DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Make my own wetsuit brand

aaron3736

Reactions
Hello, I was looking at wetsuits and there appears to be only one brand and they aren't cheap for a bit of neoprene and plastic that's why I'm considering making making my own, it can be taken off at any time and have it grippy on the drone surface side, same material but considerably cheaper and made in Europe, any suggestions or ideas would be great, thanks.

Reactions: Torque and okw
Hello from the Crossroads of America aaron3736.

I own one of the wetsuits and rescue jacket (float) for my MA2.

I don't use the float much but do like the wetsuit.

same material but considerably cheaper and made in Europe, any suggestions or ideas would be great,

My American made brand was reasonably priced considering the Research & Development involved into making the product.

There was probably a few drones of different models that were trashed in perfecting the product over the years.

I'm considering making making my own,

Go for it. 👍

If you make something in the future, I'll look you up for my next aircraft, whatever that might be.

Good luck with your venture and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Reactions: hiflyer201
Ahh. A little competition for one of our vendors. @Phantomrain.org . That would be interesting.:oops:

Reactions: Torque
I would check whether or not Phantomrain has, in this context, any form of protection on the name "wetsuit".

I would check whether or not Phantomrain has, in this context, any form of protection on the name "wetsuit".
The term "wetsuit" is too generic at this point to trademark. You can trademark it as part of another name, like "XYZ Wetsuit". On the other hand, Neoprene is a registered trademark owned by Dupont.

Reactions: MA2 317
I'm thinking the same thing.
I don't think the name matters much. I say if you feel you can do it...go for it, but I have to say, our friend on the forum has tested his brand tirelessly in one of the rainiest spots in the U.S. and stands by his product. I don't have a clue as to how much they cost, but I've flown in rain enough to know that if water is going to get in it will and I've never heard any complaints about his "Wetsuit", my hats off to him!

Reactions: MA2 317
I'm thinking the same thing.
I don't think the name matters much. I say if you feel you can do it...go for it, but I have to say, our friend on the forum has tested his brand tirelessly in one of the rainiest spots in the U.S. and stands by his product. I don't have a clue as to how much they cost, but I've flown in rain enough to know that if water is going to get in it will and I've never heard any complaints about his "Wetsuit", my hats off to him!
I bought one of his wetsuits for either my Phantom 1 or Phantom 2 since I live in the Pacific NW. Now granted, this was years ago, and I'm quite sure he has changed the adhesive he used back then. That skin was permanently glued to the drone! I did not like that at all. I believe they CAN be removed now without leaving the drone covered in sticky residue. I ended up having to buy a new drone body and transfer the guts to a new body. Now I just fly naked in the Seattle rain.

Reactions: okw and hiflyer201
I bought one of his wetsuits for either my Phantom 1 or Phantom 2 since I live in the Pacific NW. Now granted, this was years ago, and I'm quite sure he has changed the adhesive he used back then. That skin was permanently glued to the drone! I did not like that at all. I believe they CAN be removed now without leaving the drone covered in sticky residue. I ended up having to buy a new drone body and transfer the guts to a new body. Now I just fly naked in the Seattle rain.
Yea that's one of the main things in mine I want is that it can be taken on and off endlessly

Reactions: Torque
Wetsuits are awesome to use. Allowed me to spend 20 mins in the mist yesterday, drone was dripping afterwards and was worth it for the sunrise up and out of the mist. Phantom has done a great job with his design and implementation. Best of luck in your venture, we need a supplier over here as it costs around £100 to get one delivered from phantomrain, but you do get a spare set so you could sell on to make some back, I'm keeping my 2nd in case my 2s decides it wants to leave home and need to replace it 😉
Mist only went up 300ft. Pic was at 6am at around 350ft.VideoCapture_20230518-080913_1684473862704.jpg

Attachments

• 2023-05-18-12-54-38-686.jpg
    2023-05-18-12-54-38-686.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: Capt KO and MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members