DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Master Air Screwed!

Chopperphil

Reactions
Just bought a set of low noise Master Air Screw props for my Mavic Air because some one here raved about them. Save your $.
MAS claimed 3.5 db drop or about 33% less noise calculated by (20.(Log(Amplitude 1/ Amplitude 2). Actual result DJI props 69.4db
MAS props 71.2db. Truth be told I used a cell phone with a sound meter App but all parameters (hovering distance and microphone position were the same.(And in an enclosed room). I don't have a second Mavic so I can't do a side by side comparison. Got any thoughts anybody?

Talk to the manufacturer. It's possible you have a flawed blade that's ruining the balance and harmonics? They'll probably be interested to help.

Reactions: Texas Mavic
Interesting, a friend of mine purchased some for his Air, he installed them for the first time while I was with him and we both agreed they are noticably quieter than the stock (completely different pitch). I was honestly surprised at how much difference there was. Now, I'm not rushing out to buy a set, the noise of the stock ones doesn't bother me, but if mine break I may get some.

Also Thomas B, if you want to point something out. Why don't you start with the title of his post. I am pretty sure that is not how you spell that companies name. I am also quite sure they will take exception to how he spelled it. Based on a phone app comparison.
"Master Air Screwed!"

Not relevant to OPs problem I think.

He is telling people to save their money based on his experience. I was relaying my experience.
Or are you trying to censor me?

How do you get censor me from a statement that points out the OP (Original Poster (first post in thread)) is talking about MAS Mavic Air props and you reference a Mavic Pro? Different AC and different prop design (fixed vs folding).

Last edited:
Just bought a set of low noise Master Air Screw props for my Mavic Air because some one here raved about them. Save your $.
MAS claimed 3.5 db drop or about 33% less noise calculated by (20.(Log(Amplitude 1/ Amplitude 2). Actual result DJI props 69.4db
MAS props 71.2db. Truth be told I used a cell phone with a sound meter App but all parameters (hovering distance and microphone position were the same.(And in an enclosed room). I don't have a second Mavic so I can't do a side by side comparison. Got any thoughts anybody?
Not a scientific way to perform your experiment. The props would have a different pitch, so measurement would be a range of frequencies. Also, the drone is expected to be flown outside, so in an enclosed space, you get different result. Depending on the shape of the enclosed space, different sound waves can be reverberated and amplified. Unless it was conducted in a sound-proof room that absorbs sound hitting the walls.
In the end, sound volume is quite subjective. Some pitch are more pleasing than others. So even if they have the same dB, the more annoying sound would feel louder. And the older you get, the range of frequencies you hear reduces. If they can make props that can sound like mosquitoes, old people won't be able to hear a thing.
Just go outside an fly. Once with the original and once with the MAS, and if you don't like the sound of the MAS props, then don't use it.

I thought we were talking about props. How they move air is what we are talking about. Not aircraft design.
Yes, I got censor from the use of 'Not relevant.' I have heard people at meetings use that term when they want to shut down people who are talking. Like when someone brings up a point and another person says 'Not relevant.' They are censoring that person from talking at the meeting. Think about how you would use that term and how it could be taken where on a forum where they are just words. Not face to face where you can infer tone and inflection in a phrase like that. Maybe he meant nothing by it. But, without that perspective. I took exception to it.

Reactions: Drgnfli
I thought we were talking about props. How they move air is what we are talking about. Not aircraft design.
Yes, I got censor from the use of 'Not relevant.' I have heard people at meetings use that term when they want to shut down people who are talking. Like when someone brings up a point and another person says 'Not relevant.' They are censoring that person from talking at the meeting. Think about how you would use that term and how it could be taken where on a forum where they are just words. Not face to face where you can infer tone and inflection in a phrase like that. Maybe he meant nothing by it. But, without that perspective. I took exception to it.

Here the term not relevant means just that don't read anything into it. I'm sure Thomas was just trying to keep the posts in line with the original topic which was MAS props for the Mavic Air. I think you will find the group here helpful and knowledgeable. The MAS propellers for the Mavic Air have not been out very long so feedback is always valued. And a Moderator will let you know when you cross a line (I know), if that happens learn from it an carry on. Fly safe and take care.

I had issues with my Mavic Air and Master Screw props. I was told from the manufacture to set all my Gain Settings to 80%. That seemed to make the props run much better on my Unit. Yes, I'm running them now.

Reactions: tleedom

Here is the deal as mentioned time and time again:
The Master Airscrew Mavic Air propellers are NOT quieter per se.
They are at a different pitch during operation than the stock propellers.
Theory is, the lower the pitch, the less annoying (loud) they are.

ME is the the only MEter that matters. I am very happy with the new props. Better than I expected from the reviews.
I’m totally calm and comfortable flying close. Stock blades I would immediately go high or far, then start just to get the nails on the chalkboard annoyance away.
Of course that’s just ME.

If you are so unhappy with them, can't you just return them? How exactly are you screwed?

Reactions: ABHIII
I purchased a set for my MA and they are less noisy but I get a motor current error message after takeoff. I clear it and it returns a few minutes later. The manufacturer was very helpful during troubleshooting but was unable to resolve the problem.

I purchased a set for my MA and they are less noisy but I get a motor current error message after takeoff. I clear it and it returns a few minutes later. The manufacturer was very helpful during troubleshooting but was unable to resolve the problem.

Manufacturer should have that answer because it is right on their web page:

I too also getting motor error until I did a 80% change across the board in the Gain Settings.... when I put the OEM props back on I kick it up to 100% factory setting.

I tried a set and without getting all technical about it, I “perceived” a slight drop in noise especially the higher up I flew. I think they do what they are advertised to do.

Reactions: pmshop
You can try swapping the props around. Sounds strange but when I did the error completely stopped. I was getting really frustrated about it. Not really sure why it seemed to make the difference though.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin