DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 won't go an further than 50m and max altitude is 30m

Reactions
That message about sign in is the clue that everyone else has missed.
To overcome the flight limitation you have to be signed into your DJI account in the app.
Try signing out and then sign in again and you should be fine.
Hi Meta4,
I am experiencing the limitation after the latest firmware update. The MA2 won't go an further than 50m and max altitude is 30m. I am sure not to have set any "beginners mode" in the Fly software. When hitting the distance limit there was no extra information but going up to the 30m altitude limit there was a message briefly appearing: something to do with login and/or proper ID of the drone. Sorry, I didn't do a screenshot at that time. I was logged in (in dji Fly app) with my account. I quickly tried to logout and login again but it didn't solve the problem. Back home I re-entered the ID information in the drone and applied. All settings seem to be correct. Obviously the settings for max hight and distance are set to a higher value than the 50m/30m. This was the first thing that came into my mind.
I'll give it another try later today and see if the messing with the ID did any good.
Regards,
Frederic.

Hi Meta4,
I am experiencing the limitation after the latest firmware update. The MA2 won't go an further than 50m and max altitude is 30m. I am sure not to have set any "beginners mode" in the Fly software. When hitting the distance limit there was no extra information but going up to the 30m altitude limit there was a message briefly appearing: something to do with login and/or proper ID of the drone. Sorry, I didn't do a screenshot at that time. I was logged in (in dji Fly app) with my account. I quickly tried to logout and login again but it didn't solve the problem. Back home I re-entered the ID information in the drone and applied. All settings seem to be correct. Obviously the settings for max hight and distance are set to a higher value than the 50m/30m. This was the first thing that came into my mind.
I'll give it another try later today and see if the messing with the ID did any good.
Regards,
Frederic.
Is the ID you are talking about the Identification in the control tabs of the app interface? That would be Remote ID once the FAA has fully implemented it. Unless you want to...you don't have to worry about that.

Is the ID you are talking about the Identification in the control tabs of the app interface? That would be Remote ID once the FAA has fully implemented it. Unless you want to...you don't have to worry about that.
No ... I was talking about your DJI account
It has nothing to do with the FAA or remote ID.

No ... I was talking about your DJI account
It has nothing to do with the FAA or remote ID.
Yes, I know. I was talking about Frederic Mawet . He was the one talking about remote ID.

Moved to it's own thread :)

Thanks for your reply Mavics Rule. I am living in Belgium (EU) so the FAA rules don't apply over here ;-)
Since the firmware update there is someting not right with the ID settings. This seems to be mandatory (something needs to be in that field, even if it's generic like "mavic air 2). I couldn't get the info to be applied without any error. The last thing I tried was just re-flashing the drone with the assistant 2 software. After that the ID field updated correctly. Maybe I'll find some time in the next days to test.
Accorting to the other thread the issue seems to exist on the mini 2 as well. Maybe a combination of the iPhone 12 Pro and the latest version of dji Fly?
I remember also to be a little surprised that after installing the latest firmware (the first time) non of the batteries needed to load an update. Not sure that the second time that I installed the firmware on the drone (this time via the PC) it did any update of the battery firmware. I will check firmware versions on all the batteries as soon as I get back home.
In the mini 2 thread nobody seems to have found the exact cause of this issue either.

Hi Meta4,
Regards,
Frederic.
Hi Frederic,
I've experienced this 2 or 3 times now when out on paid jobs and I haven't discovered why or how it got fixed, but let me give you an example of 1 specific time and how I got around the issue to carry on working. I was droning a large combine harvester working and struck this very issue. Due to the work, the 30m height wasn't an issue but re the distance, when it reached the edge of the range, I just reset the home point which gave me another 50 m away I could fly and when it got to 100m away, repeat. HOWEVER ! you have to repeat these stages in reverse to get the drone back to you, AND if it gets to RTH time, it will land at the last recorded home point, where-ever that may be ( I'm not sure you can reset the home point once in RTH mode...... )

I then followed the farmer up the road to the next paddock and after launching the drone it worked normally without limitations, so not sure what caused the original issue :-(

