DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 always hand launched and landed...

I have done it every which way.
Hand catch. From the deck. Off the pontoon. Launch pad. Grab the Rescue Jacket.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Coming from fixed wing model aircraft, I have always been taught not to put any part of my body to the side of the props, I n front or behind is fine, just not to the side as if a prop ever breaks that is the direction it’s going to travel in. I see quite a few people hand launch and I have to wince when I see 4 props spinning within arms length of a face!

??? Trolling??? Just wondering why you always hand launch is all. I’ve never tried it.
Try it, it keeps your drone nice and clean also...

Sorry. I didn't mean you were trolling, I was answering your question.

This thread looks like a troll to stir up the hand catching debate again.
Wrong!
Because I wanted to share my method is all...

Only drawback to hand launching/landing is you need to pay attention and keep the drone facing AWAY from you at all times. And maybe consider wearing gloves...lol. Worse is taking off/landing on your car roof, screws with the IMU.
Was landing on a buddies rolling Van roof and no it did not mess up the IMU...

Hand catching is a learned trade, it isn't easier with the drone facing you, for most who haven't learn the skill set of how to fly in reverse orientation. I would say if one wanted to learn how to properly hand catch at first they would do so nose out.

That way left is left, right is right, front is....well you get the idea. :p If one thinks that hand catching is dangerous it is only because you haven't got to that level of skill set yet....and best to leave it to those that have devoted the time to learn that level of flight and coordination.

Taking off the hand is relatively easy as you basically just "throw" the drone into flight. Landing is better done at just above head height so that face and eyes are well clear of blades. Many have developed their own sequence of how to do it in many variations, so what works for one, may not work as well for the next guy/gal. Again it is a learned procedure.
Well said !

I normally launch from the toolbox of my truck and hand catch if a smooth, clean landing point is unavailable. Never really thought of it as something to brag about.
That's what you get for thinking, to each is own...

Coming from fixed wing model aircraft, I have always been taught not to put any part of my body to the side of the props, I n front or behind is fine, just not to the side as if a prop ever breaks that is the direction it’s going to travel in. I see quite a few people hand launch and I have to wince when I see 4 props spinning within arms length of a face!
"It will quit hurting as soon as the pain goes away"
lol...

I normally launch from the toolbox of my truck and hand catch if a smooth, clean landing point is unavailable. Never really thought of it as something to brag about.
Hi
I have always wondered if I could take off/land from the bed of my pickup truck. I have had folks tell me its is a very bad idea but still hear of others doing it.
Haven you ever encountered a problem?
Thanks

Hi
I have always wondered if I could take off/land from the bed of my pickup truck. I have had folks tell me its is a very bad idea but still hear of others doing it.
Haven you ever encountered a problem?
Thanks
I haven’t had an issue putting my MA2 on top of the toolbox (away from the rear window) and launching from there. I start the motors first by pulling back and in on the sticks and then pushing up on the left stick to launch. I make sure the home point is set, but I usually land manually — either on a clear spot on the ground or in my hand.

Life is a risk, if you don't take it you're not living life...
Taking risk without reward is plain stupidity. I am a paragliding pilot, I have broken my leg during landing but I accept that risk because flying gives me immense happiness. Unless the ground is not flat or very dusty, I cannot see any point to do hand launching / catching. Of course if it's windy, doing so is just asking for trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: elborak
Tool boxes, hoods, truck beds and roofs are fine if they are made with aluminum, plastic, or fiberglass.

Ferrous metal construction of the items could result in a compass error of the aircraft and erratic behavior

I've always hand launched as well, I don't like dirt. Never had issues with drift. I also Velcro my Strobe to the belly of my MA2 and my MM1 before that. It could still land and takeoff without hurting anything but I just don't want to. It is definitely harder to hand catch in the dark btw.

I did see a picture of a cool landing pad with LEDs lighting it up and that has me considering a pad lol, especially for when the new rules kick in.
Landing pad with LED's? I gotta check this out. Yahoo, more $$$ to spend!

Reactions: joeywestside
Its ok to take off from the surface of ferrous metal objects. Just dont power on the drone next to them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett