Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P M-log h265 vs standard h264 file

MediaFlow

Reactions
Hey guys,

I've just started experimenting with the M-log profile and :
although I can see that it has a better Dynamic range,
It appears to me that we loose a lot of detail due to the noise that is recorded (or rather not corrected)

I tested on the same background, with the same parameters (4K HQ, around 1/50, Iso 100, F5.6)

3 footages :
  1. Standard color profile H264
  2. M-Log profile H265 + DJI M-Log to REC709 Lut
  3. M-Log profile H265

We can see that the highlights are less blown with the M-Log profile,
but the same footage with the Official DJI M-Log to REC709 footage darkens a lot the blacks/shadows,
the standard profile is well saturated, we can see a lot of details in the blacks ; and the whites are, as I said, more blown than the other profiles for sure

When I zoom on the middle of the image on the brown part of the seat I find that the M-Log profile is extremely noisy compared to the standard profile and we can't even dissociate the noise from the details. The M-Log + DJI LUT just crushes the blacks so that we don't even see what's going on there.

When I look on the blue rectangles of the pillow, it also seems a lot sharper on the standard profile than on the M-Log profiles

Although I see the advantage of having a wider dynamic range... Even after color correction, I'm not sure to be able to get a better overall result (noise, sharpness, color) with the M-Log profile considering I have to :
  • Color correct
  • Color grade
  • Correct the distorsion
  • Denoise
and that all of those add up to the workflow and are pretty time consuming and takes a lot of computer ressources.
Will I really be able to get a result which has : better colors, better sharpness, less noise than the standard profile

What do you think ?

1. M-Log profile H265
  2. Standard color profile H264
H.265 is more advanced than H.264 in several ways. The main difference is that HEVC allows for further reduced file size, and therefore reduced required bandwidth, of your live video streams. Unlike H.264macroblocks, H.265 processes information in what's called Coding Tree Units (CTUs).

This works for me for 4K Using the correct ND filter

Frame rate either 25 FPS 1/50 or 30 FPS 1/60 ISO 100 and F4 - F5.5 whatever gives me a 0 at the bottom.

Last edited:
When you apply lut in resolve - check the histogram in the color correction screen to adjust gamma and brightness. If all that sounds too cryptic and complex - use stock 264 mode, it does an ok job.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329