DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 dropping after hand launch like a stone

One thing worth mentioning is that in both cases, the motor failed to start after the "sticks in" command was given :

case 1:

Capture1.JPG

case 2 :

Capture2.JPG

The OP had to try the second time before the motors could be started. I am not sure if this is a characteristics of MA2. On my M2P, the motors can always be started in the first attempt.

Hey Com,

i wanted to share my newest expierience. Unfortunately it wasnt a good one. Yesterday I went out to the mountains and wanted to take some nice footage as I do oftenly. I found a nice spot not far away from the summit and prepared everything. Since it was a very rocky area, I decided to hand lunch, which I have done dozens of times before. Everything was set up and I had the conformation to fly. I pressed both sticks down and the propellers startet to spin - as always. So i pushed up the left joystick and the drone started to lift up in the air a few centimeters and then - suddenly dropped like a stone to the ground, hitting some rocks and and spinning on its back until it switched off.

I was super shocked and couldnt replecate the situation. Propellers had some scratches but still looked okish to at least check again if the MA2 still would fly. I searched a good spot nearby where I could ground start the MA2 with my extened legs. Ok everything was set up - no warning, so I started the motor again. I pushed up the left joystick again and the MA2 lifted in the air.. for around 20 - 30 cm before it fell down with its face forwad, crashing into a rock. Now the gimbal is damaged and I opened a case with DJI.

I checked the logs but couldnt find anything suspicious - howerver I am not a pro at all. Maybe somone of this forum can read something out of it.

"Flight" no1:app.airdata.com/share/cFLMNm

"Flight" no2.:app.airdata.com/share/vvEACb

I never heared or red anything like this before. I thought the MA2 was pretty safe to fly unless you are doing a pilot mistake. I am curious to see what DJI will say and /or do!
Did you happen to put the props on the wrong way... Sounds like it to me.

One thing worth mentioning is that in both cases, the motor failed to start after the "sticks in" command was given :

The OP had to try the second time before the motors could be started. I am not sure if this is a characteristics of MA2. On my M2P, the motors can always be started in the first attempt.

I think its a MA 2 charackteristics since I always get it when pressing both sticks down to initate the start. A warning pops out to be sure to have the blades installed properly. But on this list you posted, there are plenty of "motor start fail" warnings.. o_O

Did you happen to put the props on the wrong way... Sounds like it to me.

As I wrote severeal times. I am pretty sure I didnt install them the wrong way. Unfortunately I didnt make a picture before I sent the MA2 in, but I was flying many, many times without any troubles with the same props and without changing them.

Hi all,

got a very undetailed report regarding the crash, where the customer support states, that it would be my fault and I should take more care about where and how to launch the drone and I need to pay for the repair myself. I am really dissapointed and I think that they didnt care about the report I sent in. Also they just focused on the first crash and not about the second start which also crashed. In my eyes the support here is really weak and the customer relationship from DJI as well. I do have care refresh but however I dont think its my fault that the drone just fell down two times while launching it.

I now wrote them back that I am not going to accept their undetailed assessment. Lets see what they will answer. Its a pity since I am losing a lot of time not having my Drone to fly around.

Hi all,

got a very undetailed report regarding the crash, where the customer support states, that it would be my fault and I should take more care about where and how to launch the drone and I need to pay for the repair myself. I am really dissapointed and I think that they didnt care about the report I sent in. Also they just focused on the first crash and not about the second start which also crashed. In my eyes the support here is really weak and the customer relationship from DJI as well. I do have care refresh but however I dont think its my fault that the drone just fell down two times while launching it.

I now wrote them back that I am not going to accept their undetailed assessment. Lets see what they will answer. Its a pity since I am losing a lot of time not having my Drone to fly around.

I am sorry to hear about that but that's kind of expected because the drone is not supposed to be hand launched. That's a very convenient excuse for them.

I'm not saying you had the props on wrong. With all the comments about them being on wrong I gave it some thought. If all four were on wrong it just wouldn't take off at all from the ground as they would be thrusting down. How ever the partner props are on opposing corners. If you swap/change them they're identical and you haven't changed anything. If take a drone with the props on correctly and switch any two that are on the SAME SIDE (sides front or back) you'll have two together creating lift and two pushing down. That explains the flipping over. As far what happens in a hand launch with two backwards you can let me know. There are plenty of You Tubers intent on showing you how to deliberately destroy a drone. maybe we could get them to demonstrate for us.
The only other mix up in blades would be if you dug in the box and got into a spare set and ended up with 1 clockwise and 3 counter clockwise ones or vise a versa. Let me know how that works out. Have observation videos to show us.
Here's an experiment, if you taped some lead sinkers on the opposing corner from the wrong prop it just might fly as the opposing props that are correct would carry the drone the incorrect one with the sinkers would create just enough lift to balance the drone on the adjacent correct props and the incorrect one wouldn't require any thrust. You don't need 4 props to fly a drone especialy if it's designed and balanced for 3. That's what the lead sinkers do is make a 3 motor/prop work.

Hi Joe,
The props were alright and at their designated spot. In two (very undetailed) flight analysis by dji , they said that it was my fault since I did start the Drone from an uneven surface. They also just mentioned start n.1 which was out of my hand but only scratched the props. They didn't even care about the second start from the ground which also crashed and led to the damaged gimbal which's repair they want me to pay...

I'll keep you updated but please don't bring again the prop positions.. I did fly many times before in the same constellation of propellers!!

I don't know if anyone read the first sentence where I wrote " I'm not saying you had the props on wrong." but, I do remember reading something about " As I wrote severeal times. I am pretty sure I didnt install them the wrong way." But I know I didn't write anything about that!! And I won't bring it up again!!
I know that I was reading so many theory's about flip and crash, propellers on wrong, and other speculations I just thought it worth some thought and report to the people my finding!! Of my thoughts!! Heck I've even heard of people hand launching and forgetting to start the engines!! Now I'm not! implying anything like that happened here!! Now if you were taking off in a sprint and fell down on the rocks then jumped up and tried to go again you just might still be a little dizzy and fall again breaking your gimble!! I think the first thing I'd do in this situation is take selfies to document the damage from my fall!! I think It's time for me to move on to more interesting less confusing threads!! That's all folks!!

Hi Joe, no offense to you! Just felt like this thread was going from the beginning in a wrong direction regarding the props:

I got an update by DJI customer service. They now claim that with the first crash the drive system was damaged so it was not able to lift with the second flight again. Intresting part is that the drive system is not mentioned in any analysis before nor it is mentioned in the repair plan which only states two damaged controllers and one damaged gimbal arm... I am very confused about all this and think its not very clear communicated . Still I think blobuis analysis is probably best we can get here. Thank you again for this!

Hi Joe, no offense to you! Just felt like this thread was going from the beginning in a wrong direction regarding the props:

I got an update by DJI customer service. They now claim that with the first crash the drive system was damaged so it was not able to lift with the second flight again. Intresting part is that the drive system is not mentioned in any analysis before nor it is mentioned in the repair plan which only states two damaged controllers and one damaged gimbal arm... I am very confused about all this and think its not very clear communicated . Still I think blobuis analysis is probably best we can get here. Thank you again for this!
I'm afraid I text and read text like Key and Peele. Here's a link

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000