DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

making the switch to a 107 ...

lewisg147

Reactions
I just registered as a "recreational flier", but if/when I end up starting a business and utilize my drone for that, how can I go about changing my registration for a part 107?

Just register them under 107. $5 each, no biggy. I did this as there is no provision to change registration status from recreational to 107. If it's not obvious, you'll have to earn your 107 certification. Having your drone(s) registered under 107 doesn't allow you to fly under 107. Get your 107, it's worth it and required.

Pilot Institute has an awesome course that is worth it's weight in gold.

Last edited:
I just registered as a "recreational flier", but if/when I end up starting a business and utilize my drone for that, how can I go about changing my registration for a part 107?

Since you already have registered as a recreational pilot. When/if you get your 107 certification you will then need to reregister each drone used for commercial work individually. At that point you will remove the recreational number from any drone used commercially and then apply the new commercial number for that drone.

Any drones you own that won't be used for commercial work can keep your current recreational number and; your commercially registered drones can also be flown for fun with the new registration.

Think of a commercial registration as dual purpose, while a recreational registration, is single purpose but each commercial drone, must have it's own registration.

Where do you come up with a commercial registration for a drone?
When you get your 107 certificate you get a registration for you as a remote pilot. You then register each drone that you own under than license registration; each drone will get its own registration number so FAA knows it belongs to you, the licensed pilot. Each drone will have its unique registration number on the exterior of the aircraft. You then just allow the non-107 pilot registrations expire.
The purpose of each flight doesn't change the registration. You also have the responsibility to maintain flight logs.

You will be required to get a new registration. Part 107 requires a separate registration for all drones you may be flying.

Since you already have registered as a recreational pilot. When/if you get your 107 certification you will then need to reregister each drone used for commercial work individually. At that point you will remove the recreational number from any drone used commercially and then apply the new commercial number for that drone.

Any drones you own that won't be used for commercial work can keep your current recreational number and; your commercially registered drones can also be flown for fun with the new registration.

Think of a commercial registration as dual purpose, while a recreational registration, is single purpose but each commercial drone, must have it's own registration.
Hey Ty, Thanks, for the information on registrations. Looks like I will not need to get a commercial registration. I have just passed my 107 which I took just to have. I'm to old and retiring soon to even think of working anywhere. I just want to fly within the regulations and be left alone..hey right.... anyway.. HFTA!

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Where do you come up with a commercial registration for a drone?
When you get your 107 certificate you get a registration for you as a remote pilot. You then register each drone that you own under than license registration; each drone will get its own registration number so FAA knows it belongs to you, the licensed pilot. Each drone will have its unique registration number on the exterior of the aircraft. You then just allow the non-107 pilot registrations expire.
The purpose of each flight doesn't change the registration. You also have the responsibility to maintain flight logs.

What?

Under the FAA Commercial Portal you do Register the AIRCRAFT.

Where are you getting the "responsibility to maintain flight logs" from? While it's a GREAT idea it is NOT required under Part 107 currently unless you're operating under certain exceptions. Please cite your sources . . .

What?

Under the FAA Commercial Portal you do Register the AIRCRAFT.

Where are you getting the "responsibility to maintain flight logs" from? While it's a GREAT idea it is NOT required under Part 107 currently unless you're operating under certain exceptions. Please cite your sources . . .
Flight logs are not a requirement, but a responsibility. Even PilotInstitute recommends such: Tips on Keeping a Drone Flight Log - Pilot Institute

Flight logs are not a requirement, but a responsibility. Even PilotInstitute recommends such: Tips on Keeping a Drone Flight Log - Pilot Institute

How far do you want to take that? Checking the torque on the screws holding down the propellers before each flight isn't required. Do you think it's a responsibility?

My point is how far do you want to take this? We could make the preflight process 101 steps. The process should be connected to mitigating real risk. Some folks seem to want to make the process of flying a Mavic Mini on par with a Piper Cub or Cessna Citation.

Just register them under 107. $5 each, no biggy. I did this as there is no provision to change registration status from recreational to 107. If it's not obvious, you'll have to earn your 107 certification. Having your drone(s) registered under 107 doesn't allow you to fly under 107. Get your 107, it's worth it and required.

Pilot Institute has an awesome course that is worth it's weight in gold.
Much appreciated. Quick question though... do you need to have a business linked to the registration or is it just an acknowledgement that it can/will be used for such purposes?

No business link required.

Much appreciated. Quick question though... do you need to have a business linked to the registration or is it just an acknowledgement that it can/will be used for such purposes?
It's not about business or commercial registration. As a remote pilot 107, you just register each drone to your 107 certificate. 107 certificate just allow you access to all parts of the relevant 107 policies. No "commercial" registration.

Reactions: lewisg147
You're mixing and mashing phrases here.

While a flight log is a HUGELY good idea, it's not required and therefor you are not responsible for keeping one by merely having Part 107 and a Commercially Registered Aircraft.

I highly support and recommend @pilotinstitute as they are one of the best in the industry, but the mere fact they "recommend" keeping a flight is in now way a requirement or responsibility. We have to be careful and ACCURATE when we start dictating rules & regulations online for the general public. If we can't be accurate then we are no longer a credible source of information.

For total transparency, I keep a detailed Flight Log, Maintenance Logs, and logs on batteries etc but that's only because I feel it's what we do in Aviation and carry that over into UAS.

It's not about business or commercial registration. As a remote pilot 107, you just register each drone to your 107 certificate. 107 certificate just allow you access to all parts of the relevant 107 policies. No "commercial" registration.

You do know you can register an aircraft for Commercial Operations and NOT have your Part 107?

Reactions: Crow Horse
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro