DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3- for Pro use it flies like a pig.

the M3 as an aircraft is some sort of joke
But if you are not a Pro
Unfortunately this thing acts like a drunken sailor.

You might want to consider sending yours in. Or, if you're confident it's not broken, consider going back to the M2. I never flew the M2 much; I had no use for it other than hyperlapse. But compared to every other DJI drone, Alta, heavy and most other drones used by "professionals" (insert your own definition of pro here), I've found the M3 flies with impressive stability. I would gladly pay thousands of dollars to have my Inspires fly so well (even with the ongoing GPS issues). Same for the heavies.

There's plenty of room for improvement. I think the APAS never quite fully turns off. But I am just not sure what "professional" standard you are comparing it to. It certainly is not the most responsive but if that's what you're after, I'd suggest FPV.

**** Chris, quite an impressive bio . . . you may know a few things about aerial photography and cinematography. I'm following and listening sir . . . ‼️
James, there is a good saying in my business that keeps us grounded. "You're only as good as your last gig", but thanks! 😎

You might want to consider sending yours in. Or, if you're confident it's not broken, consider going back to the M2. I never flew the M2 much; I had no use for it other than hyperlapse. But compared to every other DJI drone, Alta, heavy and most other drones used by "professionals" (insert your own definition of pro here), I've found the M3 flies with impressive stability. I would gladly pay thousands of dollars to have my Inspires fly so well (even with the ongoing GPS issues). Same for the heavies.

There's plenty of room for improvement. I think the APAS never quite fully turns off. But I am just not sure what "professional" standard you are comparing it to. It certainly is not the most responsive but if that's what you're after, I'd suggest FPV.
Ian, quite apart from the stability issues it is mostly the lack of ability to fly really slowly, and fine control.

I think its way beyond obvious that the Mavic 3 has been a major let down to many Mavic 2 lovers.

Personally I feel like DJI have really dropped the ball here, and to see so many issues still plaguing their new drone even after several FW updates is extremely disappointing. Plus DJI reneging on what they said regarding a new M3 RC Pro combo being cancelled just shows what a poo storm this release has been for DJI.

How can a drone with 3 years of technological advancements and company experience be so much worse than what the M2 still delivers to this very day?

The camera and flight time doesn't really mean much when the rest feels like a step backwards, well for me anyways.

I'm just glad I refunded it right away tbh.

I think its way beyond obvious that the Mavic 3 has been a major let down to many Mavic 2 lovers.

Personally I feel like DJI have really dropped the ball here, and to see so many issues still plaguing their new drone even after several FW updates is extremely disappointing. Plus DJI reneging on what they said regarding a new M3 RC Pro combo being cancelled just shows what a poo storm this release has been for DJI.

How can a drone with 3 years of technological advancements and company experience be so much worse than what the M2 still delivers to this very day?

The camera and flight time doesn't really mean much when the rest feels like a step backwards, well for me anyways.

I'm just glad I refunded it right away tbh.
Definitely feels like that for me at the moment Point Zero, degraded aircraft, degraded app and degraded controller for a much higher price! Btw, had trouble even finding the APAS on and off as the switch only seems to appear when the aircraft is powered down, happy to be shown otherwise if I'm doing something wrong though! Re-calibrated everything again including the controller and IMU (yet again!) and it still drifts the same. Actually the more I play with it the more I realize it is not just drifting laterally but also up and down, even though it's a couple of inches it is enough to turn a pro shot into an amateur one. Adjusted the smoothness levels as suggested by someone but no difference, also tweaking EXP settings made no difference for the drift issue. But as I mentioned it is not just the drift problem, the lack of a controllable low speed is every bit as important. I've just noticed that so-called slow speed "Cine" mode has exactly the same lowest speed as "Normal" mode! So what's that about DJI? It seems they spent a lot of time on bells and whistles features for the latest update but very little on the basics.

Definitely feels like that for me at the moment Point Zero, degraded aircraft, degraded app and degraded controller for a much higher price! Btw, had trouble even finding the APAS on and off as the switch only seems to appear when the aircraft is powered down, happy to be shown otherwise if I'm doing something wrong though! Re-calibrated everything again including the controller and IMU (yet again!) and it still drifts the same. Actually the more I play with it the more I realize it is not just drifting laterally but also up and down, even though it's a couple of inches it is enough to turn a pro shot into an amateur one. Adjusted the smoothness levels as suggested by someone but no difference, also tweaking EXP settings made no difference for the drift issue. But as I mentioned it is not just the drift problem, the lack of a controllable low speed is every bit as important. I've just noticed that so-called slow speed "Cine" mode has exactly the same lowest speed as "Normal" mode! So what's that about DJI? It seems they spent a lot of time on bells and whistles features for the latest update but very little on the basics.
It's unfortunate but that kind of marketing sells. Wiz Bang junk with no fundamental value. In general; what is the usable dynamic range? What is the usable ISO or gain range qualified with noise content? What actual tools are present, waveform, false color, focus peaking, zebra? What are the different codecs used and what are their compression rates? What is time available per media choices? What is usable power up time? Answer: Crickets. But shizam! It has this here super hot feature that nobody can figure out what it does from the name. Ya gots ta have it ta have the latest and keep up wit tec-a-nolo-gee!!

