DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magic Air takes off by itself and flies at me!

Most people hand launch from a boat. but it is the up and down movement that screwed you, as would trying to launch the mavic while the boat was moving forward
I guess that is the only way to do this.

SO - has anyone thrown a MA (while idling) into the air, and it starts up and hovers? This is a feature I have never seen identified, discussed or a video. Would be curious.

In that previous thread I came to the conclusion that the behavior may be related to the ability to launch the aircraft by throwing it into the air. Not that I've tried it for real, but when I tested it with no props installed it did spool up and attempt to fly when dropped.

This about covers it does it not? Experiment over land first just in case!

It does - however I still believe this should be an option you can turn on/off. A person should be in control of when their drone launches, not just when the motors are started.

Thanks everyone!

I dont have a mavic air, have you looked through the manual? Maybe you CAN turn off auto altitude hold. I dont think you can with the pro.

I dont have a mavic air, have you looked through the manual? Maybe you CAN turn off auto altitude hold. I dont think you can with the pro.
AUTO Altitude Hold is when I am flying. NOT when I am idling awaiting takeoff. I want that feature on. I just want a new feature that says "Don't take off unless I tell you to" - not a real lot to ask IMO... I have a cut leg to prove it. My guess is 99.9% of the people that own a MA, don't realize it will do this. It's not in any manual, movie, or other official documents. I'm not mad, or such, I just am commenting - nothing else. However I do hope that DJI considers this and will work with them on the thought. Continuous Improvement - on a near perfect machine.

This would NOT be an issue if you were not on a bobbing boat. It would never happen on land.

It does - however I still believe this should be an option you can turn on/off. A person should be in control of when their drone launches, not just when the motors are started.

Thanks everyone!

I agree - in fact it almost seems like the default setting should be "off". Operation from a moving boat must be a relatively common use case.

Reactions: Jaws369
Sorry but this makes no sense. Do you think an plane, helicopter, car, motorcycle, lawnmower cannot idle without the system thinking it's running/flying? This is an interlock. I should be able to let me MA sit, idling for 15 minutes, looking out the camera, letting it do what it wants, programming in a flight, reading how to use a new feature, etc, all without it taking off and flying into something. Not good control programming at all.

Pretty sure that a car, plane, motorcycle, and lawnmower do not possess the ability to take off vertically. And the Helicopter is controlled directly by a human, not by stabilizing tech like a drone is.

You call this sloppy engineering, but let's think about how this works. The device only has so many parameters to go off of based on sensors, and they have to decide which one has the higher priority. You have a downward sensor on it, but is it always going to be turned on? Why would that one have precedence over the others? How accurate is it? What happens if the wind slightly picks it up if the craft is on the ground?

No, you made poor decisions in an outlier situation, and you're unhappy because you want to put the blame on anything else but you. After all, it's easy to push the blame on other things Stop trying to change the world when you're the one that needs to change.

Thanks everyone!
Sorry about your injuries, but thanks for posting. I was unaware of this as well.

Pretty sure that a car, plane, motorcycle, and lawnmower do not possess the ability to take off vertically. And the Helicopter is controlled directly by a human, not by stabilizing tech like a drone is.

You call this sloppy engineering, but let's think about how this works. The device only has so many parameters to go off of based on sensors, and they have to decide which one has the higher priority. You have a downward sensor on it, but is it always going to be turned on? Why would that one have precedence over the others? How accurate is it? What happens if the wind slightly picks it up if the craft is on the ground?

No, you made poor decisions in an outlier situation, and you're unhappy because you want to put the blame on anything else but you. After all, it's easy to push the blame on other things Stop trying to change the world when you're the one that needs to change.
Dude I’m a Pilot for prop planes, fighters and helicopters, an Engineer and Programmer in about every language and control system that exists the last 30 years. I’d agree with you if you were right.
I love this drone, it’s a great piece of equipment. Nothing is perfect. I agree it’s a great piece of equipment but I also agree there could be some improvements too. If you cannot agree to that, it’s fine. I always take responsibility for my actions and wasn’t blaming them for it, I was saying it happened and could be improved.
I really don’t care if you like it. Thanks all for the help.
S

Sorry but this makes no sense. Do you think an plane, helicopter, car, motorcycle, lawnmower cannot idle without the system thinking it's running/flying? This is an interlock. I should be able to let me MA sit, idling for 15 minutes, looking out the camera, letting it do what it wants, programming in a flight, reading how to use a new feature, etc, all without it taking off and flying into something. Not good control programming at all.
It does have interlocks, turn it on and do what you like on the controller. It will sit their till the battery goes flat. But the moment you initiated prop rotation (idle) you you unlocked that lock and drone was ready to fly by sticks, sensors or any means necessary to hold its position so when the boat rises and falls in the waves the drone will spool up to maintain a constant altitude. It's user error for starting props and letting idle, YOU took your so called lock off.

there was another kinda simmilar thread a few days ago, very sad one though, a guy wanted to film on a cruise ship i believe and had all the proper ok from captain and such, of course the ship was moving not sure how fast and when the mav went up to hover it stayed still and the ship moved into it hitting the railing and falling into the ocean,,,,,, gone, he thoought the mav took off into the railing when in fact the mav was stationary and the railing came to it, sad story but was an eye opener for sure,,,,

I agree - in fact it almost seems like the default setting should be "off". Operation from a moving boat must be a relatively common use case.
Considering dji drones aren't water proof, I don't think they want to see launching from boat a common use case.

New one for me today. Took my MA on a boat to take some awesome video stripper fishing and after turn on, it asked for a calibration Which I did on the bow. Then I started the motors and left it idling to show my friends the screen. After about 3 to 5 seconds, not touching the sticks, it spun to full power and flew up and directly in my direction. Hit my leg and hand. Nice gash cut into leg.
So is it IMU, Compass or joystick? Anyone else have this happen?
How do I tell now that i’m home?
Thanks.
what you experienced is totally normal,the boat moved and shook the drone which will cause certain motors to spin up.start it while holding it,tilt it but make sure you hold it tight.

I performed an interesting test today. I held my MP above my head and started the motors to idle and slowly lowered it. The motors maintained a fairly steady idle. I then raised it back up and quickly lowered it and the motors revved up to maintain position. I am guessing a big wave did the same thing; made it want to maintain position while you and the boat moved into it.

I agree that it is a mistake to allow the Mavic to fly without explicit commands from the controller, but that's how it is. Perhaps an email to DJI with your story and suggestion for a software change is in order.

Reactions: buzzbuggy1970
Considering dji drones aren't water proof, I don't think they want to see launching from boat a common use case.

True, but they aren't proofed against all kinds of events. I don't know what DJI want to see, but they are commonly used that way and I haven't seen any DJI warnings against launching them from boats.

Reactions: buzzbuggy1970

I really can’t wrap my head around what you’re getting at here. Why would you ever need the MA to idle to adjust anything? Just about everything on the drone can be adjusted with the MA turned on and not idling. You seem very upset that the MA will take off once you have the motors spinning, but these interlocks you refer to ARE in place until you start the motors. I’m sorry your MA came at you like that, but blaming the engineers seems ridiculous. You specifically commanded the MA to start its flight phase with the CSC command.

Airplanes and helicopters idle because they may need electrical power or time for a reciprocating engine to warm up. There is no need to spin up you MA and let it sit for 15 minutes idling on a boat. Literally no reason.

Again, I’m sorry you had this issue, and let this be a lesson to all of us, but I don’t think it’s the engineers fault. Next time, just spin up the MA when you’re actually ready to fly. Problem solved.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots