DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Massachusetts

jerryflah

Reactions
any Mavicteers in Massachusetts?
I live in Plymouth, in Southeastern Mass, a stone's throw from Cape Cod.
My Mavic is preordered from Carolina Dronz. Looking for Ship date within a week or two.
I've piloted a Phantom Vision 2 And currently fly a Yuneec Chroma.
Hoping to team up with some Mavic pilots to inform and be better informed about this splendid Craft.
Will travel

Hi Jerryflah,
I am in central Mass (Hubbardston) Have my Mavic for a couple of months. I have only flown it a half dozen times or so cuse of the weather. It looks like this weekend might be good for flying. Let me know if you would like to get together

Reactions: jerryflah and ToddR
Hi Jerryflah, Mark.

I'm in Boston, which is very limited for flying locations.
I've had my Mavic since November and took it out every day I could until the weather turned.
I have about 50 flights now and am cramming for the Part 107 test.

I hope you've gotten yours by now JerryFlah...it is an amazing piece of tech and I hope you're enjoying it.

Hi Jerryflah and other mavic owners

I've had mine for a month now, not much flight time yet, busy learning camera setting and more.
Jerry my cousin recently purchased the [1620 winery] in plymouth at the village landing market place.
So when the weather gets better i'm going to take some nice overhead pics for her. Good luck to all with
your drone's be safe and enjoy.

Fam has a beach house in Plymouth so luckily I've gotten to fly all over Plymouth! Nice area to check out! You're going to love it! First thing I did was hit the beach and maxed out the distance!

Reactions: jerryflah
Hey Thead,
Where in Auburn do you fly? I'm in Hubbardston There are a couple of nice ponds that we fly at. Come check them out some time?

Last edited:
Hi MA folks! I'm new to the thread, and I have a few questions:

1. I just got my Mavic, and I live in Boston, so I'm having trouble finding a good place to practice flying that doesn't involve 30 minutes of driving! I really wanted to go to the park off Neponset river, but that is still in the edge of Logan's airspace. Any suggestions of good, open spaces to practice that are closer to Boston? I'm closer to Milton/Quincy.

2. Does anyone know if the state parks prohibit drones? I really want to go to Halibut park to photograph the quarry, but it's a state park. I'm waiting to hear back from them, but thought I'd ask here to get a quicker answer.

3. Any recommendations for areas that have nice, jaggedy rock formations? I am willing to drive a ways for this. Again, need to find places where flying is allowed.
Thanks!!

Hey Flyers ...
Any experience flying in March heavy winds ~ around Boston ?
I've had absolutely ... No problems so far .
The Mavic is amazingly stable and 4K video is super steady. Do you all agree ???
This is just a wind test; edited with iMovie !

See this in this Youtube video :
Charles River (heavy wind test2).mp4

Thanks

Last edited:
Mass DCR bans take-off, landing and in-flight control of a UAS. You can apply for a permit for Commercial use but the process is ridiculous. I didn't know about this until last year when I was at Wompatuck State Park doing a Commercial shoot for a large company. Ranger questioned me briefly then gave me the OK to fly when I showed my credentials. It's still not well outlined

Mass DCR bans take-off, landing and in-flight control of a UAS. You can apply for a permit for Commercial use but the process is ridiculous. I didn't know about this until last year when I was at Wompatuck State Park doing a Commercial shoot for a large company. Ranger questioned me briefly then gave me the OK to fly when I showed my credentials. It's still not well outlined

Is this written anywhere?

i know anything done and finished by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, like the new barre ma. dam and park...........NO FLY ZONE, ive seen small antennas all over the place , rumors they are drone killers......."".just told by passer by"", i did not realize i was only a mile away ,and did fly over, but i will not post video, i asked rangers and they told me the story, but it is a beautiful place to shoot, it says no aircraft to fly over in there brochure, but nothing on drones or unmanned craft, but ranger says making new flyers for summer, but i was also told if you just fly over and unaware they wont bust balls, but never take off and land......they should remove the name recreation , because thats my recreation

327.4 Aircraft. (a) This section pertains to all aircraft including, but not limited to, airplanes, seaplanes, helicopters, ultra-light aircraft, motorized hang gliders, hot air balloons, any non-powered flight devices or any other such equipment. (b) The operation of aircraft on project lands at locations other than those designated by the District Commander is prohibited. This provision shall not be applicable to aircraft engaged on official business of Federal, state or local governments or law enforcement agencies, aircraft used in emergency rescue in accordance with the directions of the District Commander or aircraft forced to land due to circumstances beyond the control of the operator. (c) No person shall operate any aircraft while on or above project waters or project lands in a careless, negligent or reckless manner so as to endanger any person, property or environmental feature. (d) Nothing in this section bestows authority to deviate from rules and regulations or prescribed standards of the appropriate State Aeronautical Agency, or the Federal Aviation Administration, including, but not limited to, regulations and standards concerning pilot certifications or ratings, and airspace requirements. (e) Except in extreme emergencies threatening human life or serious property loss, the air delivery or retrieval of any person, material or equipment by parachute, balloon, helicopter or other means onto or from project lands or waters without written permission of the District Commander is prohibited.

327.4 Aircraft. (a) This section pertains to all aircraft including, but not limited to, airplanes, seaplanes, helicopters, ultra-light aircraft, motorized hang gliders, hot air balloons, any non-powered flight devices or any other such equipment. (b) The operation of aircraft on project lands at locations other than those designated by the District Commander is prohibited. This provision shall not be applicable to aircraft engaged on official business of Federal, state or local governments or law enforcement agencies, aircraft used in emergency rescue in accordance with the directions of the District Commander or aircraft forced to land due to circumstances beyond the control of the operator. (c) No person shall operate any aircraft while on or above project waters or project lands in a careless, negligent or reckless manner so as to endanger any person, property or environmental feature. (d) Nothing in this section bestows authority to deviate from rules and regulations or prescribed standards of the appropriate State Aeronautical Agency, or the Federal Aviation Administration, including, but not limited to, regulations and standards concerning pilot certifications or ratings, and airspace requirements. (e) Except in extreme emergencies threatening human life or serious property loss, the air delivery or retrieval of any person, material or equipment by parachute, balloon, helicopter or other means onto or from project lands or waters without written permission of the District Commander is prohibited.

So this rules out public parks under DCR law etc? Arnt all parks DCR?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne