DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Manually unfold props or spin out

Manuals, what manuals? I don't need no stinkin' manuals!

Sorry - couldn't resist. Though I guess if this is considered rude by some I might be banned.

On a more serious note, not following manufacturer guidelines put you in the crosshairs as in in violation of part 107 rules: so if you are flying part 107 - and not following the owners manual... this quote from the FAA training guide (emphasis mine).

7.3 Preflight Inspection. Before each flight, the remote PIC must inspect the sUAS to ensure that it is in a condition for safe operation, such as inspecting for equipment damage or malfunction(s). The preflight inspection should be conducted in accordance with the sUAS manufacturer’s inspection procedures when available (usually found in the manufacturer’s owner or maintenance manual) and/or an inspection procedure developed by the sUAS owner or operator.
But then going on the read 14CFR107.49, it isn't as restrictive... so... we are all left to guess. Like many drone rules - too much is unclear. But I'm willing to bet somewhere there is a policy, statement, rule, or other document that the FAA can apply to this, and why the test prep book makes mention of following the owners manual during flight prep.

Last edited:
I agree, folding them out takes no time, gives you an opportunity to check them and is less stressful on the props.

I was showing my friend how fast the Mini goes not realising we were stood in front of a tree, needless to say I had to switch two of my rotors…
Ha ha! loving it,
Similar here with my DJI Mini2, I had only flown it in my back garden/yard a couple of times and then found the Sport Mode switch, thought to myself should I or shouldn't I.
Now my back garden is about 30 yards long, I clicked into sport mode and buzzed it up and down the garden a few times amazed at the acceleration on the beast, I called the wife out (This is where the showing off started) I told her to step well back and said watch this this go, I shoved the stick forward as fast and hard as I could the drone shot up under the washing/laundry line that ran across the garden bits of smashed laundry pegs went all ways as well as splitting two sets of props.
Since then I have learned which stick is which, right thumb forward and backwards, left thumb up washing line. lol !

Had my Mini 2 beastie now for a few months have enjoyed flying and learning about it, but have to put my hands up to just starting it up without parting the props, thinking about it of course its is obvious that it will cause stresses and eventually damage to the structure.
You only have to have a car tyre just a little out of balance to make the steering wheel wobble and vibrate, we are talking 4 sets of props doing much the same .
Lesson learned many thanks for the heads up

It’s a no brainer, always open mine first. Anything which reduces stress and vibration on the motors and gimbal Is good.

Reactions: Joethedrone
What is the preferred method of unfolding props? Manually or let them spin out on takeoff?
MANUALLY UNFOLD. I didn't do that once during an auto take off and one of the props stayed folded!. Luckily I was paying attention and shut the motors down before they built up enough speed for takie off. For all I know, with one set of props not unfolded the drone might have flipped and damaged itself.

I noticed because the drone started shaking severely. I shut the motors off and saw that one of the props didn't unfold itself. They were new props, one was still tight around it's hinge points.

I've always opened my props up, but thats not because I knew about 'stress on the motors' ( I didnt until 5 minutes ago thanks @Pappy )
- I do it out of habit, Im 50 and look at "physics of labor" for lack of better term, in my day to day life. lol
- I just feel like you wouldnt start to dig a hole shoveling at a 45 degree angle (you could, but...), better to start in a place that sets you up in a natural course (shovel down.)
- Im weird like that, Im a window cleaner. lol

• Haha
Reactions: Joethedrone
@Rabber thank you for starting this thread. I too unfold my props, though have not on a few takeoffs--I noticed it seems like a struggle for the motors to open the folded props. I'll now be certain to unfold every time.

Lots of good feedback on here.

I have been flying since 2016. Using a Mavic Pro, then a Mavic 2 pro and I have never worried or thought about manually folding them open. I fly 3 to 4 times a week, on different jobs and to-date... I have never had anything like crack or break because of it, never replaced a motor yet either. My original MP is still in service. I have had cracked props before, but that was from doing some additional tree and hedge trimming while flying a job.

Reactions: lissforester
I'm with Dirk on this. Personally I think the stress part is way over stated. I guess that comes with watching big engines start and shut down.

I'm big on post flight inspection and I put the drone safely to bed after every flight.

DITTO! I inspect post flight extensively with eyes and hands. PreFlight I give a visual inspection but my REAL "feeling moment" is post flight.

I have probably "unfolded" the props maybe 3 dozen times total since I started flying a Mavic in ~ 2017/2018. I have several thousand flights and hundreds of flight hours on my Mavics and as of Sunday had zero cracks. In fact ,my Mavic Platinum is only on it's 2nd set of props since I bought it new many moons ago. The entire aircraft is still in perfect flying condition and we always start with the props "folded".

As always, YMMV and what works for me, may or may NOT work for someone else.

Guess I may as well put in my two cents... I've always unfolded mine manually, it just seems to me like the right thing to do. After this thread started, I tried arming the motors with the OEM props folded a couple of times.

1. I do not like the way the AC shutters when starting with props folded.
2. It's just 'ingrained' in me to do a very extensive pre-flight as opposed to a post-flight inspection.
3. Sometimes, just for kicks mostly, I use MAS props, which have a stiffer pivot point than OEM.
4. It only takes about three seconds to unfold them.
5. There's always the possibility that at least one set won't unfold themselves.

I called the wife out (This is where the showing off started) I told her to step well back and said watch this
:) haha... a UK redneck!!! Never thought I'd see that! :D Here in the Deep South, we say: Here, hold my beer and watch this! LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
For me here in Canada we are required to follow the recommended product manual. If it says to unfold props for any reason then you are required to do so. Now does everyone follow this to the letter, I know they don't. I do as I feel unfolding them is not that hard to do and just seems right. That being said if your going for your advanced certificate here in Canada (Like US 107) you must do a review before passing. If you don't follow the best practices then you will fail. Which means having your manual handy and you are following the recommended procedures. Now not all manuals have it listed to unfold the props so your mileage may differ. Having flight reviews makes a upcoming pilot more aware of things he might had missed on his check list. Not sure but I think the UK also requires flight reviews.

Guess I may as well put in my two cents... I've always unfolded mine manually, it just seems to me like the right thing to do. After this thread started, I tried arming the motors with the OEM props folded a couple of times.

2. It's just 'ingrained' in me to do a very extensive pre-flight as opposed to a post-flight inspection.
3. Sometimes, just for kicks mostly, I use MAS props, which have a stiffer pivot point than OEM.
5. There's always the possibility that at least one set won't unfold themselves.

:) haha... a UK redneck!!! Never thought I'd see that! :D Here in the Deep South, we say: Here, hold my beer and watch this! LOL
Oh No! We get everywhere, in every nation and on every continent, UK Rednecks Rule!

• Love
Reactions: umanbean

Oh No! We get everywhere, in every nation and on every continent, UK Rednecks Rule!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimmy poole