Here is what I found out and how the issue got solved (so far) on my MA2: It all began with the update of the drone to 01.01.0610. As usual I have installed over the air and the process ended without any errors. I cycled through the two extra batteries and was a little surprised that this time the Fly app didn't prompt to update the battery's firmware (later it seems that maybe there lies the issue). No flights for several weeks after the update so I more or less forgot about it. A week ago on the first flight after the update the drone was bumping against the 50m/30m limit. When hitting the vertical limit it had shown the warning: Flight altitude restricted. Log in or go to real-name authentication. I checked and I was logged in with de dji account. Tried to login and log-out but no win. Re-installing the app (on iPhone 12Pro) wasn't solving the problem either. There was one thing though: The ID was empty! where normally it says Mavic Air 2. When I filled that in manually and tried to save it showed a warning that it failed to do so. After many tries the warning didn't show but after exiting the input screen en rechecking the ID field was empty again.
I came back to my house and decided to reload the firmware on the drone but this time with DJI Assistant 2. After that the ID showed with Mavic Air 2 filled in automatically. This was maybe the solution! I went for a spin and and it worked fine, till... I swapped the battery. The 50m/30m limitation was there again. The issue with the ID not showing up was also present. So it seemed that the battery change triggered the ID-issue and this caused the limitation to be activated. This "faulty" battery was not in the drone while I reloaded the firmware with DJI Assistant 2 the last time. I went back home and did the complete process of loading the firmware on the drone but this time with the batteries that were left alone previously.
My conclusion: The batteries didn't get their proper update after loading the firmware on the drone en cycling through them. The only way to get the batteries updated was to reload the firmware via DJI Assistant 2 with the battery in the drone. I didn't find a way to actually check the battery firmware.
Now I can cycle through all three batteries and the ID shows correctly and no 50m/30m restriction is activated.
I hope my experience helps. Please feel free to leave a little comment if this has solved the issue at your end.
Happy flying,
Frederic.

Here is what I found out and how the issue got solved (so far) on my MA2: It all began with the update of the drone to 01.01.0610. As usual I have installed over the air and the process ended without any errors. I cycled through the two extra batteries and was a little surprised that this time the Fly app didn't prompt to update the battery's firmware (later it seems that maybe there lies the issue). No flights for several weeks after the update so I more or less forgot about it. A week ago on the first flight after the update the drone was bumping against the 50m/30m limit. When hitting the vertical limit it had shown the warning: Flight altitude restricted. Log in or go to real-name authentication. I checked and I was logged in with de dji account. Tried to login and log-out but no win. Re-installing the app (on iPhone 12Pro) wasn't solving the problem either. There was one thing though: The ID was empty! where normally it says Mavic Air 2. When I filled that in manually and tried to save it showed a warning that it failed to do so. After many tries the warning didn't show but after exiting the input screen en rechecking the ID field was empty again.
I came back to my house and decided to reload the firmware on the drone but this time with DJI Assistant 2. After that the ID showed with Mavic Air 2 filled in automatically. This was maybe the solution! I went for a spin and and it worked fine, till... I swapped the battery. The 50m/30m limitation was there again. The issue with the ID not showing up was also present. So it seemed that the battery change triggered the ID-issue and this caused the limitation to be activated. This "faulty" battery was not in the drone while I reloaded the firmware with DJI Assistant 2 the last time. I went back home and did the complete process of loading the firmware on the drone but this time with the batteries that were left alone previously.
My conclusion: The batteries didn't get their proper update after loading the firmware on the drone en cycling through them. The only way to get the batteries updated was to reload the firmware via DJI Assistant 2 with the battery in the drone. I didn't find a way to actually check the battery firmware.
Now I can cycle through all three batteries and the ID shows correctly and no 50m/30m restriction is activated.
I hope my experience helps. Please feel free to leave a little comment if this has solved the issue at your end.
Happy flying,
Frederic.
Okay, well that seems to solve the issue, if you hit the wall, change the batteries to carry on flying :)

Happy flying,
Frederic.
For me it also sometimes not allows fly more than 30 meters, but I would love to get some more information concerning you said ID what that supposed to mean? I couldn’t find any id on my iPhone connected to controller and drone on, what I can try Re upload firmware to drone using a DJI assistant 2 that’s all

Here are some screen shots to guide you to the ID:
pic_01.jpg

pic_02.jpg

"Mavic Air2" appears automatically on my settings. If this field stays empty you get limited flight distance. For me it was not posible to edit this field manually when the issue presented itself. It didn't save the value correctly.
You will need to repeat the reload firmware on the drone with each battery installed one after another. Maybe there is another way but this is what I have found and it worked for me :cool:
Please let us knows if you manage to get it corrected.
Good luck,
Frederic.

Here are some screen shots to guide you to the ID:
View attachment 124914

View attachment 124915

"Mavic Air2" appears automatically on my settings. If this field stays empty you get limited flight distance. For me it was not posible to edit this field manually when the issue presented itself. It didn't save the value correctly.
You will need to repeat the reload firmware on the drone with each battery installed one after another. Maybe there is another way but this is what I have found and it worked for me :cool:
Please let us knows if you manage to get it corrected.
Good luck,
Frederic.
Thanks for information, but that id field can be named whatever you wish no? Or it should be automatically mavic air 2 ?

p.s when you update firmware on a drone using Pc, do you keep your phone connected to rc controller? I mean DJI app is switched on like you would like to fly?

for me I easy manually enter “Mavic Air2” and press apply and it saves, I tried on every battery to see if value is set and it’s set so I need try fly

Last edited:
Thanks for information, but that id field can be named whatever you wish no? Or it should be automatically mavic air 2 ?

p.s when you update firmware on a drone using Pc, do you keep your phone connected to rc controller? I mean DJI app is switched on like you would like to fly?

for me I easy manually enter “Mavic Air2” and press apply and it saves, I tried on every battery to see if value is set and it’s set so I need try fly
You may rename it in whatever you want but it cannot be empty. For me it was not possible to simply put a name in that field and save it. It wouldn't remember the setting. After the firmware reload it remembered the setting.
No need to connect the remote when using the dji Assistant 2. In my case it was switched off completely (and no phone connected either).
Clearly it is some kind of bug we ran into. Maybe this new version 1.3.0 of the Fly app also addresses this issue. I have not installed it yet and probably wait for a couple of weeks ;-)

You may rename it in whatever you want but it cannot be empty. For me it was not possible to simply put a name in that field and save it. It wouldn't remember the setting. After the firmware reload it remembered the setting.
No need to connect the remote when using the dji Assistant 2. In my case it was switched off completely (and no phone connected either).
Clearly it is some kind of bug we ran into. Maybe this new version 1.3.0 of the Fly app also addresses this issue. I have not installed it yet and probably wait for a couple of weeks ;-)
Ok thanks for information again, I will check flying and see if update using assistant helped, I updated only one battery using update

Still same problem, it flew without restrictions for the first time, but after I landed and wanted take off again I got warning that there is d airspace or something and it would let me fly more than 30 meters, even with updated firmware using Pc and with same battery but ID is empty when I enter Mavic Air2 it won’t save

Attachments

• 2F2E2275-5ABC-4AFE-90E4-A3A221F869BA.png
    2F2E2275-5ABC-4AFE-90E4-A3A221F869BA.png
    554.9 KB · Views: 15
In fact it can be empty, and it doesn’t effect your altitude at all, I tried updating firmware via Pc and it didn’t helped Id still empty and it cannot be saved, so it’s not affecting a altitude, because I tested 3 battery one by one in a same place and drone flew 200 meters high without any issues and ID was empty

p.s that id entry is just optional not needed entry at all

My ID box has always been empty and worked fine until just a few days ago. Day before that I could take it up to 400ft limit that I set. I have refreshed the firmware on both the smart controller and MA2 but nothing I try seems to work. I hit about 95ft and I get that login dialogue that flashes for a half a second. I called Customer Service and they haven't a clue what I am talking about. I talked to the tech support and the best they had to offer was to send it back and use one of my replacements on my refresh plan. I said no to that. Seems like a warranty issue, not something I need to pay 50 bucks to have replaced.

My ID box has always been empty and worked fine until just a few days ago. Day before that I could take it up to 400ft limit that I set. I have refreshed the firmware on both the smart controller and MA2 but nothing I try seems to work. I hit about 95ft and I get that login dialogue that flashes for a half a second. I called Customer Service and they haven't a clue what I am talking about. I talked to the tech support and the best they had to offer was to send it back and use one of my replacements on my refresh plan. I said no to that. Seems like a warranty issue, not something I need to pay 50 bucks to have replaced.
File warranty claim.

File warranty claim.
I think that would be the way to go if there weren't others suffering the same issue. If DJI doesn't show some interest in the matter then I have zero faith they would find anything wrong if I sent it back. Even going the replacement route would give me no confidence that it wouldn't happen again. I am hoping for some form of acknowledgement from DJI that they are looking into it or have a few things to try.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan