DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Map red arrow / Radar Problem

Reactions
Hello, here is my problem

In the map view, the red Arrow does not reflect the real drone orientation... it rotates as the drone yaws but there is almost a 180 degree gap between the arrow and the drone direction...
Both iPhone and drone compass are calibrated...

I've been using DJI Apps since I bought my first Phantom 2 Vision in 2013... then I upgraded to P2 Vision Plus and then to Phantom 3 Professional... Along these 3 years I got the habit of trusting the arrow in the map to pilot when the drone is out of visual reach..., when I use the P3P the DJI Go app also shows a blue line between the drone position and my position... Now, with me Mavic, the blue line is gone, and the arrow points to the Cuckoo's nest....

what i find strange is that the "compass" app in the phone is garbled too.... if I launch the IOS "compass" default app when I'm in flight, the compass is also indicating the north in a completely wrong direction...
I supposed it could be some sort of magnetic interference caused by the RC too close to the phone, so I moved the phone away from the RC with no result... i have to turn off the RC, kill and relauchi the compass app, amd then it does well for some time, after 30 seconds or so, the trouble comes out again...

Phone is iPhone 7Plus, IOS is up to date, DJI Go app is 3 latest version because I use it for Phantom3Pro and Osmo Mobile, not supported by DJI Go 4 (???!!!).....

Yep, same problem here. Galaxy s7 edge. It's definitively something in the transmitter interfering with the phone compass. Even with the transmitter turned off, putting the phone in the transmitter holding arms makes the map rotate to a completely wrong heading (heading of map is OK when NOT in the transmitter arms . Its something in the transmitter interfering with the compass? - the joystick mechanism?? which I think I read is magnetic??

Have found a potential solution. When I place my phone the other way up (ie rotate it through 180 deg) the magnetic interference goes away! Unfortunately the micro usb port is then on the wrong side, but you can connect the phone via a usb cable to the usb port underneath the transmitter. The compass on my G S7 edge must be towards the left edge (ie the edge normally directly adjacent to the transmitter). Turning the whole thing through 180deg must move the phone compass far enough away from the transmitter to enable it to function OK again. Not that convenient though....!
23_2x.gif

Reactions: adolfo_melilli
That's good info to know, I haven't had an issue with my iPhone 6+ in this regard, at least not since DJI fixed the broken map 'follow' glitch. But my iPad air2 has had compass issues, where the calibrate screen comes up almost every time I use it with the controller, then again when I take it off, so now I know why. Out of habit I always have the plug/button on the right side, next flight I will try having it on the left, turning it 180º and see if that fixes it.

It's not an actual compass issue, but a screen orientation one. That's always been a mess in many apps on various phone platforms, and if it's off by a multiple of 90° you can be pretty sure that's the reason. App asks for compass orientation from phone which gives it relative to a given orientation - but that doesn't match the UI orientation the app is forcing, and nobody thinks of doing the conversion.

It's usually more likely to appear if you have rotation lock enabled and whatever app you're running overrides it by only supporting a given orientation.

Yep, same problem here. Galaxy s7 edge. It's definitively something in the transmitter interfering with the phone compass. Even with the transmitter turned off, putting the phone in the transmitter holding arms makes the map rotate to a completely wrong heading (heading of map is OK when NOT in the transmitter arms . Its something in the transmitter interfering with the compass? - the joystick mechanism?? which I think I read is magnetic??

Have found a potential solution. When I place my phone the other way up (ie rotate it through 180 deg) the magnetic interference goes away! Unfortunately the micro usb port is then on the wrong side, but you can connect the phone via a usb cable to the usb port underneath the transmitter. The compass on my G S7 edge must be towards the left edge (ie the edge normally directly adjacent to the transmitter). Turning the whole thing through 180deg must move the phone compass far enough away from the transmitter to enable it to function OK again. Not that convenient though....!
23_2x.gif

Well, I just got a Pad holder / adapter for the RC and started to use the Mavic with my Ipad Air 2.. no issue so far, no matter which side the home button is oriented... maybe that's because the iPad is far enough from the RC thanks to the Holder, unlike the phone...
What i find strange is thet DJi was such naive not to think about stuff in the RC that can interfere with magnetic field....

please see my thread on
which direction is the RADAR map point pointing towards?

where I have tested a large number of Android phones with MP. I have done all the calibrations on phone and drone and the problem remains that I have 90 deg CCW misorientation. If you turn the "lock" of the map display off you have get it to face right. But if you move the directional stick while flying, the red arrow will dance around and return when you release the directional stick.

Very interested to see if anyone has found a solution. I have an extended RC cable and used that and have the same problem regarless of orientation of cell phone.
tjcooper

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilTone