DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magic Air takes off by itself and flies at me!

I do see (and take) your point, for hand dropping it is acting as designed. I think it would make more sence if it switched to "Air" mode as soon as you started the motors instead of staying in "Ground" mode. To me, if it knows it's on the ground, it should not be able to take off without a specific user command.
As the OP said, having an option to turn on and off the drop-to-launch option would be the best solution, in that case, the AC would have a designated command to start flying when dropped. -CF

I do agree that could be rather misleading if it still indicates that it is on the ground. I assume this behavior simply happens because once the propellers are initiated, the flight has started whereby the ground indicator simply indicates that propellers are idling. It is programmed however expecting you to takeoff when the props start spinning since there is no reason/requirement to have them idle before flight. So any bit of input that suggests it should move will make it actually takeoff.
I think that's the key thing here, that one should only start the propellers if he/she is truly ready to takeoff without much further delay. An option to disable the vertical hold would therefore be redundant. Its simply best to refrain from unnecessary idling on moving platforms by either taking off immediately or use the automatic launch command instead.

But I do get that you would not expect the drone to react to vertical hold when sitting still.

I'm sure I'm days behind this conversation. But as I read through the posts I have noticed one thing that no one has commented on. I work at a DJI authorized dealership. I am a 107 certified pilot and do a lot of commercial flights as well as training. I have experience flying everything from aTello to t the Matrice series. The first rule I teach is NEVER take off with the camera facing you or anyone around you. This is because in the event that something like this happens no one will be in the way to be injured by the spinning props. It is a good lesson for everyone. Safety FIRST. Even a small Tello or Spark can do injury to a person with the props spinning. Could take an eye out. I have seen it happen many times to inexperienced drone pilots who don't point the camera away. You should always be looking at the rear LED's when taking off. Not only will it prevent this type of accident but it also puts the drone in the natural orientation. Some new pilots put the camera facing them. Then when they launch and push forward control lever the drone comes right at their face. Orientation at take off is an important safety item to remember.

Reactions: mmoguls
New one for me today. Took my MA on a boat to take some awesome video stripper fishing and after turn on, it asked for a calibration Which I did on the bow. Then I started the motors and left it idling to show my friends the screen. After about 3 to 5 seconds, not touching the sticks, it spun to full power and flew up and directly in my direction. Hit my leg and hand. Nice gash cut into leg.
So is it IMU, Compass or joystick? Anyone else have this happen?
How do I tell now that i’m home?
Thanks.
Interesting thread. I think the solution here is once you start the props get the bird up in the air a bit - and safely away from you. Tough lesson to learn - thanks for sharing.

Wait, guys! I suddenly just saw this in a completely new light!
"Magic Air takes off by itself and flies at me."
That's the solution, it was a Magical Air!

Sorry but this makes no sense. Do you think an plane, helicopter, car, motorcycle, lawnmower cannot idle without the system thinking it's running/flying?
A car and most of the other vehicles mentioned is considered running one the engine is powered on.
Your car, when in idle is only not. Moving because either there is no gear shifted In (grown up cars), or because there is active breaking applied (automatic). The same is true for your motorcycle or lawnmower, A jet plane on idle doesn't move because it's actively breaking (in fact idle thrust is not rarely used during taxing), and I'm sure similar applies to helicopters (but I don't know), and a drone is considered running once it's armed.

Interesting Topic. Following
I've got two Mavic Air's. One is a problem child and even DJI engineers are stumped. It keeps renaming it's self. I've got no control on what it decides to use. Always interesting to look and see each flight what it's called today. And on top of that landing one day, stick held down, directly over the landing pad it decides to take off full forward and crashed. 2 of us looking and watching. LOL

New one for me today. Took my MA on a boat to take some awesome video stripper fishing and after turn on, it asked for a calibration Which I did on the bow. Then I started the motors and left it idling to show my friends the screen. After about 3 to 5 seconds, not touching the sticks, it spun to full power and flew up and directly in my direction. Hit my leg and hand. Nice gash cut into leg.
So is it IMU, Compass or joystick? Anyone else have this happen?
How do I tell now that i’m home?
Thanks.

Launching and more likely calibrating from a moving surface may have affected it and caused errors. Make sure you get that cut patched up.

I'm sure I'm days behind this conversation. But as I read through the posts I have noticed one thing that no one has commented on. I work at a DJI authorized dealership. I am a 107 certified pilot and do a lot of commercial flights as well as training. I have experience flying everything from aTello to t the Matrice series. The first rule I teach is NEVER take off with the camera facing you or anyone around you. This is because in the event that something like this happens no one will be in the way to be injured by the spinning props. It is a good lesson for everyone. Safety FIRST. Even a small Tello or Spark can do injury to a person with the props spinning. Could take an eye out. I have seen it happen many times to inexperienced drone pilots who don't point the camera away. You should always be looking at the rear LED's when taking off. Not only will it prevent this type of accident but it also puts the drone in the natural orientation. Some new pilots put the camera facing them. Then when they launch and push forward control lever the drone comes right at their face. Orientation at take off is an important safety item to remember.

I don't understand your reasoning. Uncontrolled flight after takeoff can be in any direction - not necessarily forwards with respect to the aircraft. And if the motion is commanded, then if you take off with the aircraft facing you then why would you apply forward elevator? You could equally argue that it the aircraft takes off while facing away from the operator, and then backwards elevator is applied, the same thing will happen.

