DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magic Air takes off by itself and flies at me!

It's real interesting that the pitch of a boat could simulate the action of tossing a drone, but that makes sense. and if it's holding position... while the boat is moving, that would account for it seeming to fly towards him. the boat may have been going forward, while the drone stayed still... giving the illusion of forward movement.

Reactions: Cyberpower678
Just because you get it right 99.999% of the time, @sar104, I have to nail you on the trivial, petty stuff :D:D

With a quad, it's "pitch", not "elevator".

:p

(all in good fun, please don't take offense)

I appreciate you keeping me honest, and I agree that the term elevator is a bit of a misnomer for a quad. In this case though, the stick action that controls pitch is designated the elevator, at least in the log field headers.

RC.aileron
RC.elevator
RC.throttle
RC.rudder

Pretty sure that a car, plane, motorcycle, and lawnmower do not possess the ability to take off vertically. And the Helicopter is controlled directly by a human, not by stabilizing tech like a drone is.

You call this sloppy engineering, but let's think about how this works. The device only has so many parameters to go off of based on sensors, and they have to decide which one has the higher priority. You have a downward sensor on it, but is it always going to be turned on? Why would that one have precedence over the others? How accurate is it? What happens if the wind slightly picks it up if the craft is on the ground?

No, you made poor decisions in an outlier situation, and you're unhappy because you want to put the blame on anything else but you. After all, it's easy to push the blame on other things Stop trying to change the world when you're the one that needs to change.
Have to agree here . . you're on a MOVING PLATFORM . . .What did you expect? . . .I doubt the manual covers operations in Space either. When you operate outside the normal parameters (with a whole bunch of programming and sensors optimized for NORMAL operations) I'm not surprised it behaved unexpectedly. My guess is it was trying to maintain it's REGISTERED HOME LAT LONG ( at the point behind you when you turned it ON) it immediately tried to compensate. There is no DWIM key on a drone (Do What I Mean) . . it virtually always does as commanded . . and if you are operating under non-standard circumstance it's best to think more about what it MIGHT do before you try something for the first time. I tried flying from a moving boat once but I started it on Land ( to ensure a solid RTH point) and then flew around the bay knowing if anything happens it should return to the T/O point and not just ditch in the bay somewhere. I wonder how many machine are still under water from their first launch from the deck of a moving platform.

Good lesson though . . glad you were not hurt too badly. This has been another good lesson for me from the forum so thanks for posting this.

This is new news to me I didn't know its possible to start the props with out taking off. How is that done?

He had the controller in his hands the whole time, in your example, it would be like getting in a jet, spooling it up, and then sitting in idle while you ran a systems check. Suddenly, with no input, it goes to full throttle and rockets across the runway.
nice reply I agree some people attacking this guy and twisting his words shame

An interesting conversation - enjoying everyone’s (supportive) viewpoints.

Since no documentation or expected documentation is available in this scenario, I can see where different system engineers and programmers will implement code in various ways when not relying on foundation classes for code reuse.

From a typical users perspective, is for the MA to remain idling until an initial stick input thrust spin up has been initiated. Yet even here the devil is in the details - should it be for a certain time interval as:
- Greater Than .5 seconds?
- Stick movement Greater Than 50 percent throttle?
- Some combination of above
- Greater than “X” inches (practically not possible based on accuracy limitations)
- Some combinations of the above

Actually, let’s say the initiation is currently based on a very small stick movement (say 5+ percent), then a RC giggle on a boat could have caused initiation, etc.

However, as some prior posters have pointed out, perhaps on newer DJI smaller craft (350 or smaller size), DJI programmers have coded drones like the MA to facilitate “throw and activate spin-up) as a cool feature, not aware of potentially dangerous scenarios as discussed here.

But then what about a scenario such as a shutdown while in the air at say 200 feet? (Software/hardware/operator error). Wouldn’t the programmer or system engineer requirements specify to thrust up and hover IMMEDIATELY after reinitialization sequence? To me, I would program to this scenario over other more remote possibilities as discussed in this thread.

Happy trails and skyways, Michael

Pretty sure that a car, plane, motorcycle, and lawnmower do not possess the ability to take off vertically. And the Helicopter is controlled directly by a human, not by stabilizing tech like a drone is.

You call this sloppy engineering, but let's think about how this works. The device only has so many parameters to go off of based on sensors, and they have to decide which one has the higher priority. You have a downward sensor on it, but is it always going to be turned on? Why would that one have precedence over the others? How accurate is it? What happens if the wind slightly picks it up if the craft is on the ground?

No, you made poor decisions in an outlier situation, and you're unhappy because you want to put the blame on anything else but you. After all, it's easy to push the blame on other things Stop trying to change the world when you're the one that needs to change.

REALLY! Are you the resident psychiatrist? Your reply doesn't foster anything useful for this otherwise informative thread. As a well known member you should know better.

New one for me today. Took my MA on a boat to take some awesome video stripper fishing and after turn on, it asked for a calibration Which I did on the bow. Then I started the motors and left it idling to show my friends the screen. After about 3 to 5 seconds, not touching the sticks, it spun to full power and flew up and directly in my direction. Hit my leg and hand. Nice gash cut into leg.
So is it IMU, Compass or joystick? Anyone else have this happen?
How do I tell now that i’m home?
Thanks.
Is your drone posessed ? [emoji3]

No way to solve this UNKNOWN STATE ACCIDENT by conjecture . . Anyone got a boat? and a net? Put the drone on a 2-3ft tether and put the net around the drone a few feet away . . now, do all this on the front of a moving boat. and try to re-create the scenario a few times. . do the same re-calibration and in different waves/boat pitching . . with rotors turning just sit there an wait. . . do nothing for a while . . If nothing happens try just nudging the the LEFT stick momentarily after it says "The home point has been updated, Please check it on the map". . just nudge it a tiny bit. Remember the Home Point is now registered in the drone's/Controller's memory as the spot you were at behind you ad minute to 2 ago . . .Still nothing . bump the left stick more and see if it tries to take off. If you put the controller down and nothing happens for several minutes . . it's just an unexplained phenomenon. . stuff happens. But give it some thought before you try this and you might be surprised what you learn, Accident re-creation is a valuable investigative tool. I'd love to know what really happened. I think we all would.

So what happens when you take off from a moving platform and it tries to hover over a "Home Point" that's already 10 meters behind you? . . does it follow in a hover over a moving platform.....I would expect that it stays over that Take-off point (LAT LONG) and you . . standing on the moving boat frame of reference . . . it appears to immediately and unexpectedly fly toward you. What am I missing? . . the only question really is how did it get airborne?

So what happens when you take off from a moving platform and it tries to hover over a "Home Point" that's already 10 meters behind you? . . does it follow in a hover over a moving platform.....I would expect that it stays over that Take-off point (LAT LONG) and you . . standing on the moving boat frame of reference . . . it appears to immediately and unexpectedly fly toward you. What am I missing? . . the only question really is how did it get airborne?

You really do need to read this thread before commenting further.

Sounds like Jaws369 is trying to get support for a lawsuit. How many time does he say he cut his leg?
Did he ever upload the flight data?
Doesn't need to. He's a Pilot for prop planes, fighters and helicopters, an Engineer and Programmer in about every language and control system that exists the last 30 years, brain surgeon, decorated firefighter, saved 3,428 lives as a Seal Team Six special forces operator, Eagle Scout, and single-handedly brought down the Soviet Union working covertly as a spy in the mold of James Bond.

Who the hell are you to question him? Demand uploads of logs? What makes you think you're even worthy to post in response to his greatness?

Sheesh, learn some respect, man.

:D

I appreciate you keeping me honest, and I agree that the term elevator is a bit of a misnomer for a quad. In this case though, the stick action that controls pitch is designated the elevator, at least in the log field headers.

RC.aileron
RC.elevator
RC.throttle
RC.rudder
Yeah, it's ambiguous at best w.r.t. DJI drones.

I tend to just say, "forward stick" when referring to control inputs. Regardless of the "correctness" of the term, it rarely is ever misunderstood.

Reactions: sar104
New one for me today. Took my MA on a boat to take some awesome video stripper fishing and after turn on, it asked for a calibration Which I did on the bow. Then I started the motors and left it idling to show my friends the screen. After about 3 to 5 seconds, not touching the sticks, it spun to full power and flew up and directly in my direction. Hit my leg and hand. Nice gash cut into leg.
So is it IMU, Compass or joystick? Anyone else have this happen?
How do I tell now that i’m home?
Thanks.
Very simple rule - no reprogramming/software updates/DJI contacts required - by all means power on the drone whenever you feel fit , but don't enable the props until your ready to fly !! Should see you good in the future, no need to over analysis the issue, a mistake was made best to try to learn from it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrispmooney