DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magic 2 Zoom Distance

Keithhawes

Reactions
New Magic 2 Zoom flyer here. Maybe I’m crazy but I don’t believe my zoom is flying as far as it says it is. Why is this? Has anyone had an experience with incorrect distance reading?

Total distance = total flight. Not how far away. If you go straight out to 1000ft and straight back it will show 2000ft as total distance. Correct?

Reactions: Former Member
Are you concerned that you don’t have the full control range (signal drops sooner than you’d expect) or that you don’t have the full flight time (battery drains faster than you’d expect)?

First, it's Mavic, not Magic (though many of us would consider the technology "magic")

The range specs are under ideal conditions. Perfect LOS and no other radio interference. I'm lucky I can get 1 mile in my area. Usually it's more like 1/4 - 3/4. I often get interference with digital FM and XM as well.

Reactions: Cmick1972
First, it's Mavic, not Magic (though many of us would consider the technology "magic")

The range specs are under ideal conditions. Perfect LOS and no other radio interference. I'm lucky I can get 1 mile in my area. Usually it's more like 1/4 - 3/4. I often get interference with digital FM and XM as well.
Take a look at the Alientech antennas. They have videos of getting huge ranges in metro Singapore. I haven’t been farther out than about 2.5 miles which is about as far as I can see the strobes in daylight, but I still uniformly have had full signal indicated on my CS.

New Magic 2 Zoom flyer here. Maybe I’m crazy but I don’t believe my zoom is flying as far as it says it is. Why is this? Has anyone had an experience with incorrect distance reading?

You in the US? If so , it could need a change from metric to imperial.

Hmm… I think mostly the distances are right, even when comparing with Earth/Maps.
The max distance i flew till now with my MZ in CE mode was 2,4 km. When hit the 2,4km i got the message "adjust antenna".

Dude dji came out with another new drone? Got to see reviews on this Magic 2 zoom!!! Dang just bought the mavic 2 zoom....tech these days.....sigh

I
Hmm… I think mostly the distances are right, even when comparing with Earth/Maps.
The max distance i flew till now with my MZ in CE mode was 2,4 km. When hit the 2,4km i got the message "adjust antenna".
If your willing to deal with install, appearance and directionality consider an antenna mod or a booster. I have the Alientech and in open desert get full signal strength at twice the distance you note... but usually fly back about this time due to battery remaining. Signal strength about 9-13 dB I, also fly out against wind to ensure enough power for RTH... not up for unnecessary hikes or landing in suboptimal places. ;)

I

If your willing to deal with install, appearance and directionality consider an antenna mod or a booster. I have the Alientech and in open desert get full signal strength at twice the distance you note... but usually fly back about this time due to battery remaining. Signal strength about 9-13 dB I, also fly out against wind to ensure enough power for RTH... not up for unnecessary hikes or landing in suboptimal places. ;)
Hmm. I still have a pair of parabolic extenders from my spark. Will these work with the MZ2?
I mean they only work with wifi antenna?

When hit the 2,4km i got the message "adjust antenna".

Usually increasing altitude or improving line-of-sight by moving your remote positioning will improve the signal. And forget about the parabolics -- if you want real power you need to go with one of those booster mods. Ugly, but effective.

The farthest I’ve flown to date according to the drone is 21,000 ft.

21000 feet is like four miles. Given 4 miles is way outside of VLOS, why would you want to do that anyway?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661