You stated that Cine mode has the same lowest speed as Normal mode?
I can assure you there is a lowest possible speed, it is called "stopping" and it happens well before it should in terms of achieving a cinematic shot. Put more simply the "lowest flyable speed" in either mode is not slow enough and is faster than the M2P.

Reactions: Droniac
So you did cave and bought an M3 huh ?
Should have listened to yourself in the couple of past threads you posted, resolving not to take the jump.

Still, suppose you have the M2P still and who knows, maybe with some DJI tweaking they can smooth things out somewhat in future updates for the new bird . . . that's what a lot are waiting for.

So you got a M3 Flymore, or did you get the whole hog and take on the Cine ?

• Haha
I can assure you there is a lowest possible speed, it is called "stopping" and it happens well before it should in terms of achieving a cinematic shot. Put more simply the "lowest flyable speed" in either mode is not slow enough and is faster than the M2P.
Okay - I'll bite. What is the lowest flyable speed on the M3?

Is this discussion asking the same question Philip Bloom did here? Sign the Petition
I think it's basically the same issue, but he was specifically looking for lower gain on the sticks by reducing top speed. The comments here appear to be complaining about over-sensitive response at low speeds.

I think it's basically the same issue, but he was specifically looking for lower gain on the sticks by reducing top speed. The comments here appear to be complaining about over-sensitive response at low speeds.
I see. Interestingly in Blooms Youtube video he's using rubber bands to provide an analogue resistance to try and get back that cinematic feel and quality. Surely is something that could be tweaked by DJI. So many cases these days of manufacturers taking away features that everyone just loves (windows 11 for example and Taskbar). I hope DJI make this change as so many seem to value that ability and the drone is designed for cinematic use? I think I'm going to stop reading reviews and pop back up in three months time and make a call between the Mavic 3 and Lite+ as seems to be a rollercoaster ride of opinion on both of them at the moment. Might be best to wait for them both to be tweaked then compare...

Are Cinesticks available yet for the M3 (either controller) ?
I've lost track of which controllers suit which drone now.

So you did cave and bought an M3 huh ?
Should have listened to yourself in the couple of past threads you posted, resolving not to take the jump.

Still, suppose you have the M2P still and who knows, maybe with some DJI tweaking they can smooth things out somewhat in future updates for the new bird . . . that's what a lot are waiting for.

So you got a M3 Flymore, or did you get the whole hog and take on the Cine ?
Interesting comment, how did I "cave" in buying an M3? . I have never once said I wouldn't buy an M3, just the M3 Cine for the reasons I listed weeks ago.

• Haha
It appears Phillip's article does comment on the same two issues ".... wonderful super slow top speed of 1m/s Tripod was gone and replaced with this new 5m/s Cine mode. The sticks were also much more sensitive in this mode."

Interesting comment, how did I "cave" in buying an M3? . I have never once said I wouldn't buy an M3, just the M3 Cine for the reasons I listed weeks ago.

Ah, it was just the cine.
Yes, it seems just the new camera is all most pilots here would need.
ProRes and SSD really are ok in some ways (for a limited group of pilots), but not so good in others in the general drone hobbyist / general commercial (film maker) sense.

There's still lots of unhappy M3 owners around from comments here, and a few happy ones you see time to time.
I guess it's those still wanting the M2 and earlier flyability vs all this new tech and different behaviour in some aspects in comparison.

Ian, quite apart from the stability issues it is mostly the lack of ability to fly really slowly, and fine control.

Ah, the below made me think stability issues:

If you hover it swings sideways back and forth like its on the end of a rope. If you try to track forward or back, the same, if you crane straight up or down, the same, all with ZERO wind.

I've had no problem with holding a creeping pace and once they added expo settings in the app, that made slow yaw much easier. The short sticks on the RC Pro still take some getting used to compared to other full-sized controllers but even with that limitation, it is still fully capable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FredFulf