Reactions: Simmo
I don't understand your reasoning. Uncontrolled flight after takeoff can be in any direction - not necessarily forwards with respect to the aircraft. And if the motion is commanded, then if you take off with the aircraft facing you then why would you apply forward elevator? You could equally argue that it the aircraft takes off while facing away from the operator, and then backwards elevator is applied, the same thing will happen.
I get the point of what he's saying (although obviously I agree with you as far as uncontrolled flight goes).
Really he's just saying that when the camera is facing you, it's less natural, as the controls are reversed and could more easily be confused. When it's pointed away, it is easier as all the controls line up.
I could easily picture someone new to drones screwing this up if they don't understand the reversal of their inputs when the drone is facing them.

Even a small Tello or Spark can do injury to a person with the props spinning. Could take an eye out. I have seen it happen many times to inexperienced drone pilots who don't point the camera away.
No you haven't.

I'd be surprised if you had been present for a single incident of someone having their "eye taken out" by a Tello, or any other drone, but I wouldn't be suspicious.

"Many times" is just unadulterated BS.

Reactions: Slowcaptain
Just because you get it right 99.999% of the time, @sar104, I have to nail you on the trivial, petty stuff :D:D

With a quad, it's "pitch", not "elevator".

:p

(all in good fun, please don't take offense)

Reactions: sar104
Just because you get it right 99.999% of the time, @sar104, I have to nail you on the trivial, petty stuff :D:D

With a quad, it's "pitch", not "elevator".

:p

(all in good fun, please don't take offense)
The motion of the quad on its Y axis is called "pitch," the action of moving the stick forward or back is known as "elevator" input.
Back to 100%;)

Reactions: Bazzam and Simmo
The reason I pointed it out is because I see it all the time with new unexperienced pilots. When I take them out to fly for the first time after the lesson I let them put the drone down on the ground. When they face it towards them inevitably they push the controls in the wrong direction thus making the drone fly towards their face. That's why I now stress to face the camera away. I have seen experienced pilots do it as well when trying to impress someone with their skills and not taking their time for SAFETY FIRST.

The motion of the quad on its Y axis is called "pitch," the action of moving the stick forward or back is known as "elevator" input.
Back to 100%;)
Nah, not convinced.

As many others here, I'm a Private Pilot, and I've never heard anyone refer to "forward elevator". Forward pitch, yeah, but not the former.

In terms of common usage that I've been around for 20 years or so, "elevator" generally comes up in referring to the control surface, not the behavior of the aircraft, or the action of the stick (or yoke in most a/c).

Reactions: brichter
Nah, not convinced.

As many others here, I'm a Private Pilot, and I've never heard anyone refer to "forward elevator". Forward pitch, yeah, but not the former.

In terms of common usage that I've been around for 20 years or so, "elevator" generally comes up in referring to the control surface, not the behavior of the aircraft, or the action of the stick (or yoke in most a/c).
Fair enough, in the flight logs however, the controller stick motions are referred to as respectively: elevator, aileron, and rudder.

When they face it towards them inevitably they push the controls in the wrong direction thus making the drone fly towards their face.
Sure, common mistake. I believe this 100%.

That's not what you said.

Rather, your original statement had you routinely witnessing people experiencing eye injuries, which was just ridiculous exaggeration at best, dishonest at worst.

We don't need to be scaring people around here. You are right that safety is critically important. At the same time, it doesn't serve that purpose to act like officers of the old D.A.R.E. program for kids and grossly exaggerate the danger.

Stick with the truth. There's plenty of real examples of people being injured by foolish behavior with drones. Don't have to make them up.

Fair enough, in the flight logs however, the controller stick motions are referred to as respectively: elevator, aileron, and rudder.
Well, we are talking DJI, a Chinese company, which shows less than full competency with english routinely :D

Anyway, it's an argument over how many angels can dance on the head of pin, and my main point was just to give a friendly little stickpoke to @sar104. I take the poke back with aplomb :D

Reactions: sar104 and MavicCF
Its trying to keepo it position. The motors are spinning and gps is locked. That happened to me also. Thats why you have to hand launch

Dude I’m a Pilot for prop planes, fighters and helicopters, an Engineer and Programmer in about every language and control system that exists the last 30 years. I’d agree with you if you were right.
I love this drone, it’s a great piece of equipment. Nothing is perfect. I agree it’s a great piece of equipment but I also agree there could be some improvements too. If you cannot agree to that, it’s fine. I always take responsibility for my actions and wasn’t blaming them for it, I was saying it happened and could be improved.
I really don’t care if you like it. Thanks all for the help.
S
Sounds like Jaws369 is trying to get support for a lawsuit. How many time does he say he cut his leg?
Did he ever upload the flight data?
Some drones are designed to be thrown to start them flying. By starting the motors you are in fact telling it you want it to fly and it may be doing just what it is designed to do. Yes a setting to disable that function would be appropriate, and most definitely yes, telling people that the function is actually built into the product would be the correct and proper thing to do, but taking off of a moving deck is beyond the normal scope of operating parameters.
Jaws, you can add two more titles to your long list of accomplishments- DRONE TEST PILOT and CRASH TEST STAND!!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike