DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P Inexplicably Crashed Into The Pacific

I have gracefully landed my mavic 1 in the Indian ocean by pulling the left stick when I meant to pull the right, 300m out, after flying for 18 months with no incidents. Took a couple of seconds to register why the signal dropped. And have made the same mistake with the replacement, although I luckily realized and didn’t get quite as low the second time...
It’s easy to become distracted, easy to become complacent, easy to make a little mistake.
Sorry for your loss.

To be honest, DJI is not obliged to give the OP anything, because the flight logs clearly show complete pilot error. So anything that DJI offers is really a gift and should be looked at that way. What you are suggesting, would be like some old lady who hit the throttle when she meant to hit the brake and smashed her car into a wall, then expected the dealership to give her more than 15% discount on a new car purchase. Of course she would not be offered anything, not even a discount on the repairs, I bet.

This OP seems to have accept responsibility for his mistake, as much as he finds it hard to believe he did that. Often the crashed pilot still does not want to accept responsibility for what he/she did and tries to blame DJI, so hats off to him for stepping up and saying he did it. If it was me I would be more than happy to accept a 15% discount.

You are definitely right. The flight records show what happened, and it was completely my fault. People make mistakes, and I’m not afraid to own up to mine. I appreciate everyone’s help with the flight records, for the life of me i could not figure out what I did wrong. At least I know now what I did and will be sure to never make that same mistake. I panicked over the water and pulled the stick the wrong way. Simple as that.
The way I look at it, it could have been worse. I could have crashed into a person or someones property. All that was lost was the drone, and no one was hurt. I can replace the drone, not the end of the world.
If they offer me any discount at all I will be happy to take it. Unless anyone knows a cheaper source for the drone only, I will likely purchase a replacement from them. I had bought the fly more package already so I still have 2 batteries and the RC etc.

I have gracefully landed my mavic 1 in the Indian ocean by pulling the left stick when I meant to pull the right, 300m out, after flying for 18 months with no incidents. Took a couple of seconds to register why the signal dropped. And have made the same mistake with the replacement, although I luckily realized and didn’t get quite as low the second time...
It’s easy to become distracted, easy to become complacent, easy to make a little mistake.
Sorry for your loss.

Ya it’s a bummer for sure. I got distracted, panicked and pulled the stick the wrong way. Stupid mistake, and a costly one but this is the risk you run flying. I’m glad I didn’t crash it into a person or someone’s property. Could have been worse.

Reactions: Moozer
Yes indeed, water seems to be very confusing to the sensors and these don't always recognize water. I had a similar accident with my MA flying above a river when it flew into an area out-of-sight and I pulled the wrong joy stick down. MA dropped like a rock (sport mode) into the river.
Water can be confusing as explained in the manual but obstacle avoidance does not operate when flying in Sport Mode because the drone tilts too much for the sensors to be viewing ahead of the drone.

Reactions: LightByter
I always watch the altimeter so I know exactly how much room I have. Doesn't take much pressure on the stick to start and maintain a descent without even feeling it.

How nice would it be to have a dedicated altitude hold function like a fixed wing aircraft’s autopilot has while leaving the other two axis alone? So even if you bumped the left stick up or down the aircraft height wouldn’t change.

KB

Reactions: LightByter
How nice would it be to have a dedicated altitude hold function like a fixed wing aircraft’s autopilot has while leaving the other two axis alone? So even if you bumped the left stick up or down the aircraft height wouldn’t change.

KB

Sounds good, but then you'd have posts about people flying into buildings/obstacles because it didn't go up/down as they expected. A solution for one type of problem, generally creates another set of problems.

From most of the threads I have read where a bird was dunked they were returning and it is easier to move the sticks the wrong way because everything is kind of opposite. I am still working on staying coordinated with coming home, going out is no problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: conchman
I haven't quite done that but I have noticed that there is a temptation to pull back on the stick to avoid the ground - perhaps from flying fixed wing?
Early on I was going to set the sticks up opposite of how they come, I still think about it. Pulling back is my instinct for going up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cutitout and sar104
Whenever I see posts like this or watch YouTube videos with eminent crashes, it reminds me that before my next flight too refresh my recollection on emergency procedures. Thank God that DJI conveniently put a read panic emergency stop button conveniently on the controller! The problem always seems to be that most pilots focus on a myriad of other things and forget about emergency procedures until it is too late.

Sorry for your loss, Michael

Reactions: JDawg
Easier said than done I am sure but I think in any 'my drone did something crazy' except a non calibrated compass situation if the pilots would just take their hands off the sticks or hit pause all would be good. Again easier said than done when you think your bird is out of control.

Last edited:
Reactions: sar104
Sorry for ur situation ...wanted to share that the Same thing happened to me after a update . I was able to get the drone back and sent to dji for repair but they wanted almost 800 bucks and after fighting about the price and the randomness of the situation ( mavic falling out the sky) ,they only offered a 15% discount . Sucks to say the least . Lost a new drone buying customer with me . Buying used from now on and using 3rd parties repair services .

What a great convo. I have absolutely no idea about any of this so it’s a good lesson to learn. I have flown over water and noticed it a little windier so kept it high. I really like the part about establishing the go home point it records and will make sure I give the drone chance to capture this before speeding off. So much to learn and great forum to do it in.....sorry for your loss though.

My Mavic 2 Pro Crashed into the ocean yesterday. I’m in Hawaii and was flying over the ocean about 100 yards off shore. With about 20 percent battery left i began to bring the drone home, i was only a few hundred feet away. For no apparent reason, the drone dove down at an angle and crashed into the ocean. I could not control it all from the remote, although I tried. No sensor warnings went off. I can’t figure out what went wrong and am more than a little disappointed to see my M2P gone. I looked over the flight log and there isn’t much to see. The drone just stops and crashes with about 20 percent battery left, no warnings, no sensor activity- it just dropped from the sky only a few hundred feet away from me on shore. Is there anyone that can analyze my flight log and explain what happened? I’ve never had a problem like this with my old phantom or Mavic Pro 1. If anyone can help, please let me know how to send my flight log info and I’ll do so. Thx

Did you disable the vision positioning sensors? From everything I have read if you don’t disable that over water then it will make your mavic do some wacky things.

Reactions: jesswin
Sorry for ur situation ...wanted to share that the Same thing happened to me after a update . I was able to get the drone back and sent to dji for repair but they wanted almost 800 bucks and after fighting about the price and the randomness of the situation ( mavic falling out the sky) ,they only offered a 15% discount . Sucks to say the least . Lost a new drone buying customer with me . Buying used from now on and using 3rd parties repair services .

If you really did the same thing - i.e. fly it into the sea by confusing the elevator with the throttle - then it's not really surprising that DJI didn't replace it for you.

If you suffered from a different problem - unexplained shutdown of the aircraft - then it depends on what happened. If, as seems to have been the case with a number of those incidents, the battery was incorrectly installed, then again - that's pilot error. It's not yet clear whether there is another category of problem resulting in the FC crashing, and without being able to read the aircraft DAT files, it's really hard to tell the difference.

Reactions: dannybgoode
My Mavic 2 Pro Crashed into the ocean yesterday. I’m in Hawaii and was flying over the ocean about 100 yards off shore. With about 20 percent battery left i began to bring the drone home, i was only a few hundred feet away. For no apparent reason, the drone dove down at an angle and crashed into the ocean. I could not control it all from the remote, although I tried. No sensor warnings went off. I can’t figure out what went wrong and am more than a little disappointed to see my M2P gone. I looked over the flight log and there isn’t much to see. The drone just stops and crashes with about 20 percent battery left, no warnings, no sensor activity- it just dropped from the sky only a few hundred feet away from me on shore. Is there anyone that can analyze my flight log and explain what happened? I’ve never had a problem like this with my old phantom or Mavic Pro 1. If anyone can help, please let me know how to send my flight log info and I’ll do so. Thx

I think the newest update raises the low battery warning up to 25%, this happened to me after the update. So I lowered it down to believe 15% but at 10% the M2P will start to land. You can still override this but it’ll constantly try to land as you’re increasing elevation.

Yours probably started to land on it’s own at 19-20%? However, you should have been able to keep it flying as you continuously keep raising elevation.

Try and remember if this is what happened, sooty about the lost M2P.

Paul

I was flying over the Northwest Pacific with my new Air, 40% battery and, BAM, all of the sudden 0 % battery and force landing kicked in. Luckily wind carried it into pithing 10" of shore and I was able to recover it. I am having a dispute with DJI as they charged me a replacement on my Refresh account and it was product failure. I will let you know the outcome. My flight log has it recorded.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard