DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Make sure you get the right MicroSD memory

Terpinol

Reactions
To capture 4K footage, I bought what I thought would be an affordable, but adequate MicroSD memory chip: a SanDisk Ultra 128GB (128GB being the limit of what MP2 can handle).
410c0ZeBT-L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

It's rated Class 10 / U1, which according to this chart from the SD Association site should be able to handle (although not ideally, of course) 4K video.

speedchart.jpg
However, to my dismay, when I started up my MP2, I got a warning that my external memory isn't fast enough for recording 4K video. :( Wasted money. Back to shopping for faster memory. Just thought I'd pass that on.

You need a write speed of 100mbs to succeed, Class 10 UHS 3.

No issues with Sandisk Extreme Pro.

Reactions: Dizzy1971 and dtp
Yup, must be U3, even if an U1 was fast enough in practice it is looking for the U3 flag to enable 100Mbps recording.

That comment was incorrect.
The video is 100Mbps, which is 12.5MBps, so 30 is fine but 10 is not.

Anyway the only thing you need is an U3 card.

Just to provide more info for other readers / those doing research:
There are two aspects to video quality: Resolution (i.e. 4K, 1080) and bitrate (about of bits in a period of time) data (think of it more data = better details / quality). That is why it is important to not only think of can a card handle 4K but also can it handle the bitrate . You can encode 4k in a super low bitrate (8mbps) and it may work on a class 4 card. The reason U1 card may have worked for Mavic 1 is because those 4K videos were at ~59mbps. The 4K files Mavic 2 are 100mbps, which is 12.5 MB/s. That is more data and faster (higher wire speeds) cards are needed. From above chart, you can see U1 is maxing at 10MB/s, hence the OP got the error.

Reactions: Terpinol
According to the chart, U3 is only 30MBps, but we need to use 100MBps? V100?
mbps is megabits per second. Above chart is showing Megabytes. 100mbps = 12.5 MB/s. U3 card should be ratted for MINIMUM of 30MB/s.

I like Toshiba (UHS1 class 3)
I've had a Sandisk card physically break apart, they are nothing special, no need to pay more for one because they aren't *better*

watch out for amazon memory cards! there's so many counterfeits on there. i've ordered multiple micro sd cards claiming to be U3 (sandisk, samsung, and others). when i put them in my m2p, it says i have a slow card. i bought "the same model" from bestbuy, and it works fine.

Avoid 3rd partey sellers. Buy those that are sold by and shipped by Amazon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dizzy1971
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre