DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Man fatally shoots another over a drone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet there is more to this story than what we read.

Reactions: bobbydoug
I bet there is more to this story than what we read.
Yeah, the kid has been harassing neighbors with his drone. He racked his gun before he even rounded the corner of his own house according to neighborhood security cams. The victim was a fed up neighbor. Powell is being charged with murder and 6 counts of discharge of a firearm with serious bodily injuries, all first-degree felonies. He is in the Weber county jail, no bail.

He said he shot the man because he didn't want to lose his drone. It cost a lot of money.

I grew up in Utah, graduated from Weber State University in Ogden. I spoke with my cousin LaRee's husband just a bit ago, Wayne is a police sergeant in Ogden, and the above was what he could say about the case.

Yeah, the shooter is screwed. Because it's a drone. We don't know all the details so waiting for more info....

Yeah, the shooter is screwed. Because it's a drone. We don't know all the details so waiting for more info....
No, he's in trouble because he brutally shot and killed someone without cause.

Suggesting that he'll be treated more severely because there was a drone involved is taking the drone-owner-as-victim viewpoint way too far.

No ... the shooter is screwed because by his own admission he killed a man over a drone.
Exactly. He shot the man 6 times, autopsy shows each shot would have been fatal. Because he didn't want to lose his expensive toy that he was harassing neighbors with. This has a lot do entitlement and a lack of coping skills, the drone was just the catalyst.

The drone is part of this story, but it's not going to be a major factor in the charges that will be brought up for the killer or the consequences. The killer has already given a statement to the police that he shot the victim multiple times and he has surveillance video footage that has their voices on it.

No ... the shooter is screwed because by his own admission he killed a man over a drone.
Can you post his statement and admission or confession please. I'd like to read it, too. Thanks.

Like I said, the shooter is screwed. 😂

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Because he didn't want to lose his expensive toy that he was harassing neighbors with.
This is exactly why I'm saying he is *screwed." 😂

And I think the guy is screwed because he talks too much.

• Wow
Reactions: Torque
The drone is part of this story, but it's not going to be a major factor in the charges that will be brought up for the killer or the consequences. The killer has already given a statement to the police that he shot the victim multiple times and he has surveillance video footage that has their voices on it.
I agree. I think he has admitting to shooting the guy. I'm not sure we know why for sure. I'll keep digging to see if I can find out, if you know why please post it. Because I likely missed that piece. You just never know what someone is going to say at their defense trial.

Can you post his statement and admission or confession please. I'd like to read it, too. Thanks.

To get the exact words that he used, you need to contact either Ogden PD and request to the see the charging document or contact one of the reporters who covered the case.

From KSL: 1 dead in Ogden shooting; suspect charged
KSL said:
A police booking affidavit said Brendon Michael Powell, 25, told police he shot a 31-year-old man multiple times over a dispute about a drone. Police said Powell did not know the person he shot.

A police booking affidavit says Powell told police he heard a commotion coming from a vehicle, so he flew his drone toward the area to "investigate," but his drone hit a tree near the vehicle. Powell went around the residence with a firearm to retrieve the drone.

Police said Powell approached the victim — who was holding the drone — with a flashlight attached to his firearm. The victim started to run away, then turned back to Powell "with one hand on the drone and one hand in his pocket," the affidavit says.

The victim then started moving towards Powell, the document says, and Powell fired seven rounds at him. The victim, identified by his wife as Royer Pena, died at the scene.

Surveillance footage from Powell's house shows Powell flying the drone; the drone is heard hitting a tree, then he "racks the slide of the firearm" before approaching the victim, police said. Powell and the man are heard arguing in the surveillance footage and seven shots can be heard.
He's "screwed" because he murdered someone. Not because he gave a statement to the police.

To get the exact words that he used, you need to contact either Ogden PD and request to the see the charging document or contact one of the reporters who covered the case.

From KSL: 1 dead in Ogden shooting; suspect charged

He's "screwed" because he murdered someone. Not because he gave a statement to the police.
I heard the news report and I read the news story and it sounds really bad for the shooter. Often the news get it wrong or leave alot out but that's fine, the truth will come out in court. No problem there.

It's never good to murder someone, for any reason.

I'm not his defense lawyer so I'm not here to defend the guy so I'll leave it at that, with just my opinions on just what I read and heard.

Hopefully we can find out more about the facts.

"Powell told police he fired about seven rounds, killing him.
He also told investigators he “didn’t want to lose his drone because of its value,” charging documents state."

“Brendon told us that he didn’t want to lose his drone because of its value,” read charging papers. Powell’s home is on the corner of 800 North and Liberty Avenue while Peña lived one street to the south on 750 North, according to his family."

When the dust settles I think we will hear that this was a neighborhood dispute over a drone that was flown in an invasive manner in the neighborhood. The victim attempted to confiscate the drone, and was shot after refusing to give it back to the owner. First the shooter says the victim ran, audio recordings from security cameras record an ongoing argument with no break from someone running off. Then the story changed and now the victim was "reaching into his pocket" and the shooter felt threatened, shooting the victim 6 times.

Reactions: AZDave
"Powell told police he fired about seven rounds, killing him.
He also told investigators he “didn’t want to lose his drone because of its value,” charging documents state."

“Brendon told us that he didn’t want to lose his drone because of its value,” read charging papers. Powell’s home is on the corner of 800 North and Liberty Avenue while Peña lived one street to the south on 750 North, according to his family."

When the dust settles I think we will hear that this was a neighborhood dispute over a drone that was flown in an invasive manner in the neighborhood. The victim attempted to confiscate the drone, and was shot after refusing to give it back to the owner. First the shooter says the victim ran, audio recordings from security cameras record an ongoing argument with no break from someone running off. Then the story changed and now the victim was "reaching into his pocket" and the shooter felt threatened, shooting the victim 6 times.
Yeah the way the news reports it, sounds really bad for the shooter. Whether those events happened exactly that way or not, he shouldn't have said it aloud to the police. I agree, when the dust settles, the facts will come out in front a jury and his fate will be determined. Personally I would never shoot someone trying to recover stolen property. Don't know what the laws are in Utah but it doesn't matter to me, self-defense is the last resort when no other measure is left and you have no choice but to act in order to save a life.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR