DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NYPD drones could be watching your large Labor Day weekend parties

Jam0ne

Reactions

"As New York City residents are preparing to barbecue, drink and have a good time over Labor Day weekend, police said that those attending large backyard parties might be visited by a partygoer they were not expecting to show up: A surveillance drone flying over private residences."

The New York Police Department announced Thursday that unmanned aircraft will survey large outdoor gatherings, including private events, in the city’s five boroughs to alert authorities to those that might become unruly. The drones will be deployed in response to noise complaints and other non-emergency calls before officers show up at parties celebrating Labor Day weekend, the West Indian American Day Carnival parade and the J’ouvert festival in Brooklyn, Assistant NYPD Commissioner Kaz Daughtry said at a news conference.

I posted similar story here but ok, good to get some visibility to how quickly this is going sideways. The entire mayor's news conference was how to finally get the drone technology to work for the city doing amazing projects and before the first project is underway, the spying begins with no permits, no rules, no fees, no accountability. My comments in the other thread notwithstanding:

Reactions: Jam0ne
For those who are not familiar with the Labor Day events around NYC......this from the Wall Street Journal ( not typically a general news type of publication) might help you understand what the cops are up against:
1693597617367.png

Reactions: 4006448 and Torque
A surveillance drone flying over private residences."
It's interesting that the police can fly over your residence but if we fly over someone's residence we're breaking the law. They call the police and threaten to shoot our drone.

but if we fly over someone's residence we're breaking the law.
Not true. In New York City maybe but not everywhere.

In regard to the OP:
I am SO glad I do not live in New York City! I used to want to go there for a visit to do some sightseeing but no more... I'll just be satisfied to go there vicariously with Google Street View

Reactions: gajman
Not true. In New York City maybe but not everywhere.

In regard to the OP:
I am SO glad I do not live in New York City! I used to want to go there for a visit to do some sightseeing but no more... I'll just be satisfied to go there vicariously with Google Street View
I'm not saying it's true. I'm just saying that's what some police think.

As of this moment, unless you are flying in one of the NYC parks where allowed, or operating from outside the boundaries of NYC ( which would at some point put you BVLOS) it not OK to fly anywhere in NYC...not just over someone's house....even if you applied for a permit on the first day they were accepting applications, it has not been 90 days. They said it would be a 90 day turnaround time

As of this moment, unless you are flying in one of the NYC parks where allowed, or operating from outside the boundaries of NYC ( which would at some point put you BVLOS) it not OK to fly anywhere in NYC...not just over someone's house....even if you applied for a permit on the first day they were accepting applications, it has not been 90 days. They said it would be a 90 day turnaround time
That is kind of weird,no ?

Reactions: shb
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N