DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Successful flight test of DJI 4G/LTE module in South Korea

여기도 ^^
Very impressive, but I am curious why you did not pre-load the maps prior to flying, it would seems the sensible thing to do in such an environment and considering the distance you flew and terrain you flew over.

For those of use who do not know about the DJI Mavic 3 4G dongle. It enables users to fly “without boundaries.” When the dongle is active, the remote controller signal becomes less important since the drone interacts with the device through a 4G network, allowing the pilot to fly beyond line of sight (BVLOS) with a range limited only by the battery’s power.

Yeah, what could go wrong here?
I have one it doesn't work in the US

This video and music are hauntingly beautify. I lived in South Korea in 1978-9 and my business required me to travel between Panmunjeom and Busan and many points in between on a monthly basis. It has been many years since I was there, where is this video recorded?

Reactions: Hauptmann
You can already hit the limitations of the battery with FCC mode on the M3 with suboptimal takeoff location, 4G may be useful to perform low altitude flights though, but I see it having more sense on fixed wing / VTOL drones.

I purchased the DJI Cellular Dongle from Alipress. I installed it on my DJI RC PRO using MINT cellular
service and it works fantastic! I dont have to hotspot it to my phone anymore.
There are some vids on YouTube on this subject.
Fly Like You Stole It!
Which dongle did you buy? Alipress has several, ranging in price from 28 to 145 USD. Also, which drone are you using with the dongle? I have a DJI Mavic 2 Pro now, but planning on upgrading to MP3 Pro, Mini3 Pro, or both. My Cell provider is Spectrum. Spending 145 on a dongle is no problem, if it works.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I did some checking. Woodbutcher50 uses Mint Cellular, which operates over the T Mobile network. T Mobile offers an LTE data plan. LTE seems to be the common denominator. Many of the popular cellular providers use the same LTE bands, including AT&T, Mint, Spectrum, T Mobile, Verizon, etc.
Mint/T Mobile use B2 (1900 PCS), B4 (1700/2100, B12 (700 ac), B66 (1700/2100), B71 (600). Does this mean that the Alipress DJI dongle will work thru the above US cellular carriers?

I don't know if the dongle will work with my Mavic 2 Pro, but I'll soon be upgrading.

• Wow
I’ve been using mine for some time :)
This is Singapore. Can I use the USIM for Singtel travel, not the main carrier's genuine USIM? The module is green. The 4G display appears on the controller screen, and the network connection is disconnected. Help me.

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_20230121_145853453.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20230121_145853453.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • KakaoTalk_20230121_150841624.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20230121_150841624.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • Wow
There's the first person in Korea to fly with DJI 4G LTE dongle. (korea)

With the Mavic 3 Classic and RC control, they succeeded in the test flight by installing Korean user's DJI 4G LTE dongle.

It can be supported by Mavic 3, Mavic 3 Classic, and Mini 3 Pro, and the above models can be used regardless of RC-PRO, RC, or RC-N1.

SKT and KT are doing well for Korean telecommunication companies (LG telecommunication companies did not check).

(The Mavic 3 Classic was equipped with a dji 4g lte dongle, and the rc controller was connected to a hotspot and flew using lte communication network.)

Please congratulate me.

I put a YouTube link, so please refer to the video.

That makes since it works in countries like South Korea. You're using the same cellular network frequency's required that are compatible with the LTE dongle that is sold by DJI for the Mavic 3 .

To help those of you out as to why the LTE dongle will not work on your Mavic 3. Per the owner's manual that can be viewed on China's DJI's website. It requires a TDD-LTE Operating Frequency Band that US Cellular networks do not support.

It won't work in the US ever until DJI makes one that works with US cellular networks. The LTE dongle requires certain frequencies to work which US cellular infrastructure does not support. No network in the US supports the required frequencies.

I provided a photo of the manual for your viewing if you don't want to go to the website and check it out yourself. Places like Australia, South Korea, etc will support this frequency bandwidth. US Carriers do not.

Hopefully, this helps clear up any confusion.

Attachments

• TDD LTE Frequency network.png
    TDD LTE Frequency network.png
    3 MB · Views: 7
It appears we have at least two threads on the 4g dongle. Maybe the moderators could merge them.
This one appears to be more up to date and accurate:

I live in the Philippines and received mine about a month ago. I bought the sim cards, and tried it.
This is what happened:

Then I tried it. It does bring up the advanced transmission option. When I press it, It says "unable to establish 4g communication. check network settings."

Other people get this message to. What happened, is DJI allowed it to work in South Korea, Australia and New Zealand for a short time. See the YouTube videos. Then DJI turned if off for all the countries outside of China.
So it won't work in any other countries now.
As far as debating various types of 4g, it might matter later, but currently, it doesn't matter what transmission system you have. It won't work.

• Wow
For those of use who do not know about the DJI Mavic 3 4G dongle. It enables users to fly “without boundaries.” When the dongle is active, the remote controller signal becomes less important since the drone interacts with the device through a 4G network, allowing the pilot to fly beyond line of sight (BVLOS) with a range limited only by the battery’s power.

Yeah, what could go wrong here?
When will people understand the 4g lte is not about range or distance, it's about connectivity while IN VLOS. Urban areas and forested areas create spots of signal loss even though the drone is only a few hundred feet away from you. With 4G you can fly over a tree and even fly behind or even land behind the tree and still have a signal. You could even land your drone on top of a steel high rise building and still be with a signal. Or, when mapping, you drone could fly around a building and perform photogrammetry without ever losing a signal (ie when the drone gets to the opposite side of the building) . WIFI simply can't do it.

• Wow
I’ve been using mine for some time :)
To have the drone and controller connected to one another, I know you have to buy 2 LTE dongles, one for the RC and One for the Drone. I ask this: Does each dongle need a sim card? Are the sim cards assigned different telephone numbers or use the same telephone number assignment? Do you also have to purchase some kind of activation from DJI for this 4g LTE communication between the drone and rc to finally work? Specifics please.

• Wow
To help those of you out as to why the LTE dongle will not work on your Mavic 3. Per the owner's manual that can be viewed on China's DJI's website. It requires a TDD-LTE Operating Frequency Band that US Cellular networks do not support.

It won't work in the US ever until DJI makes one that works with US cellular networks. The LTE dongle requires certain frequencies to work which US cellular infrastructure does not support. No network in the US supports the required frequencies.

I provided a photo of the manual for your viewing if you don't want to go to the website and check it out yourself. Places like Australia, South Korea, etc will support this frequency bandwidth. US Carriers do not.

Hopefully, this helps clear up any confusion.
THE ARE USB C DONGLES AND LTE MODULES THAT ARE SOLD IN THE USA SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO WORK WITH US CELLULAR NETWORKS, IF I BUY THESE DONGLES WITH THE CELLULAR MODULES CAN I THEN LINK THE DRONE TO THE RC?

Here are replacement parts for a sbc adapter and 4g LTE module for american phones or computers. see attached. Ther are cheap too. 18 dollars for a usb c adapter and about 30 dollars for the cellular 4g lte module.USBC Module.jpegs-l500 (2).jpg the short cellular module fits into the usb c adapter. It's the same thing as the DJI kit, but cheap and made for the usa. Cost about 50 dollar for both.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61