI site can help: Anyone tried plugging a 4G USB A dongle into the smart controller

Why do you want a hotspot when you can download caching your maps prior go to the field?

I guess I am not understanding your need. Any device such as your normal daily device/phone would be good enough for the 2-3 minutes of hotspot to accomplish what you said your use is for, then power down hot spot and no more battery consumption. A use such as that would be a weeks worth of HotSpotting on a battery :p...but perhaps this thread from DJI site can help: Anyone tried plugging a 4G USB A dongle into the smart controller

I don’t take my phone along when I fly to avoid any disturbances.
I like keeping things minimal.
I’ve got ADD. The fewer things to connect and switch on the better for me. Hence I got the SC.

Why do you want a hotspot when you can download caching your maps prior go to the field?

For unplanned locations. I keep my kit in my car all the time and find locations as I drive

Just use the phone hotspot for few second un the car to update the offline map before fly and that’s it to have the map, even with that guy still can fly without it, but I get the benefit for better orientation.

So DJI state that the SC can use a usb lte dongle for internet connectivity.

I want to avoid using my phone as a hotspot as it keeps disconnecting.

Which dongles are compatible ?
It’s been done. But where did DJI state that last I heard they said it is not compatible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun