DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P batteries

jmark

Reactions
Just curious! I've read the instructions about the intelligent flight batteries so I know what it says there.

Just wondering if I leave my batteries fully charged for a few days if this will lessen their life£ Like if I charge them, but something pops up and I can't fly that day. Would it be okay to leave them until a day or two after at 100%?

This is for the mavic 2. Although I doubt that matters

Reactions: D2010MJ
Just curious! I've read the instructions about the intelligent flight batteries so I know what it says there.

Just wondering if I leave my batteries fully charged for a few days if this will lessen their life£ Like if I charge them, but something pops up and I can't fly that day. Would it be okay to leave them until a day or two after at 100%?

This is for the mavic 2. Although I doubt that matters

You can chose when they start to discharge. I choose 10 days. They will lower themselves. I forget where this setting is but the batteries are "intelligent" to do this. It is fine for the batteries to be at 100%. Just store in a cool area.

Lithium-based batteries can be stored at 100% charge for a short period but you will observe reduced capacity due to the build-up of internal resistance over time. Depending on the environment temperature you might lose as much as 20% capacity per year at 25C.

We can probably reason that storing a battery at 100% charge for a month will cause it to lose ~2%, although I have not seen direct studies of this and the actual figure will unlikely be useful as it depends on various factor (battery technology quality and technology, in particular).

For this reason I set mine to auto-discharge after 2 days of idling. The Mavic battery discharges to 60% so at worst you'll lose 40% of a charge cycle which equates to only a few minutes of flight time.

You can chose when they start to discharge. I choose 10 days. They will lower themselves. I forget where this setting is but the batteries are "intelligent" to do this. It is fine for the batteries to be at 100%. Just store in a cool area.

Thank you. What would be considered cool, just of of interest? 21C? I normally keep them in my bedroom when not in use as I don't really have anywhere else to put them. It's anywhere between 16 - 21C in there. During the winter I will not be able to fly much, as it sometimes get's down to lower that -10 here. So my batteries will be in storage for a while.

For this reason I set mine to auto-discharge after 2 days of idling. The Mavic battery discharges to 60% so at worst you'll lose 40% of a charge cycle which equates to only a few minutes of flight time.

Where is this function in the app? I'm flying the M2P, so maybe it hasn't been implemented yet?

Also, if I always keep my batteries between 40-60% when not in use, will this then keep them at their as new full charge when fully charged? I would just like to get my maximum use out of the batteries seeming as they are quite a fair bit to replace if they pop.

Where is this function in the app? I'm flying the M2P, so maybe it hasn't been implemented yet?

Also, if I always keep by batteries between 40-60% when not in use, will this then keep them at their maximum charge? I would just like to get my maximum use out of the batteries seeming as they are quite a fair bit to replace if they pop.
I don't have the Mavic 2 but it should be found in Settings->Battery section in the DJI Go app. Yes, 40-60% is the ideal charge percentage between a semi-ready to go battery and minimum loss of capacity over time. At 40% you can still do a quick 5 minutes flight for scouting even on the spur of the moment.

Reactions: jmark
I don't have the Mavic 2 but it should be found in Settings->Battery section in the DJI Go app. Yes, 40-60% is the ideal charge percentage between a semi-ready to go battery and minimum loss of capacity over time. At 40% you can still do a quick 5 minutes flight for scouting even on the spur of the moment.
Thank you again!

Just one more question. In the winter months I will most likely be grounded since it is often beloe -10C here. Will I potentially lose a lot of my battery life because of long storage? How temperamental are these batteries?I plan to wake them from hibernation once a month, do a full recharge and discharge to 40-60%. Do you have any experience with this?

Mavic 2 no longer have the option for the discharge setting and, by default, are set to 10 days (that's with current firmware. Some folks wanted this feature back so who knows if they will add it again). If you click on the power button, it will reset the counter (at least it did this in mavic 1) so do not do that and it will start to self discharge in 10 days. Your battery will feel warm when it does this I fly enough within 10 days that I always keep mine charged, if I skip a day or two I am not too worried about it. I think they do not want people do charge it 100% all the time and not fly.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3