DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Marco Polo Tracking System...your thoughts with it?

nutsnbolts

Reactions
Ok if money is not an object, I'm assuming this is what everyone would be getting? I would like to know everyone's thoughts about this tracking system. Folks who have it, folks who are thinking about getting it or simply shy'd away from it due to the costs.

I think at the end of day, this is the best out there and although we have other alternatives like the trackimo and tile and whatever other bluetooth/cellular driven devices, the Marco Polo is the surefire...foolproof way of ensuring you get/track your drone every single time.

I don't see why anyone would not want to invest in this (aside from it being an expensive start up cost) but I would like to hear whether folks have anything bad to say about it?

Reactions: ballerhe75
Ok if money is not an object, I'm assuming this is what everyone would be getting? I would like to know everyone's thoughts about this tracking system. Folks who have it, folks who are thinking about getting it or simply shy'd away from it due to the costs.

I think at the end of day, this is the best out there and although we have other alternatives like the trackimo and tile and whatever other bluetooth/cellular driven devices, the Marco Polo is the surefire...foolproof way of ensuring you get/track your drone every single time.

I don't see why anyone would not want to invest in this (aside from it being an expensive start up cost) but I would like to hear whether folks have anything bad to say about it?
Haven't heard of it before. Maybe post a link to it for those of us out of the loop.

I have it and I hope NEVER to have to use it. Having said that I have tested it off drone and managed to locate it in a leaf pile in my son's backyard from a half mile away. It just seemed like the best option for me. I mounted it with the heavy Velcro fasteners and bought a Harbor Freight case for it.

413692099.jpg

413720736.jpg

Jake

I have it and I hope NEVER to have to use it. Having said that I have tested it off drone and managed to locate it in a leaf pile in my son's backyard from a half mile away. It just seemed like the best option for me. I mounted it with the heavy Velcro fasteners and bought a Harbor Freight case for it.

413692099.jpg

413720736.jpg

Jake

Thanks Jake for the pictures. I think I'm torn with purchasing one only because it's another larger thing to carry around once you put a case with it :) Of course, being able to find your drone outweighs any large case to carry in addition :)

As a new flyer I’ve spent 1000$ C. for my mavic,so I think in the long run spending the extra 300 or so for the Marco tracker makes a lot of sense for me. If I make a rookie mistake and lose my mavic, having known about a product like Marco Polo ,my wife might just lose it on me.
To my knowledge the Marco is a mature tech.that has proven to work in other products. So that’s what has convinced me to buy it and hopefully I’ll never need it.

Reactions: bushie
The Marco Polo is a nice tracker, but not too keen on lugging all that **** with me. I use Trackimo

Here's a link to a photo of my installation (the smaller, lighter, non-waterproof version): Techniques to locate lost Mavic - how to find?

In this configuration, the Marco Polo stays in place at all times; the legs fold fine with it in place. Note that the antenna will touch the ground if you don't use leg extenders (which I also leave in place at all times). I've tested it in my heavily-wooded area and feel confident it will function at a realistic 1/4-1/2 mile range, which should do the job assuming I know approximately where it went down.

The only problem I've had with my Marco Polo is remembering to turn it on before flight and off when packing up.

Thanks Jake for the pictures. I think I'm torn with purchasing one only because it's another larger thing to carry around once you put a case with it :) Of course, being able to find your drone outweighs any large case to carry in addition :)

The reason it's in it's own case is that it's used with my Typhoon 4K and Mavic Pro, so I know I'll have it regardless of which ship I'm flying. I don't think I'll use it with my Spark since I don't plan on flying BVLOS with that, and flight times are short enough without any additional payload.

Jake

I have it attached to the top back of my MP. Ran into a tree flying backwards, over 1,200 feet away very hilly forest. See string this forum "Flyaway Not". Works great.

Size is the issue for me. I had another idea that I didn't finish doing, but it would of sent gps coordinates with 2-3 meter accuracy, over RF signal but could not do cellular data. The thing I wanted to build was actually two different things combined, and then a receiver that plugs into a phone, or could simply use a two way radio and mic on phone to get the gps. Total costs would be about 130 usd. Plus 7 bux for the app for the device.

This method would not require directional antennas like the Marco polo.

If I ever do get it working I Will post on this forum about it.

Fyi trackers that use cellular are useless. A5 least for me, the locations that are worth flying, have no cell service. And the Bluetooth ones.... why are they called Gps trackers ? There is nothing gps in them. Marketing those as gps has really confused a lot of people.

413692099.jpg

413720736.jpg

Jake
I like the set up! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: tdost and lightbg
The only one I can find for sale is in USA and $220 plus $60 freight makes it OZ Dollars $350+ !!!
Anyone know another supplier?

Reactions: Skymax
I purchased my Marco from an amazon supplier. Have you checked out amazon? I did have to pay 24 Canadian dollars in duty,but feel it was a worthwhile purchase without question!
My 2 suggestions would be amazon,and the company itself and see what the cost to ship might be. Maybe an online coupon code search could get the purchase price down a smidge,and that might offset a bit of the total cost? Just a thought. Good luck!

Reactions: Skymax
The MarcoPolo arrived at my house a week ago, three days after I ordered it thanks to amazon prime free expedited shipping. I decided to order the newer more water resistant Marco Polo a few days after I lost my MavicPro a block away from my house after a gust of wind carried it away while I took it higher up. I couldn’t find the MavicPro via the built in gps locator (it proved to be about 500feet off) after a few hours of searching but, after posting a few “lost drone” flyers around the surrounding blocks the next morning (being that the incident occurred at sundown the previous day) I received a call a few hours later from a little kid who found it atop a big bush in his neighbors yard. I had looked there but apparently I overlooked it. Luckily it landed there and nowhere else - not a thing was damaged after a 70 foot fall. I immediately considered getting insurance in the drone but have yet to do so, but, I IMMEDIATELY bought the newer MarcoPolo unit and always fly with it on, with the tracker in my backpack. I’ve done some hide and seek tests and have been pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of the device, even when held upright as opposed to outwards like a frying pan when trying to determine the height of the device off the ground (if stuck in a tree or something like that). After reading about places to put it I decided dead smack on the forehead would work best and I haven’t experienced any issues thus far, with or without the propeller cages on. Here’s some pics for your viewing pleasure(s):
IMG_6815.JPGIMG_6539.JPGIMG_6483.JPG

I purchased my Marco from an amazon supplier. Have you checked out amazon? I did have to pay 24 Canadian dollars in duty,but feel it was a worthwhile purchase without question!
My 2 suggestions would be amazon,and the company itself and see what the cost to ship might be. Maybe an online coupon code search could get the purchase price down a smidge,and that might offset a bit of the total cost? Just a thought. Good luck!

Yes none of the Amazon sellers ship to Australia, coupons are not available to foreign nationals.
Plus buying anything electronic from the USA is fraught with customs problems and fees whereas the same products from china are not subject to taxes, delays and huge postal fees.
Thats why we all buy our stuff from china but they have none of this brand.
I have DJI insurance so I will have to stay over accessible terrain and rely on the map coords to find a lost drone that works most of the time and heck, $350 is a lot of money.

Last edited:
Reactions: bushie

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne